The Student Room Group

that AQA AS new spec Chemistry exam though...

Personally, I didn't like it at all, I don't think I got many marks and will probably not even pass, so help me god.

how did you find it? Grade boundaries?

Scroll to see replies

Unofficial mark scheme: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4125207

I found it generally OK, but I have heard a lot of people, and teachers, saying this is one of the hardest AS exams ever. I think the boundaries are going to be no higher than standard, and probably lower. I.e. <80% for a A with 10% intervals. I predict 75% for an A, personally.

Smash the second paper and it should be fine!
Gotta agree ^ found it ok but made several careless mistakes in calculation, hopefully isn't too costly. Look forward to paper 2, it will be much better!
I've screwed up 3/4 of my exams so far. Not feeling great about it. I'm so upset. The paper was doable for me, but I was pressured for time, and ended up rushing it and making so many mistakes, it was so much to do in one hour an a half. I've dropped anywhere from 15-25 marks. Ugh. I hope my chances of an A have not been lost.
Original post by Turtlebunny
I've screwed up 3/4 of my exams so far. Not feeling great about it. I'm so upset. The paper was doable for me, but I was pressured for time, and ended up rushing it and making so many mistakes, it was so much to do in one hour an a half. I've dropped anywhere from 15-25 marks. Ugh. I hope my chances of an A have not been lost.

Smash paper 2 and you should be fine. I'm not sure how I did on the multi-choice: that's my only worry. And no point worrying about it as it'll screw up next exams and one cannot change it now.

Grade boundaries might even allow you to get a very nice B or low A on this paper (losing 15 will get an A for definite either way), so just focus on the next exam and don't worry about it. You'll be fine!
Reply 5
Original post by britishtf2
Unofficial mark scheme: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4125207

I found it generally OK, but I have heard a lot of people, and teachers, saying this is one of the hardest AS exams ever. I think the boundaries are going to be no higher than standard, and probably lower. I.e. <80% for a A with 10% intervals. I predict 75% for an A, personally.

Smash the second paper and it should be fine!

Original post by rosemondtan
Gotta agree ^ found it ok but made several careless mistakes in calculation, hopefully isn't too costly. Look forward to paper 2, it will be much better!

I made so many mistakes, even on the easiest questions. the maximum marks I am getting is 12 or so, I am failing this paper without a doubt. The second paper has to be my saviour
Smash paper 2 and you should be fine. I'm not sure how I did on the multi-choice: that's my only worry. And no point worrying about it as it'll screw up next exams and one cannot change it now.

Grade boundaries might even allow you to get a very nice B or low A on this paper (losing 15 will get an A for definite either way), so just focus on the next exam and don't worry about it. You'll be fine!

Aye, I shall try to focus on the next exam, it's really demoarlising though, when you've been top of the class all year, and you've gotten A's, and I know that I could've got 70+ on the paper, given like 15 more minutes to complete it and check it properly. Maybe I've done better than I thought, because I've been very harsh on myself when using the unofficial markscheme. I've definetley lost 15 marks from multiple choice and stupid mistakes, the other 10 are just marks that I'm saying I've lost, just because I'm pessimistic after that exam and others
I think we should have a moment of silence for all AQA AS chemistry students :'(
Aye, I shall try to focus on the next exam, it's really demoarlising though, when you've been top of the class all year, and you've gotten A's, and I know that I could've got 70+ on the paper, given like 15 more minutes to complete it and check it properly. Maybe I've done better than I thought, because I've been very harsh on myself when using the unofficial markscheme. I've definetley lost 15 marks from multiple choice and stupid mistakes, the other 10 are just marks that I'm saying I've lost, just because I'm pessimistic after that exam and others

Felt the same with my FP1 exam. Been getting 70+/72 for every paper, under controlled conditions, just to **** the real thing, getting 58-60. Trust me when I say it's gets better.

I reckon the boundaries should be fairly nice, if they change them, so you should get that A. Good luck!
Original post by runningcat
I made so many mistakes, even on the easiest questions. the maximum marks I am getting is 12 or so, I am failing this paper without a doubt. The second paper has to be my saviour

Unfortunate to hear, though I doubt you will do as bad as you think you did. Either way, block this paper out of your mind and smash the second paper. You'll be fine :smile:
Felt the same with my FP1 exam. Been getting 70+/72 for every paper, under controlled conditions, just to **** the real thing, getting 58-60. Trust me when I say it's gets better.

I reckon the boundaries should be fairly nice, if they change them, so you should get that A. Good luck!

OCR Physics was worse than this exam too! Argh!
Thank god for this post!!
I mean I wasn't very optimistic give that it's chem and I'm crap at chem anyway but I honestly don't think I've even got an e. And the second paper won't be any better for me bc I can't do Chem regardless of what it is!

Posted from TSR Mobile
OCR Physics was worse than this exam too! Argh!

AQA was actually nice this year. OCR change their boundaries, at least for maths, very liberally, so if everyone found it hard, then that will definitely be shown in the boundaries: I wouldn't worry about that one.
Original post by jenni:)
I mean I wasn't very optimistic give that it's chem and I'm crap at chem anyway but I honestly don't think I've even got an e. And the second paper won't be any better for me bc I can't do Chem regardless of what it is!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, good luck in the second paper. Revise mechanisms - at least 1 is likely to come up, maybe 2. Could be 5-10 marks right there.
Reply 14
Unfortunate to hear, though I doubt you will do as bad as you think you did. Either way, block this paper out of your mind and smash the second paper. You'll be fine :smile:

thanks for reassuring :smile: but I can guarantee that the tears I cried after the exam weren't for nothing. I messed up, big time. wish me luck for the second paper, I'm going to need it.
thanks for reassuring :smile: but I can guarantee that the tears I cried after the exam weren't for nothing. I messed up, big time. wish me luck for the second paper, I'm going to need it.

Good luck my friend.
Good luck.
Reply 16
Original post by jenni:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know thinking negatively will be of no use, but I cant help it, I was actually shocked at how crap I was answering the questions. good luck for paper 2

Revise mechanisms and organic chem in general and you should be fine. Good luck *hugs*.
Reply 18
Revise mechanisms and organic chem in general and you should be fine. Good luck *hugs*.

Thanks! *hugs* I'm going to need all the advice I can get, if only I was confident:3
Thanks! *hugs* I'm going to need all the advice I can get, if only I was confident:3

It's annoying I can't give you much advice on what to revise the most, seeing as it's the new spec. I reckon 1 or 2 mechanisms though. Probably a bit of skeletal formula, seeing as it's new to the spec. Not sure on the rest though.

PM with any questions you wanna ask, and I'll give them my best shot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending