The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths higher boundaries A*-A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Faizanasif
Yeah! By the way, for the tin question, it was quite obvious calculating in your head that it won't fit at all! The units they chose was quite strange from Edexcel to be honest...

I know!

Normally, they're maybe 50p away, or they only have 210m instead of 212m perhaps...

But no! It all changed!
Original post by TeenPolyglot
I know!

Normally, they're maybe 50p away, or they only have 210m instead of 212m perhaps...

But no! It all changed!

In one of their past papers, I remember doing compound interest and I have to find out which one is better, and one was better by like 5p! And the ingredients questions that comes up every now and then were only like 15g less! Even in some of my other exams there are questions are are just so obvious and doesn't even require common sense! :biggrin:

And for the inverse proportion question, 4 marks were available just by division! This was a strange paper from edexcel, and the fact that people are over exaggerating by how hard it was is even more strange! :s-smilie:
In one of their past papers, I remember doing compound interest and I have to find out which one is better, and one was better by like 5p! And the ingredients questions that comes up every now and then were only like 15g less! Even in some of my other exams there are questions are are just so obvious and doesn't even require common sense! :biggrin:

And for the inverse proportion question, 4 marks were available just by division! This was a strange paper from edexcel, and the fact that people are over exaggerating by how hard it was is even more strange! :s-smilie:

When the system is cheated once, infinity will be the number of times it will attempt to be cheated again.

Lesson for life.
Reply 63
3 marks for giving an equation??? I was thinking I was doing something wrong
When the system is cheated once, infinity will be the number of times it will attempt to be cheated again.

Lesson for life.

Haha that's so true :biggrin:

Now Edexcel will never learn...
Original post by Rajive
3 marks for giving an equation??? I was thinking I was doing something wrong

Oh yeah that one ahaha!

I remember doing that when I was in year 5 :biggrin:

Lesson for life.

By the way, on the vectors question, there was a 2 mark question saying "What do you notice about the 3 points?" And they provided a line going through it as well, and it was a straight line :biggrin: It was a 2 marker, so just in case, I factorized it to prove it is a straight line as well as mentioning it is a straight line of course :wink:

This really was a funny paper... :tongue:
By the way, on the vectors question, there was a 2 mark question saying "What do you notice about the 3 points?" And they provided a line going through it as well, and it was a straight line :biggrin: It was a 2 marker, so just in case, I factorized it to prove it is a straight line as well as mentioning it is a straight line of course :wink:

This really was a funny paper... :tongue:

All throughout this thread people are talking about how a lot of these questions were easy or obvious...but yes, you need to show your working! If you just said "it's where they intersect" on the two marker, then RIP your marks. It's about the working, not the answer - they KNEW a lot of people would dodge the working, that's why they allocated the amount of marks they did.

Grade boundaries will be probably about 81% for an A* imho.
Original post by CloakedSpartan
All throughout this thread people are talking about how a lot of these questions were easy or obvious...but yes, you need to show your working! If you just said "it's where they intersect" on the two marker, then RIP your marks. It's about the working, not the answer - they KNEW a lot of people would dodge the working, that's why they allocated the amount of marks they did.

What edexcel have done though is that they've made it all in to sections, so if you answered the previous vector questions correctly , they have kind of proven that they do intersect, but there are strict markers who might give it wrong, so I did factorize implying that they do intersect. I think those who didn't factorize but have said they do intersect or it is a straight line, and they get the other questions correct then they'd get 1 mark out of 2.

By the way, I said it is a straight line. That should be ok, right? I didn't have in mind saying they intersect, but I did factorize at the bottom of my explanation, so they should give me the marks for that :wink:

By the way, what do you think you've got? I say I've got 90 if not more, but I'm taking in to account of those silly marks. However, I did finish with 45 minutes to spare, so I did thoroughly look at my answers multiple times :smile:
90...I got the answer in the last question but had a brain fart and didn't realise it was the answer so I gave up >.< And I made a few silly mistakes, for instance rotating wrongly and misreading a length on the area question...every other question was pretty much perfect though, so yeah, about 90. I definitely got an A* so I'm happy either way.
Shhhhhh...you mustn't say that! Being over confident isn't good! I haven't approached a single people who said that and they got an A*. The highest was an A, and most people who said that got a B. You shouldn't think 'The exam wasn't so bad after all', but please don't say easy :wink:

The reason i say that is because straight after my maths exam i had a maths lesson where my teacher got the exam we just did and went over the solutions starting from the back, then because we didnt have time to do the whole paper, he made a mark scheme and put it online, so looking at those answers, i think i got most of the answers right. Nearly all in fact, i THINK, which is why i feel so confident about it.
Reply 71
Original post by CloakedSpartan

What do you reckon for an A?
Original post by M4keen04
The reason i say that is because straight after my maths exam i had a maths lesson where my teacher got the exam we just did and went over the solutions starting from the back, then because we didnt have time to do the whole paper, he made a mark scheme and put it online, so looking at those answers, i think i got most of the answers right. Nearly all in fact, i THINK, which is why i feel so confident about it.

I don't like being over confident, because you never know who the examiner is, and how strict they mark it. In this case, it is maths so it is mostly 1 answer, but still, don't because you'll be so confident that you'll expect higher and higher as the time comes then you'll be disappointed with your result. Just think to your self that you've put in as much as you could possibly do, because people say its easy and that they got full marks in the unofficial mark scheme, and end up crying on results day, which I don't want that to happen to anyone.

Just work hard in the next maths exam as well, because that's also 50%, and being over confident will make you lose silly marks because you'll be thinking you're already set so you won't concentrate as much. That's why I haven't laid my eyes on that unofficial mark scheme, because it isn't always accurate and it diverts your revision in a bad way
Original post by Rajive
What do you reckon for an A?

Probably about 67%.
Yeah there were 2 ways in doing the estimations question. I rounded the number to the nearest 100, but can't remember what I got :redface:

So far, I have asked at least 50 people on what they got for the last question, and I haven't approached 2 people that had the same answers. As I did rationalize the denominator and use Pythagoras to work out the base of the triangle, I'm hopeful for getting 2 marks out of 3 at least!

You were meant to work out the area of the big traingle by doing base x height x 0.5, which is something like (root 2/2)x(root3/3)x 0.5 whichi s i think 0.25.

then work out area of smaller triangle same way, which is something liek root6/12 then do
are of big - area of small to get, i think (3-root12)/something
You were meant to work out the area of the big traingle by doing base x height x 0.5, which is something like (root 2/2)x(root3/3)x 0.5 whichi s i think 0.25.

then work out area of smaller triangle same way, which is something liek root6/12 then do
are of big - area of small to get, i think (3-root12)/something

Wasn't it the smaller one? Because the question already gave you the height and base for the bigger one - I'm pretty sure you had to do Pythagoras to work it out as it was a right angle, so that's 1 mark. I'm certain I got at least 1 mark out of 3, but its not like I know a lot of people who got that right. That's the only one I'm not certain of
I don't like being over confident, because you never know who the examiner is, and how strict they mark it. In this case, it is maths so it is mostly 1 answer, but still, don't because you'll be so confident that you'll expect higher and higher as the time comes then you'll be disappointed with your result. Just think to your self that you've put in as much as you could possibly do, because people say its easy and that they got full marks in the unofficial mark scheme, and end up crying on results day, which I don't want that to happen to anyone.

Just work hard in the next maths exam as well, because that's also 50%, and being over confident will make you lose silly marks because you'll be thinking you're already set so you won't concentrate as much. That's why I haven't laid my eyes on that unofficial mark scheme, because it isn't always accurate and it diverts your revision in a bad way

the actual reason i said that was to suggest that i thought boundaries wud be quite high for the paper
the actual reason i said that was to suggest that i thought boundaries wud be quite high for the paper

It'll be the midpoint of June 2015 and November 2015 most likely as it is less difficult than June 2015 but a bit more difficult than November 2015, so an A* would be around 81%
Wasn't it the smaller one? Because the question already gave you the height and base for the bigger one - I'm pretty sure you had to do Pythagoras to work it out as it was a right angle, so that's 1 mark. I'm certain I got at least 1 mark out of 3, but its not like I know a lot of people who got that right. That's the only one I'm not certain of

the question asks you to work out AREA. Remember, pythagoras is for length of a side. the info given already gives you all the lengths that you need,as you dont need the length of the hypotenuse side.
Basically i am aiming for an A / B.. Paper 1 i think i got around 57/65 marks and what do yall think id never for an B on paper 2 :smile: If the grade boundaries are like last year (low) ill be happy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending