The Student Room Group

Is an A at GCSE enough?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveire&song
I meant currently taking it (also sorryI wasn't clear!). Sorry if I've come across as harsh, I just don't think you should give advice on a subject you haven't had any experience of. I know you probably didn't mean to, but the formula you posted was very intimidating. I was very confident in my maths abilities in year 11, but that would have scared me off and made me do a double take.

How would you feel if a year nine was giving you advice about gcse maths?

I suppose when you put it into that perspective, I can see where you're coming from.

At the end of the day, we've agreed to disagree- I put up some formulae to try and portray something which, as you rightly say, I haven't any true experience of, and you've told me about that.

But it's okay- there's a bunch of people who've come across as harsh, but I suppose I was potentially crossing onto the territory that I know not well enough.
Reply 61
Original post by Arsey2.0
I guarantee you'll never have to see anything like that and be expected to work with equations like that in A level. TeenPolyglot has clearly just searched for 'complicated maths equations' or something and copied them into this thread without any idea of what maths a level is actually like

Yeah I know it looked like something from degree level or something like that.
I guarantee you'll never have to see anything like that and be expected to work with equations like that in A level. TeenPolyglot has clearly just searched for 'complicated maths equations' or something and copied them into this thread without any idea of what maths a level is actually like

Well, I used the A Level formulae booklets, but as I said to another user, I have stepped onto somewhat of a territory in which I have not enough knowledge to give good advice.

And I am sorry for that.

don't shoot me please

:redface:
Reply 63
Original post by rxns_00
I do see what you mean and I know you tried to convey what you find interesting, but you only would find it interesting if you understand the proof behind it. Also remember that not many people will have a similar interest even when they understand it - a lot of people take maths for the sake of taking maths

Honestly don't worry. Maths AS is really nice, but personally I don't like the choice of applied modules. M1 is ok but M2 is where it gets interesting. S1 and the lot is a bore and I don't consider decision a real form of maths. Core modules are decent and the step up wont be as bad as people make it out to be!
I'd also recommend further maths but it's probably unnecessary for you. You could have a look at it if you wanted to anyway

Yeah I have seen the core papers and they aren't too bad I think. Probably with practice it should be natural
Original post by Rajive
Yeah I know it looked like something from degree level or something like that.

Exactly and before you started GCSE, you may have seen GCSE maths and been intimidated by the sin( cos( tan( buttons on your calculator. Once you know what they are, you realise it's actually not that complicated or difficult.
Reply 65
Exactly and before you started GCSE, you may have seen GCSE maths and been intimidated by the sin( cos( tan( buttons on your calculator. Once you know what they are, you realise it's actually not that complicated or difficult.

Yeah I remember those times.
Original post by Rajive
Yeah I have seen the core papers and they aren't too bad I think. Probably with practice it should be natural

C1 is easy for majority of students but a lot of people score lower on the C2 but I think it's probably the more interesting one :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by rxns_00
C1 is easy for majority of students but a lot of people score lower on the C2 but I think it's probably the more interesting one :smile:

Oh right.
Original post by Rajive
Yeah I remember those times.

There's no 'step'. It's actually all relative and as I've said, some of the topics are the same as GCSE for C1 which is sine , cosine, simultaneous equations, quadratics. It's a very smooth transition that I wasn't expecting and maths a level is actually easy even though everyone things because it's maths, it'll be harder than other subjects relative to the GCSE learning curve. It's just new topics and longer answer questions
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
There's no 'step'. It's actually all relative and as I've said, some of the topics are the same as GCSE for C1 which is sine , cosine, simultaneous equations, quadratics

Okay, i feel more confident now.
Reply 70
An A is a great grade to start A-level maths with. There was only one person in my maths class that got an A*, pretty much all of us had A's and we all seemed to do okay. Just don't underestimate how much work it does take to succeed in maths though, so many people have gone forward expecting to understand everything after an easy ride at GCSE with nothing to show after 2 years. WORK HARD and a good grade will be a breeze :smile:

Sidenote: Also, I bloody hope the answer to your thread title is a yes because that was all I got at GCSE :tongue: Seriously though, you'll be fine.
Original post by Rajive
Guys I just wanted assurance that an A at GCSE maths is a sign that the person could handle a level maths if they enjoy it?

I think it depends on the person. My friend got an A in her maths GCSE and coped just fine with it at A level. I got an A* at GCSE but could never have coped with it at A level so didn't even consider carrying on with it.
Reply 72
Original post by meloj
An A is a great grade to start A-level maths with. There was only one person in my maths class that got an A*, pretty much all of us had A's and we all seemed to do okay. Just don't underestimate how much work it does take to succeed in maths though, so many people have gone forward expecting to understand everything after an easy ride at GCSE with nothing to show after 2 years. WORK HARD and a good grade will be a breeze :smile:

Sidenote: Also, I bloody hope the answer to your thread title is a yes because that was all I got at GCSE :tongue: Seriously though, you'll be fine.

Thank you, what grade did you eventually get overall?
Reply 73
Original post by Rajive
Thank you, what grade did you eventually get overall?

In AS maths last year I got an overall B with BAC in core 1, core 2 and s1 respectively. I'm hoping to keep the overall B this year as I'm currently just finishing year 13 - four weeks to go until freedom! :biggrin:
Reply 74
Original post by meloj
In AS maths last year I got an overall B with BAC in core 1, core 2 and s1 respectively. I'm hoping to keep the overall B this year as I'm currently just finishing year 13 - four weeks to go until freedom! :biggrin:

I wish you luck and success.
Reply 75
Original post by Rajive
I wish you luck and success.

Thank you!! Same to you, all the best with your results.

Quick Reply

Latest