The Student Room Group

Do you guys have any advice on how to study for the English Language GCSE?

Other than doing past papers, how do you revise for the English Language GCSE?

Cheers!
We are always being told to learn the method so I would recommend that as well 😊 x
Reply 2
Question 1: What do you learn from.....?

1. Read through the text
2. Annotate what can be inferred from the text (read between the lines), for example:
"The room was overflowing"
This quote uses a METAPHOR to suggest that there were lots of people- that is what can be inferred from the text.
So as you read through the text annotate things like this (don't have to be metaphors)- writing down the device and what can be inferred (I.e what can be learnt)
3. Keep annotating until you've found everything you can, then link ideas together- for example if you've found multiple uses throughout the text of statistics that show something- link those together and group then into the point 'statistics'
Do this for all the different devices found.
However if you'd like you could do the reverse of this, so if there are multiple different places where the same idea can be inferred- group those together in a point.
So you'll end up having either groups of devices or groups of 'things you've learnt' I think to stay on the safer side you should do the latter and group the annotations based on what can be inferred from them, even in different devices are used to convey them.
4. PRACTISE!!
Before you begin annotating find at least five texts (from past papers or online- I'll find these for you if you'd like)
Before you write or anything like that, just annotate all of the five texts and don't time yourself just yet, just go through the first slowly and calmly.
When you annotate the second text, don't time limit yourself either.
But when you annotate the third, time yourself by minusing five or ten minutes from how long it took you to do the previous one.
Same with the fourth.
On the fith- do it in 5/10 minutes and no more.
If you want to get really confident do six texts and time yourself on the sixth like you did on the fifth.
5. Planning and writing:
Personally I think it's so important to plan and to practise how to plan.
As with the annotations, don't time yourself initially.
Choose one of the texts you've already annotated, and make a plan.
You will already have your groups of points that you made when annotating, those will be your points when writing, I'm sure you know how to structure the writing and all that so I won't go into it, but if you'd like help with that I'm happy to go into it further :smile:
Write your answer, remember to use peel, and do this until you're happy with what you've written, remember for the first one don't give yourself a time limit! You want to practise being able to write about the texts without the time pressure, at first.
For the next one minus five or ten minutes from however long it took you to write the first, and write the second in that amount of time.
For the third piece of writing do the same as the first, no time limit.
Then for the fourth and fifth write them in the amount of time you'd have in the exam (I can't remember exactly what this is- hopefully you can, but if not I'll find out for you)
But remember in the exam you won't have annotated the texts already, so after all of this do a past paper in the time you'd have in the exam so you can practise annotating then writing in the time allocated to you.

I hope this helped for the first question! It's a similar idea for the others unti 5 and 6, and I'm happy to go into more detail about writing and planning, and/or make more of these for other questions if that would help :smile:

But omg I just realised that this is tailored to Aqa, so I hope that the board you're doing! Haha

Anyway good luck!!

:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Wimsett
Question 1: What do you learn from.....?

1. Read through the text
2. Annotate what can be inferred from the text (read between the lines), for example:
"The room was overflowing"
This quote uses a METAPHOR to suggest that there were lots of people- that is what can be inferred from the text.
So as you read through the text annotate things like this (don't have to be metaphors)- writing down the device and what can be inferred (I.e what can be learnt)
3. Keep annotating until you've found everything you can, then link ideas together- for example if you've found multiple uses throughout the text of statistics that show something- link those together and group then into the point 'statistics'
Do this for all the different devices found.
However if you'd like you could do the reverse of this, so if there are multiple different places where the same idea can be inferred- group those together in a point.
So you'll end up having either groups of devices or groups of 'things you've learnt' I think to stay on the safer side you should do the latter and group the annotations based on what can be inferred from them, even in different devices are used to convey them.
4. PRACTISE!!
Before you begin annotating find at least five texts (from past papers or online- I'll find these for you if you'd like)
Before you write or anything like that, just annotate all of the five texts and don't time yourself just yet, just go through the first slowly and calmly.
When you annotate the second text, don't time limit yourself either.
But when you annotate the third, time yourself by minusing five or ten minutes from how long it took you to do the previous one.
Same with the fourth.
On the fith- do it in 5/10 minutes and no more.
If you want to get really confident do six texts and time yourself on the sixth like you did on the fifth.
5. Planning and writing:
Personally I think it's so important to plan and to practise how to plan.
As with the annotations, don't time yourself initially.
Choose one of the texts you've already annotated, and make a plan.
You will already have your groups of points that you made when annotating, those will be your points when writing, I'm sure you know how to structure the writing and all that so I won't go into it, but if you'd like help with that I'm happy to go into it further :smile:
Write your answer, remember to use peel, and do this until you're happy with what you've written, remember for the first one don't give yourself a time limit! You want to practise being able to write about the texts without the time pressure, at first.
For the next one minus five or ten minutes from however long it took you to write the first, and write the second in that amount of time.
For the third piece of writing do the same as the first, no time limit.
Then for the fourth and fifth write them in the amount of time you'd have in the exam (I can't remember exactly what this is- hopefully you can, but if not I'll find out for you)
But remember in the exam you won't have annotated the texts already, so after all of this do a past paper in the time you'd have in the exam so you can practise annotating then writing in the time allocated to you.

I hope this helped for the first question! It's a similar idea for the others unti 5 and 6, and I'm happy to go into more detail about writing and planning, and/or make more of these for other questions if that would help :smile:

But omg I just realised that this is tailored to Aqa, so I hope that the board you're doing! Haha

Anyway good luck!!

:smile:

Wow, thank you very much! I am doing WJEC but this is really relevant, I guess should improve on Section B as that is probably my biggest downfall aha!
Thanks again! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Welshstig
Wow, thank you very much! I am doing WJEC but this is really relevant, I guess should improve on Section B as that is probably my biggest downfall aha!
Thanks again! :biggrin:

Oh I see, well as long as it was still relevant then that's great and it's no problem, I'm glad I could help :smile:
Feel free to ask me if there's anything else you're having trouble with and good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
read books, practice writing
^the two above ideas will help you expand your vocabulary and develop a new unique writing style. i highly recommend!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Wimsett
Oh I see, well as long as it was still relevant then that's great and it's no problem, I'm glad I could help :smile:
Feel free to ask me if there's anything else you're having trouble with and good luck! :smile:

In my WJEC exam we have to write a story under some sort of title or what not, do you have any advice on the most effective way of planning (writing section)? Also, do you think it is worth revising a short-story which I can create and adapt to one of the titles provided or is it better to think it up on the spot?
In my WJEC exam we have to write a story under some sort of title or what not, do you have any advice on the most effective way of planning (writing section)? Also, do you think it is worth revising a short-story which I can create and adapt to one of the titles provided or is it better to think it up on the spot?

Watch a film the night before. Write the plot in the exam.
That's what I did :biggrin:
Reply 8
read examiner notes and see what they like to see in peoples writing, try to adapt your writing to match what theyre looking for and youll get the marks u want, that and looking through past papers and practicing creative writing and reading books are really the only ways which will help tbh
I don't really plan on doing anything tbh :redface: I'm just relying on the fact that the grade boundaries are usually really low :biggrin:
Reply 10
That's true, I definitely need to work on my writing style lol
One of the questions we were allowed to answer was "Write a story that ends in '...from then on I knew everything was going to be okay.'" I used the Jake Gyllenhaal film Nightcrawler for the basis. Got an A. :cool:
Reply 12

Reading! Reading will really help here, fiction or non fiction texts of any kind whenever you can.
Also, for Aqa at least, they always ask about experiences- travel and such, I'm not sure if that's the case with WJEC but have a look through some past papers and see if there's a common theme in what they're asking you. Then come up with some ideas an practise writing about them.
Before my language mock last year I wrote an opening paragraph describing a vacation id been on with friends the year before, I thought that was quite general, and then I used that in the exam as it related to the question (and it really helped). However you can't be certain about things like that so its best to just have a think of things they might ask you and then come up with some ideas based around that. I suggest reading travel texts, memoirs, diary entries or descriptive accounts of events.
There is less you can do for this type of thing in terms of preparation, other than simply writing, than for the reading questions.
But as long as you regularly practise writing, read a lot, and familiarise yourself with past papers and how you'll need to answer/structure the writing, you'll be absolutely fine! :smile:
Reply 13

Since you said that you have to write a story, and I'm assuming that would be fiction, maybe read fiction texts instead of the non fiction I was suggesting (I was thinking along the lines of Aqa) but I'm not sure it would be a great idea to memorise a short story, unless this wouldn't be time consuming for you) because you can't be sure what will come up and it's better to spend your time preparing generally :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending