The Student Room Group

PPL vs Upper/Lower vs Bro Split

Sup guys,

I want to know which of the following routines will be more beneficial if i want to gain mass. I find it hard to put on weight as im 6`2 and weigh about 75kg.

I have about 16 weeks till i go to university and want to get a good size on me. I am not new to training i have been training for about a year but because of sixth form i have never really stuck to any routine. Now that i have about 4 months i have alot more time and flexibility on study leave to train on the days i want.

My real question is for a skinny tall kid which of the following will be better to pack on a decent amount of muscle and size.

PPL twice a week

Upper/Lower twice a week

Or the standard sort of Chest/Back/Shoulders/Arms/Legs

Also if someone could hook me up with some good exercises for any of the body parts that will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks guys
If you want to gain mass then make sure you are training the key lifts (squats, bench, deadlifts et al) and getting stronger at them . The specifics of the split you use isn't that important, as long as it's sensible.

It should also go without saying that you need to eat a lot of food.
Original post by Smack
If you want to gain mass then make sure you are training the key lifts (squats, bench, deadlifts et al) and getting stronger at them . The specifics of the split you use isn't that important, as long as it's sensible.

It should also go without saying that you need to eat a lot of food.

Although i Squat and i am working up in weight; I dont bench press (My shoulders feel uncomfortable after) and i dont deadlift as my knees are forced into too much pressure.

To make up for the bench i tend to do DB press and Incline Bench. However i dont really have a substitute for Deadlifts.

Currently im running an Upper/Lower which looks something like;

Flat DB Press
Incline Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Cable Rows
OHP
Tricep Dips
Tricep EZ Bar Skullcrushers
Barbell Bicep Curl

Thats how one typical Upper workout is like (too much??) and on the following workout i will do 2 bicep movements and 1 tricep.

I eat about 3000kcal which im gaining about 0.5kg.
Upper/lower is better, higher frequencies is always gonna be better than training each muscle once a week as a beginner. Eat more, too.
Original post by Massethetics
Although i Squat and i am working up in weight; I dont bench press (My shoulders feel uncomfortable after) and i dont deadlift as my knees are forced into too much pressure.

To make up for the bench i tend to do DB press and Incline Bench. However i dont really have a substitute for Deadlifts.

Flat DB Press
Incline Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Cable Rows
OHP
Tricep Dips
Barbell Bicep Curl

Thats how one typical Upper workout is like (too much??) and on the following workout i will do 2 bicep movements and 1 tricep.

Learn to deadlift correctly so that your knees aren't under excessive pressure, eat more food, and a lot of those exercises are "fluff" and aren't likely making any difference to your physique,

Flat DB Press
Incline Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Cable Rows
OHP
Tricep Dips
Barbell Bicep Curl

Seems like you're doing alright mate, change one of those rows for pullups/pulldowns though and alternate between close grip and wide grip rows between workouts. Stick to one chest exercise per workout as well, alternating between exercises. Same with tris and bis.
What's your lower day looking like?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Smack
Learn to deadlift correctly so that your knees aren't under excessive pressure, eat more food, and a lot of those exercises are "fluff" and aren't likely making any difference to your physique,

I wear knee straps and have got people to watch my form and they said the form was fine, and by fluff what do you mean?

Original post by WoodyMKC
Seems like you're doing alright mate, change one of those rows for pullups/pulldowns though and alternate between close grip and wide grip rows between workouts. Stick to one chest exercise per workout as well, alternating between exercises. Same with tris and bis.
What's your lower day looking like?

Thanks man, I will definitely incorporate the pull downs, by the close grip and wide grip rows what do you mean? And okay so do like Incline Bench, Barbell Rows, Pulldown, OHP, Skull Crushers and Bicep Curl? Something like that?

And well for lower i have split it in two, one session is Quads and Calves so typical would be Squats, Front Squats and Leg Extensions then some calf raises and Traps. The other session will be Leg Curl, Stiff Leg DB Deadlift, Lunges and then some calfs and traps?

My main issue is my consistency, i need to stick to something and because i dont i find it hard to train and go up in weight. Any advice on the above let me know mate. Thanks for your help.
Thanks man, I will definitely incorporate the pull downs, by the close grip and wide grip rows what do you mean? And okay so do like Incline Bench, Barbell Rows, Pulldown, OHP, Skull Crushers and Bicep Curl? Something like that?

And well for lower i have split it in two, one session is Quads and Calves so typical would be Squats, Front Squats and Leg Extensions then some calf raises and Traps. The other session will be Leg Curl, Stiff Leg DB Deadlift, Lunges and then some calfs and traps?

My main issue is my consistency, i need to stick to something and because i dont i find it hard to train and go up in weight. Any advice on the above let me know mate. Thanks for your help.

So with close grip rows, you keep the hands and elbows close into the body. Keeps the focus on the mid-lower lats, the meatiest part of the back. You stand a bit more upright at 45 degrees as this helps pull more with the lats.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/images/2012/get-mile-wide-3.jpg

With wide grip rows, you grip the bar with your hands further apart and the elbows flared out to the side, which targets all the small upper back muscles (rear delts, teres, mid-lower traps and so on). Bent over at 90 degrees with this one.
http://www.musclemag.com/content/content/5929/Bent-Over-Barbell-Row.jpg

If you're gonna do traps, do them on the upper day mate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Depends how long you go to the gym for. I would say 3x per week doing PPL. If you have more time possibly follow arnolds bulking guide. CB,SA,L,CB,SA,L,Rest
Original post by WoodyMKC
So with close grip rows, you keep the hands and elbows close into the body. Keeps the focus on the mid-lower lats, the meatiest part of the back. You stand a bit more upright at 45 degrees as this helps pull more with the lats.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/images/2012/get-mile-wide-3.jpg

With wide grip rows, you grip the bar with your hands further apart and the elbows flared out to the side, which targets all the small upper back muscles (rear delts, teres, mid-lower traps and so on). Bent over at 90 degrees with this one.
http://www.musclemag.com/content/content/5929/Bent-Over-Barbell-Row.jpg

If you're gonna do traps, do them on the upper day mate.

Thanks mate, i will definitely give them a go. And traps i find it really hard to do on Upper day but i guess since im cutting out a few exercises i will have more energy.

What chest exercises would you recommend for thickness and overall mass? I feel my chest and shoulders are the main slackers.

Original post by NoahMal
Depends how long you go to the gym for. I would say 3x per week doing PPL. If you have more time possibly follow arnolds bulking guide. CB,SA,L,CB,SA,L,Rest

Well i have 16 weeks from next week till i start University, so im looking for a plan i can use for 16 weeks as i have plenty of free time albeit i have my exams but im not bound for 6 hours at school so i can work around it.

I have heard negative things about Arnies Blueprint, in that it does not allow enough recovery time? P/P/L sounds good but at the moment im more tempted to give a Upper/Lower a go for 16 weeks, and see??
Thanks mate, i will definitely give them a go. And traps i find it really hard to do on Upper day but i guess since im cutting out a few exercises i will have more energy.

What chest exercises would you recommend for thickness and overall mass? I feel my chest and shoulders are the main slackers.

Well i have 16 weeks from next week till i start University, so im looking for a plan i can use for 16 weeks as i have plenty of free time albeit i have my exams but im not bound for 6 hours at school so i can work around it.

I have heard negative things about Arnies Blueprint, in that it does not allow enough recovery time? P/P/L sounds good but at the moment im more tempted to give a Upper/Lower a go for 16 weeks, and see??

Yes there is 3 days recovery between a bodypart

Quick Reply

Latest