The Student Room Group

M1

A particle P of weight W newtons is attached to one end of a light inextensible string. The other end of the string is attached to a fixed point O. A horizontal force of magnitude 5N is applied to P. The particle P is in equilibrium with the string taut and with OP making an angle of 25° to the downward vertical.

Edit: Find the tension in the string
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Steelmeat
A particle P of weight W newtons is attached to one end of a light inextensible string. The other end of the string is attached to a fixed point O. A horizontal force of magnitude 5N is applied to P. The particle P is in equilibrium with the string taut and with OP making an angle of 25° to the downward vertical.

Edit: Find the tension in the string

Well, what have you tried?
Have tried drawing a diagram?
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
Well, what have you tried?

so far from P i've drawn a little line with an arrow which has Mg on the end of it

Original post by ravioliyears
Have tried drawing a diagram?

Actually the diagram's on the piece of paper i have but i just couldn't be bothered to take a picture and post it on here...
Reply 4
so far from P i've drawn a little line with an arrow which has Mg on the end of it

Actually the diagram's on the piece of paper i have but i just couldn't be bothered to take a picture and post it on here...

I hope the Mg arrow is vertically downwards. Anyhow, resolve horizontally.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
I hope the Mg arrow is vertically downwards. Anyhow, resolve vertically and horizontally.

yup i forgot to mention.

oh ok

Edit: I just seem to be getting this and this for horizontal and vertical

(<----) 5N
Vertically: Mg
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
yup i forgot to mention.

oh ok

Edit: I just seem to be getting this and this for horizontal and vertical

(<----) 5N
Vertically: Mg

There are components of tension acting both horizonttally and vertically.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
There are components of tension acting both horizonttally and vertically.

I can't seem to see it in the diagram :/
Reply 8

Upload your diagram.

Tension is an arrow pointing along the string from P to O. It acts at an angle to the downward vertical. Resolve.

Unsure what downward vertical meant but my attempt - image.jpg
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
Upload your diagram.

Tension is an arrow pointing along the string from P to O. It acts at an angle to the downward vertical. Resolve.

Original post by Middriver
Unsure what downward vertical meant but my attempt - image.jpg

ahhhh i see i just didn't label the tension in the string as a letter oops thanks a lot :smile:
ahhhh i see i just didn't label the tension in the string as a letter oops thanks a lot :smile:

No worries, is that what downward vertical meant btw?
Reply 12

yes vertically down is another way of putting it
Resolve all the forces in two planes, you will always get a simultaneous or just a simple eq e.g tcos40=5gcos50
Reply 14

From O, draw a line passing through O, vertically downwards. The angle the string makes with this line is the angle with the downward vertical.
Original post by Zacken
From O, draw a line passing through O, vertically downwards. The angle the string makes with this line is the angle with the downward vertical.

Thanks
Reply 16

Thanks

No problem.

Quick Reply

Latest