The Student Room Group

Teacher said she will not write a reference

This past Thursday, my physics teacher got really angry due to me and another friend not being in class when we should have been. She said that she would be late to class and will enter at 8 am (Class starts at 7.45). She asked us to be in class at 7.45 and have given us work to do. Me and a friend were not in class at 7.45 as we were doing our work in the common area and decided to go to class right before 8. Around 7.54, she texted me asking where were we and i replied that we were doing our work in the common area and are going to class now. She said that we were supposed to be in class and that we do not need to come to class already for that day. Basically, she has taken that we have escaped class.

After the class was over, i went to see her and talked to her about it. She was really angry and said that me and my friend will have to sit at one side of the class as she does not want to see us anymore. The rest of the class will sit on the other side and she will only focus on them. She said that we have no respect for her and the class. It was only a one time thing and it was not like we were escaping her class (There are different ways to look at it). We just thought that she was really stressed out as she was part of the exam section and they was a lot of things going on and that she would be better on Saturday.

So Saturday, we went to class and she asked us to sit at one side as she had said already. The class went on as normal but just with her not paying attention to us. After she was done with the work she had planned for the day. She showed a 3 page pdf file about me and my friend on the projector. It was about us being late to class from time to time and having no respect for her and the class and much more. There were also new rules we had to follow now that we were cast aside in the class such as not being allowed to speak to anyone when we are still in the lab. She then said that we will not write our university references for us two and if we insist on her writing, she will just mention our academic capability in the subject (physics) and then mention about how our character is (Late, 'escaping class', no respect for her and the class). As a matter of fact, she is the teacher i feel that i relate the most to and respect.

As my goal is to study engineering or physics at university, a good reference in physics is definitely needed as i want to apply to the top universities especially Imperial College London. If i do say so myself, i am quite a capable student and being cast aside in class will not affect my academic performance much. Even she herself said that I could achieve a credit easily and its just a matter if how high i want to push my grade up. How would i try to convince her to write the reference for me?

TLDR; Teacher got angry due to us not being in class at the time she wanted us to. She now says that she will not be writing our university reference. How would i try to convince her to write the reference for me?

Scroll to see replies

Were you late for class once, or were you late multiple times?

If I were you, I would go and report her.
Reply 2
Original post by mghanduri
Were you late for class once, or were you late multiple times?

If I were you, I would go and report her.

Late to class is normally just one minute late and from my perspective, not very often and surely not as often as my friend is. The 'escaping' thing was only one time. Idk about reporting her tho, she has said if we are not happy about the way the class is now, we have the option to change our physics class and she will gladly go with us to the academic deputy principal to get approval.
I thought this was going to be some school abroad. Saurday school @ 8:45 am?

You have two options:

1. Behave and comply, so go to lessons as you should and not when you feel you should. You were in the wrong. Of you show enough contrition then she will probably write one for you later.

2. Make a complaint to the head of department or the headmaster, detailing what has happened. This will mean going up against your teacher, but you have a good case for her reaction being unprofessional, disproportionate and discriminatory. You would probably win your case, but you would make an enemy of her. You would get a reference though or another physics teacher would write it.
Imho, 1 minute late can be perceived as extremely rude to some people.

But to harass you in front of your class then threaten that she'll give a bad review probably will give her the sack. Just list all of her offensive incidents, then compare them with the incidents of you 'escaping' from class.
Reply 5
She may well be just trying to impress on your that she expects better of you in terms of respect and timekeeping.

When does it need to be done by?

Try making time to speak to her in your own time and apologising, telling her that you didn't mean to show her any disrespect and that you really do hold her in respect. Don't ask her at that same time about writing a reference! Give it some time and she may change her mind, as long as you donmt push her.
Original post by lyamlim97

TLDR; Teacher got angry due to us not being in class at the time she wanted us to. She now says that she will not be writing our university reference. How would i try to convince her to write the reference for me?

She's chatting ******** with the intention of bringing you to heel. Some of the detail here - 7:45 starts, Saturday classes, Imperial College London - reveals you as a student at a private school in East Asia (Singapore? Hong Kong?) and pretty well all that they are concerned about is leaver destinations for the prospectus. She is only courting a showdown with the principal if she tries to follow through on her threat. Just do as she asks for a bit and it'll blow over.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
I thought this was going to be some school abroad. Saurday school @ 8:45 am?

You have two options:

1. Behave and comply, so go to lessons as you should and not when you feel you should. You were in the wrong. Of you show enough contrition then she will probably write one for you later.

2. Make a complaint to the head of department or the headmaster, detailing what has happened. This will mean going up against your teacher, but you have a good case for her reaction being unprofessional, disproportionate and discriminatory. You would probably win your case, but you would make an enemy of her. You would get a reference though or another physics teacher would write it.

Yeah, school days from where im from is mon to thurs and sat. School starts at 7.45.

I know i was in the wrong and already spoke with her that it was our fault. One mistake i made when she asked whether it will happen again or not is that i said "i guess" so it seems to her that it will happen again.

The head of department is quite a close friend of hers so there might a bit of bias there. She did say that we could get a reference not from her but from another physics teacher but how well would the other teacher know me and be able express me.
Reply 8
Original post by mghanduri
Imho, 1 minute late can be perceived as extremely rude to some people.

But to harass you in front of your class then threaten that she'll give a bad review probably will give her the sack. Just list all of her offensive incidents, then compare them with the incidents of you 'escaping' from class.

I understand that. She is usually fine with people being late as long as we apologize, have a proper reason and not be too late. At the beginning of last year when school first started, she had said that whoever she catches escaping class will not be allowed to enter her class anymore. The current situation is her giving us more than what we deserve in the sense that we are still allowed to be in her class.
Are you year 12? You could always talk to a teacher you trust and get them to act as intermediary. It will involve you apologising properly. She is behaving unprofessionally imo, even though you are in the wrong. If it carries on then I would transfer groups. Yor alternative is to take the punishment as long as she wants to mete it out. I wouldnt, but its your choice.
Reply 10
Original post by cambio wechsel
She's chatting ******** with the intention of bringing you to heel. Some of the detail here - 7:45 starts, Saturday classes, Imperial College London - reveals you as a student at a private school in East Asia (Singapore? Hong Kong?) and pretty well all that they are concerned about is leaver destinations for the prospectus. She is only courting a showdown with the principal if she tries to follow through on her threat. Just do as she asks for a bit and it'll blow over.

Saturday is a school day for us. We do not have school on friday. Im from brunei (if anyone knows where that is).
This past Thursday, my physics teacher got really angry due to me and another friend not being in class when we should have been. She said that she would be late to class and will enter at 8 am (Class starts at 7.45). She asked us to be in class at 7.45 and have given us work to do. Me and a friend were not in class at 7.45 as we were doing our work in the common area and decided to go to class right before 8. Around 7.54, she texted me asking where were we and i replied that we were doing our work in the common area and are going to class now. She said that we were supposed to be in class and that we do not need to come to class already for that day. Basically, she has taken that we have escaped class.

After the class was over, i went to see her and talked to her about it. She was really angry and said that me and my friend will have to sit at one side of the class as she does not want to see us anymore. The rest of the class will sit on the other side and she will only focus on them. She said that we have no respect for her and the class. It was only a one time thing and it was not like we were escaping her class (There are different ways to look at it). We just thought that she was really stressed out as she was part of the exam section and they was a lot of things going on and that she would be better on Saturday.

So Saturday, we went to class and she asked us to sit at one side as she had said already. The class went on as normal but just with her not paying attention to us. After she was done with the work she had planned for the day. She showed a 3 page pdf file about me and my friend on the projector. It was about us being late to class from time to time and having no respect for her and the class and much more. There were also new rules we had to follow now that we were cast aside in the class such as not being allowed to speak to anyone when we are still in the lab. She then said that we will not write our university references for us two and if we insist on her writing, she will just mention our academic capability in the subject (physics) and then mention about how our character is (Late, 'escaping class', no respect for her and the class). As a matter of fact, she is the teacher i feel that i relate the most to and respect.

As my goal is to study engineering or physics at university, a good reference in physics is definitely needed as i want to apply to the top universities especially Imperial College London. If i do say so myself, i am quite a capable student and being cast aside in class will not affect my academic performance much. Even she herself said that I could achieve a credit easily and its just a matter if how high i want to push my grade up. How would i try to convince her to write the reference for me?

Right so yer shoulda been in class and listened. Leaving things to the last minute isn't always the best thing. Doing work elsewhere doesn't excuse you from doing work in the right place.

Bit extreme though....

Where has this assumption come from????

Shaming isn't something teachers should do?

Then i not sure what else you can do, she either refuses to write you a reference or writes you a **** one. TBH i'd rather not have one from her. Also i'm sure that references go though like head of years or something, so that only good stuff gets put on? Unfortunate she doesn't realise you respect her though :/ It was a one off though right? so why's she being such a silly fool about it?

She's clearly overreacting and needs something sorting out up there in her noggin. But in all honesty you should've been there but still even if it is a one off they should give you the benefit of the doubt.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Are you year 12? You could always talk to a teacher you trust and get them to act as intermediary. It will involve you apologising properly. She is behaving unprofessionally imo, even though you are in the wrong. If it carries on then I would transfer groups. Yor alternative is to take the punishment as long as she wants to mete it out. I wouldnt, but its your choice.

Second year of sixth form. Year 13 i guess? Yeah i know about her behavior as we had a similar incident with her getting really angry at the whole class but that was due to a different cause and it was settled quite quickly due to some of the girls crying which i guess made her soften up.
she sounds very unprofessional and over the top, she should not be showing a three page report to the class about you being late or telling the class to ignore you and ignoring you herself. if that were me id get proof shes ignoring you like a child and telling the class to stay away from you and take it to the headmaster and ask to swap classes. I think that would be the best option if im honest as she sounds like shes not going to change her mind about trash talking you in your reference.
Second year of sixth form. Year 13 i guess? Yeah i know about her behavior as we had a similar incident with her getting really angry at the whole class but that was due to a different cause and it was settled quite quickly due to some of the girls crying which i guess made her soften up.

So you are sitting your A2's now? Your call really. Plus you were dopey in your reply about it happening again. If you want to be smart youd manage your teacher, be contrite and move on.
Reply 15
Original post by Steelmeat
Right so yer shoulda been in class and listened. Leaving things to the last minute isn't always the best thing. Doing work elsewhere doesn't excuse you from doing work in the right place.

Bit extreme though....

Where has this assumption come from????

Shaming isn't something teachers should do?

Then i not sure what else you can do, she either refuses to write you a reference or writes you a **** one. TBH i'd rather not have one from her. Also i'm sure that references go though like head of years or something, so that only good stuff gets put on? Unfortunate she doesn't realise you respect her though :/ It was a one off though right? so why's she being such a silly fool about it?

She's clearly overreacting and needs something sorting out up there in her noggin. But in all honesty you should've been there but still even if it is a one off they should give you the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, that was our fault. Idk about who the references go through. Maybe, she did say something about me being very good at acting in the pdf about us. The 'escape' was a one time thing but from what she is saying, it was us coming late to class from time to time and building it up and that the 'escape' thing made her lose it in that sense.
Actually, teachers never give honest references. At my school, my teachers constantly say that they always write a positive reference for every single student but make sure to write an even better reference for the top students. So, no, your teacher is just lying to try and make you come on time to lessons.
Reply 17
I just remembered a few more things from her 3 page report about us:

1) Me being a good actor (meaning that i have lied to her?)

2) I had a position as the president of the Peer Group Support last year (now passed on to the juniors) and she said that me having that position made me to feel like some kind of VIP and that i deserve special treatment from other people. She then continuously referred to me and my friend ( she is also part of the Peer Group Support) as male vip and female vip.

3) Calling me obnoxious which i do admit i am sometimes but i definitely do not show it in front of her.

4) Calling me selfish. So we had this tutoring thing going on where the top students will tutor the weaker students to help them. The top students will benefit by understanding n gaining confidence in the subject as we explain questions to the other students and the weaker students being able to seek help from others. Earlier on when i approached her on Thursday, she said that compared to student X ( another top student, I do not want to put names), I lack the ability to explain things clearly to other people and that this tutoring thing will help me gain the ability to explain better to others. I completely agree as i have noticed it myself. However on saturday in her 3 page report of us, she said that it was me being selfish and not willing to share my knowledge. She even went to the extent to say that i did not care about anyone else's results except for mine (This was particularly aimed at my friend as she blames me for 'influencing' her and the fact that she is not a strong student). Also due to the incident, she has cancelled the tutoring and blames it on the two of us as we do not respect her, what she does for us and the class.
Reply 18
Original post by PinkAcid
she sounds very unprofessional and over the top, she should not be showing a three page report to the class about you being late or telling the class to ignore you and ignoring you herself. if that were me id get proof shes ignoring you like a child and telling the class to stay away from you and take it to the headmaster and ask to swap classes. I think that would be the best option if im honest as she sounds like shes not going to change her mind about trash talking you in your reference.

Well i have to agree with her on some things like us being late the most often among all the students in the class, and im sure she has her reasons for being angry in her perspective but yeah, she is over the top with her temper. She did not specifically mention about ignoring us or asking the class to ignore us but she just cast us aside saying that the very sight of us makes her angry.
Original post by cambio wechsel

Thanks, the location explains her behaviour a lot, because I cant see it being tolerated here. he just needs to show contrition and get on with his studies. I dont see a complaint being of much benefit. Reactions such as hers indicate teaching insecurity to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending