The Student Room Group

Lower Uni Fees to 3000

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/128710

Please can everyone sign up this will help everyone with their fees. Yeah you would kinda be shooting yourself in the foot if you don't participate..

Scroll to see replies

It's not happening. After the announcement of uncapped fees the other day the current government aren't going to suddenly turn around and go "Oh look, this is actually an amazing idea from Josh!" and lower the fees.

I do think the current fees are too high, but I also believe that in general fees are a good thing and they should exist. But the government isn't changing the current system any time soon, especially after just changing it.

So no, I wont be signing. Sorry buddy.
Original post by NoahMal

Please can everyone sign up this will help everyone with their fees. Yeah you would kinda be shooting yourself in the foot if you don't participate..

Nothing Will change they have a majority -there is more chance of it going even higher
Original post by pizzanomics
I do think the current fees are too high, but I also believe that in general fees are a good thing and they should exist. But the government isn't changing the current system any time soon, especially after just changing it.

Agreed.
It's not the issue of not being able to afford university. Anyone can afford it but it's merely about whether the debt you have to pay is worth the qualification and education you receive. This, in my opinion, is the problem. Some courses at some universities are now not worth the price anymore. Though £9000 is too high, £3000 is too low. The proportion of university income coming from fees is substantial and fees lead to higher quality teaching and research which is a good thing.

Not only do I disagree with the petition, pigs will fly before the government lowers tuition fees anyway.
Original post by NoahMal

How about getting rid of tuition fees altogether? Scotland has free Tuition, why can't we? If money is the problem then how about more taxes on the rich and the bankers who need to pay their way more.

Ironically it was these rich bankers who probably got free tuition back in the 70s and 80s, now their screwing our futures by making university unaffordable.
Reply 6
as per usual blame the bankers. what a low blow
Original post by Ambitious1999
How about getting rid of tuition fees altogether? Scotland has free Tuition, why can't we? If money is the problem then how about more taxes on the rich and the bankers who need to pay their way more.

Ironically it was these rich bankers who probably got free tuition back in the 70s and 80s, now their screwing our futures by making university unaffordable.

Scotland only afford it due to a nice fat stimulus from England. We are in enough debt and the sheer size of England and its education system vs minuscule Scotland makes it impossible. No fees = rubbish unis = morons = worse off country.

Uni is affordable to everyone as everyone can get loans which they then only pay back when they make good money. Also barely anyone went to uni in the 70/80s and their was little international competition so it was okay to be state funded. Typical you just want to tax tax tax or as I call it destroying ambition and punishing achievement
How are they going to pay for the shortfall?

If students acted as a unform lobby group then they would have to be listened to, but they never have..

The petition will get nowhere.
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
Scotland only afford it due to a nice fat stimulus from England. We are in enough debt and the sheer size of England and its education system vs minuscule Scotland makes it impossible. No fees = rubbish unis = morons = worse off country.

Uni is affordable to everyone as everyone can get loans which they then only pay back when they make good money. Also barely anyone went to uni in the 70/80s and their was little international competition so it was okay to be state funded. Typical you just want to tax tax tax or as I call it destroying ambition and punishing achievement

It's not a case of punishing achievement. Too many people were born with silver spoons their mouths, or had the right connections to get to the top of banking, civil service etc. They never achieved anything only what was handed them on a plate including free uni tuition and generous maintenance grants that they now have denied the children of today.

Some of these rich people need to experience paying their way and hardship, for example the poor persons dilemma in winter, of heat or eat. Pay debts or buy food.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
It's not a case of punishing achievement. Too many people were born with silver spoons their mouths, or had the right connections to get to the top of banking, civil service etc. They never achieved anything only what was handed them on a plate including free uni tuition and generous maintenance grants that they now have denied the children of today.

Some of these rich people need to experience paying their way and hardship, for example the poor persons dilemma in winter, of heat or eat. Pay debts or buy food.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Typical hatred and jealously, lets punish the prosperous and if other people are poor we better ensure everyone is poor. Do you not hear yourself? disgusting attitude. Everything wrong with the left!

We can either have unlimited university places and high fees or no/low fees and fewer places if you want the government to be responsible with spending rather than creating more debt for future generations.

The top 3,000 earners already contribute more in taxes than the bottom 9,000,000 so who would you say is not paying "their fair share"? Demonizing the rich because you're upset you can't get something you want for free, even though you are offered an incredibly accessible loan, is just the politics of envy and staggeringly naive.

You're correct about people back in the 70s and 80s who probably went to university for free when there were fewer places, however, back then there was more demand for highly educated individuals and much less supply of them. Nowadays with everybody wanting a university education regardless of whether or not it offers any benefit to society it is perfectly reasonable to ask them to pay for it rather than burden the tax payer with the cost like when the fees were only £3,000 p/a.

I say all this as a student starting university in September.

Cheers
As long as government subsidises education the price will remain high.
Original post by 999tigger
how are they going to pay for the shortfall?

If students acted as a unform lobby group then they would have to be listened to, but they never have..

The petition will get nowhere.

but i want to talk about equality in the democratic people's republic of congo. Don't you care about equality!?
I can't handle this level of shitposting

1458403921141.jpg
Original post by otester
As long as government subsidises education the price will remain high.

Cuba, China and Vietnam all provide free university education for all. They can do it because the nations wealth is equally divided which means good eduction and public services.

In Britain, America etc the majority of the nations wealth is possessed by a tiny few at the top, and if that wealth was released we would be a much better country.
Cuba, China and Vietnam all provide free university education for all. They can do it because the nations wealth is equally divided which means good eduction and public services.

In Britain, America etc the majority of the nations wealth is possessed by a tiny few at the top, and if that wealth was released we would be a much better country.

Um, no. They aren't Botswana bad but both have lower income equality than most of Western Europe.

It seems mad to hold up China and Vietnam as examples of countries we should try to emulate.
Signed but I doubt anything will come of it

What do you mean by released?

Quick Reply

Latest