The Student Room Group

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Epitype
Unfortuately, you wouldn't get any marks for it.
What you could've written was;
- DNA is double Stranded
- DNA has Deoxyribose
- DNA has Thymine, instead of Uracil
(accept converse)

I said DNA was a longer molecule than RNA?
Original post by chelseaoscar15
My teacher gave me a list of maths skill we a required to know for as and a2 and t-test, chi square, c.coeff are not for AS, we even asked our teacher (my class) and she said we deffo don't need to know this stuff for the paper this year....

They used to be a part of the older specification for A2, but now, they have been moved down to AS. Therefore, this means that AS Students and A2 students of the new specification will need to know this.

-Anis
Original post by saahil0987
I said DNA was a longer molecule than RNA?

I'm not sure on that one, It could potentially be a part of the mark scheme due to this being the first paper and the students don't know how lenient the exam board is (leniency is determined using old past papers and mark schemes).

-Anis
Original post by Epitype
They used to be a part of the older specification for A2, but now, they have been moved down to AS. Therefore, this means that AS Students and A2 students of the new specification will need to know this.

-Anis

Doesn't change the fact that my teacher gave my class the wrong info.
Original post by chelseaoscar15
So what did you put down? Sign test?

Nah, I left it blank cause sign test is the only test I know but I knew 100% its not right aha
Reply 465

Can anyone who can get hold of the new as biology paper please and forward it to me so i can see the way how the questions are being asked in this new spec as i am having a mock which will determine my predicted grade for uni. Many thanks

Original post by saulgreen
The student suggested using 100 nmol dm-3 in human trials, but that gives the patients a 7% chance of cancer continuing to divide successfully whereas at 1000 nmol dm-3 none of the cancer cells can divide successfully by mitosis. I also put that it was no point using a solution with a high concentration than 1000 mol dm-3 as it would be a waste of money/resources to manufacture and distribute when a lower concentration has the exact same effect

Also quickly on the q about hydrolysis is it just it uses water and breaks a bond???
Original post by Luchamb
Also quickly on the q about hydrolysis is it just it uses water and breaks a bond???

Think so, I put the addition of water breaks the peptide bonds between amino acids to break one large protein into smaller ones
Original post by Whatevenemily
What ****ed me over in the specimen papers we've had for the new specification was how strict the mark scheme was! I literally know the majority of the content but I just don't write answers in the way they want me to 😡 It's so annoying. I've basically just accepted that I'm getting a U in these exams no matter what the paper or the grade boundaries are🙄

No way!!!! That is exactly how I felt, but it wasnt as bad as i expecteed it to be! theres still hope we can do this!!:biggrin:
Original post by Epitype
Unfortuately, you wouldn't get any marks for it.
What you could've written was;
- DNA is double Stranded
- DNA has Deoxyribose
- DNA has Thymine, instead of Uracil
(accept converse)

This is the answers i put left it to the end so rushed it made a fewe erros.
Mrna has different bases it has Adenine uracil Cytosine and guanine
Mrna is clover shape (i know this is trna but rushed it ) and dna is a double helix and coiled
Mrna has introns dna doesnt (even though its other way round)
Original post by Azadi

Can anyone who can get hold of the new as biology paper please and forward it to me so i can see the way how the questions are being asked in this new spec as i am having a mock which will determine my predicted grade for uni. Many thanks

dont think wed b able to get that only teachers would probably hav access to is
Original post by ljgbjnhnoilk
No way!!!! That is exactly how I felt, but it wasnt as bad as i expecteed it to be! theres still hope we can do this!!:biggrin:

also my teachers been saying wen marking the real thing theyll discuss answers more so will except more than what was in the specimen
Original post by lilyjacks
How many marks was the statistical test worth?

Just one (for the name and explanation )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamiechristie
4 marks for the graph, 4 for the table? I think.

3 marks in total only 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃. THREE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought the exam was fairly nice until I heard lots of answers I didn't even think of lol, yay me!
I'm guessing enzymes won't appear in the 2nd paper, but I guess you can't predict with AQA.
Original post by JezDayy
I thought the exam was fairly nice until I heard lots of answers I didn't even think of lol, yay me!
I'm guessing enzymes won't appear in the 2nd paper, but I guess you can't predict with AQA.

Same here :/ walked out of the first one thinking it was ok, hard but ok and then i hear everyone discussing answers i didn't put :s-smilie:
and hopefully because that may as well have been an enzyme paper :redface:
Good luck for the next one bud :hugs: x
Original post by Salamandastron
Same here :/ walked out of the first one thinking it was ok, hard but ok and then i hear everyone discussing answers i didn't put :s-smilie:
and hopefully because that may as well have been an enzyme paper :redface:
Good luck for the next one bud :hugs: x

Haha I felt so safe and confident after but it fell apart when people started talking about the graph question haha
yeah trust AQA to somehow incorporate enzymes into literally every question lol
Thank you! good luck to you too man
Where will the marks lie for the graph? Will you get 2/3 for the calculations and a mark for the graph or 1/3 for the calculations and 2/3 for the graph?
anyone got the paper with mark scheme, can you please attach me the paper please.
What was the Serial dilution. Q?
And why did the two enzymes fit one substrate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending