The Student Room Group

Best laptop for uni

I'm going to be getting myself a new laptop for my birthday before I go to uni, which one would you recommend in general and for uni?
Original post by HarryPea122
I'm going to be getting myself a new laptop for my birthday before I go to uni, which one would you recommend in general and for uni?

Not sure what your budget is, but this one has been doing me wonders:
http://www.ebuyer.com/735152-asus-zenbook-ux303lb-ultrabook-ux303lb-r4114h
Reply 2

Cheap and cheerful Windows 10, i3, 4+ Gig Ram, 15 inch screen around £300 is what I would go for
Reply 3
My mum wants to get me a Macbook air, but i think £800 is alot for a laptop
Its just because i had some HP thing that was cheap and it literally never loaded, sounded like it was gonna blow up and got viruses even when i put antivirus stuff on
Reply 4
Wait you're turning down a Macbook?! They're amazing! Especially if you have an iPhone, as you can do all sorts of links between phone and laptop.
Reply 5

MacBook Air 11"
Reply 6
My mum wants to get me a Macbook air, but i think £800 is alot for a laptop
Its just because i had some HP thing that was cheap and it literally never loaded, sounded like it was gonna blow up and got viruses even when i put antivirus stuff on

Once you get 15% off with student discount it's not quite so bad... Still expensive, but I cannot fault my Mac Pro 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
If you're a windows guy, check out the surface pro 4
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ssshah2
If you're a windows guy, check out the surface pro 4

Its a great hybrid if that's what you're looking for
looneys above.

I dont think its worth overpaying on a laptop...better off buying one every few years if yeh wana spend dolla

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-windows10-i3-5005u-500gb-hd-4gb-ram-laptop-229-now-199-tesco-direct-2452286

http://www.ebuyer.com/725713-hp-255-g4-laptop-n0z75ea-abu
(edited 7 years ago)
Mate I was in a similar position a few years back where I was offered a macbook pro but i turned it down for a lenovo thinkpad (t440). I brought it a few years back and have found performance to still be the same as when i bought it. The type of specs you should be looking for is an i5, 8gb ram and and most importantly an SSD and if you a gamer discrete graphics. Also make sure it's light as you be carrying it around for most of the day, so any laptop under 1.8kg should be good. Though I have an t440 their are newer models such as the t450, t460 or even the X1 series which would be suitable.
Original post by thatapanydude
The type of specs you should be looking for is an i5, 8gb ram and and most importantly an SSD

All the above, and I'd add a 13" screen or below on top of that. You do not want to be hauling a 15" monster around campus

Original post by trustmeimlying1

I dont think its worth overpaying on a laptop...better off buying one every few years if yeh wana spend dolla

The rest of my family used to think this... Eventually, they end up using my laptop for work instead when they get frustrated with their 4th generation processors and slow HDD! I personally wouldn't consider a top range laptop at £750-900 a waste of money, unless you already own a desktop
Original post by Another
All the above, and I'd add a 13" screen or below on top of that. You do not want to be hauling a 15" monster around campus

The rest of my family used to think this... Eventually, they end up using my laptop for work instead when they get frustrated with their 4th generation processors and slow HDD! I personally wouldn't consider a top range laptop at £750-900 a waste of money, unless you already own a desktop
Disagree.

15" is grand, you're a poor crature if yeh cant carry that on your back. But yeh 13 or 15 is optimum size as in the links.

I bought my cheap enough laptop 3 years ago..never had an issue...I reckon for most students a well reviewed laptop with i3/i5 processor is plenty hence the links above.

Itd be better spent imo...the technology is changing fast and most dont use the laptop to its capabilities. Be better buying a new computer more frequently than paying big bucks and seeing the technology age.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Disagree.

15" is grand, you're a poor crature if yeh cant carry that on your back. But yeh 13 or 15 is optimum size as in the links.

I bought my cheap enough laptop 3 years ago..never had an issue...I reckon for most students a well reviewed laptop with i3/i5 processor is plenty hence the links above.

Itd be better spent imo...the technology is changing fast and most dont use the laptop to its capabilities. Be better buying a new computer more frequently than paying big bucks and seeing the technology age.

I disagree as I currently have a "top of the range" i7 and this probably still as fast and faster than most current i3 or i5 considering I bought my laptop 3 years ago, i feel spending more now will be better long term.
Original post by thatapanydude
I disagree as I currently have a "top of the range" i7 and this probably still as fast and faster than most current i3 or i5 considering I bought my laptop 3 years ago, i feel spending more now will be better long term.

ofc yeh buffon xD but how much did yeh pay for it? if yeh bought a i3/i5 3 years ago itd still be grand now too...

if yeh bought an i7 a few years ago yeh paid top dollar. it should last ages otherwise youre spending more

as time goes on the later processors become more affordable. i7s are becoming more norm now as more affordable.

so if yeh bought a i3 back then you could buy a i7 now for a total of around the same price yeh paid for your i7 back then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending