The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesthehustler
i'd agree to an extent but you get some exception millionaires who take the bus whilst others live at home but work to buy an expensive car the will lose value rather than gain it unlike property
i mean that was said when car insurance and motoring costs were a lot less than they are today

and well i am 21 and getting a car as i need it for work to make more money to spend on my business, my investments and my collections
just out of interest
what's your investment scope?
as i am a tangible assets guy you know loose diamonds, physical bullion, rare wine and international property

I don't take big risks, my leaning is towards slow and steady growth. E.g. Index tracker fund. I don't count inherited properties, yet.

I have side ventures that when added together bring in the equivalent of the average UK salary.

In general I am not lured by the materialistic things, I just like earning money because it gives me a thrill. Also because it gives me a sense of freedom.

At heart I am pretty traditional, i hate excessive displays of wealth and find it pretty vulgar how people can try to look rich.

I have young people people on my facebook who moan about inequality but have 2-3-4 holidays a year. My parents were too busy working themselves to the ground when i was younger to have more than one holiday a year...
my cousin caught the bus until he was 36. He just turned a millionaire this year lol.
Reply 22
Original post by The Socktor
As I recall that quote was actually wrongly attributed (I just forgot the word for that :colondollar:) to her. But anyway, no, not everybody can afford a car and some people actually care about the environment or not having their town's/city's roads unnecessarily congested... or just enjoy meeting new people on the bus or being able too look out the window and stuff.

Apocryphal?
Original post by James.Carnell
I don't take big risks, my leaning is towards slow and steady growth. E.g. Index tracker fund. I don't count inherited properties, yet.

I have side ventures that when added together bring in the equivalent of the average UK salary.

In general I am not lured by the materialistic things, I just like earning money because it gives me a thrill. Also because it gives me a sense of freedom.

At heart I am pretty traditional, i hate excessive displays of wealth and find it pretty vulgar how people can try to look rich.

I have young people people on my facebook who moan about inequality but have 2-3-4 holidays a year. My parents were too busy working themselves to the ground when i was younger to have more than one holiday a year...

i don't consider them too risky say property always stick to popular safe areas or tenanted properties and you'll have cash coming back in rapidly i'd guess you mean the wine i know a guy with the storage facilities so i just use those i have a quarter case of petrus, 2 bottles of rothschild and a bottle of chateau yquem
as for materialism...you would hate me i want 15 high end watches, close to a kilo of gold and platinum jewellery, 16 vehicles and 2 personal properties

i think i had one holiday a year most years
occasionally two normally as a cheap deal package, a sun holiday or visiting family
two years i had three but that was down to my dad's investment bond terminating with a £5000 payout one year and my mum business failing with a £7,000 insurance payout
Original post by 0to100
I know people with cars who are failures.
Like those who have them but can't afford but cling onto it so people like you won't judge em.
I think that's a massive failure tbh.
I know a lad with two cars, an audi sedan and a jeep, and he never has food in his cupboards. And he flat shares with an older woman.

For the first year of driving the insurance is ****ing expensive, and a lot of people end up spending most of their living on it to get that first year over with. Other than that though, does make me laugh when people are financing cars they don't need and making themselves broke just so they can drive around in a new Audi or BMW. Yeah, my car's on lease and I spend a couple hundred a month on it plus petrol, but it's not breaking my bank, I still have plenty to live on. If it came down to a choice where I HAD to pick between having to scrimp and scrape just to live cause I keep a car running, or living a bit more comfortably with no car, I'd choose the latter.
Is this true in your view? That is a Margaret Thatcher quote by the way from 1986.

I have never owned a car, I am 25. I don't own a car because I find public transport is fine and I am saving up all of my money for my business and investments.

And yet people look back to the time she was in office as the glory days of social mobility just because she didn't go to Eton. She was more of an elitist than the average Bullingdon Club member, a truly awful human being without a shred of empathy or understanding of the life of the ordinary people whose lives she ruined. She is the British equivalent of Pol Pot and should be remembered as such.
Original post by WoodyMKC
For the first year of driving the insurance is ****ing expensive, and a lot of people end up spending most of their living on it to get that first year over with. Other than that though, does make me laugh when people are financing cars they don't need and making themselves broke just so they can drive around in a new Audi or BMW. Yeah, my car's on lease and I spend a couple hundred a month on it plus petrol, but it's not breaking my bank, I still have plenty to live on. If it came down to a choice where I HAD to pick between having to scrimp and scrape just to live cause I keep a car running, or living a bit more comfortably with no car, I'd choose the latter.

Yep! i avoid those women like a plague but the guys don't tend to be very well off. It's the only way they can attract women, quite sad.
Reply 27
You must at least get black taxis everywhere. Just get on your bike and earn even more money to fund your investments.
Just uber it to places y'all.
Original post by Bill_Gates
my cousin caught the bus until he was 36. He just turned a millionaire this year lol.

Patience is key
Original post by queen-bee
Just uber it to places y'all.

But I've heard bad things, I might get raped :frown:
Original post by WoodyMKC
But I've heard bad things, I might get raped :frown:

Unlikely. I don't drive anymore because of poor health so I just uber it everywhere,I feel safe
Is this true in your view? That is a Margaret Thatcher quote by the way from 1986.

I have never owned a car, I am 25. I don't own a car because I find public transport is fine and I am saving up all of my money for my business and investments.

No - it's not true. Margaret Thatcher isn't credible in any sense of the word. She was a nasty, bigoted woman.
Thatcher was a failure.

As a man who has so far either cycled or relied on public transport for the entirety of his adult life and, at 29, now owns an apartment within three minutes' walk of a theatre, a pub, a coffee-shop, a 24-hour supermarket, an upscale Indian restaurant and a picturesque public park—all despite drawing what is, in truth, a fairly mediocre salary—I'd have to take issue with Ms Thatcher's priorities.
What about the trainm I prefer the peasant tube over the peasant wagon

Also if I go from the north to the south,I'd pay to park on someone's driveway in London, and then get the tube. It's easier and cheaper. If you're in London driving seems so pointless
Well that's laughable. There are tons of reasons why a man might use a bus rather than a car.
Reply 37
Thatcher was a failure in humanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Thatcher was a failure in humanity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't speak ill of the dead :mad:
Reply 39
Original post by queen-bee
Don't speak ill of the dead :mad:

Too soon? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile