The Student Room Group

Edexcel chemistry resit unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Earth1
This year paper is easier than last year. I would say around 68-70 out of 80 for an A
and 80 out of 80 for full ums

I agree that it was easier than last year but last year was only 62 for an A, the year before that was 66 and i would say the june 14 paper was the same difficulty level as this one :smile:
Original post by jaylo123
I agree that it was easier than last year but last year was only 62 for an A, the year before that was 66 and i would say the june 14 paper was the same difficulty level as this one :smile:

I would predict 67 for A tbh :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys I have a bit of a stupid question: Why are the grade boundaries for unit 1 chemistry January exams so low??
Reply 43
Guys is (o2)+ and (o3)+ wrong for the first question about mass spec?
Reply 44
also are people really sure the a boundary will be as high as 67? It seemed like an odd paper to me, there were a few things that I hadn't seen before that could trip people up - like the polarisation question, the one about bonds and some of the one markers.
Original post by Earth1
I put something like the mass of an atom of oxygen 16 is not exactly 16 g

I put because oxygen is a diatomic particle in the atmosphere but I didn't know aha
isnt the ions of oxygen 18

O18 +
and
O18 2+

the hess law cylce one should give a negative value
delta H1 - delta H2 = enthalpy change
Original post by sataw
also are people really sure the a boundary will be as high as 67? It seemed like an odd paper to me, there were a few things that I hadn't seen before that could trip people up - like the polarisation question, the one about bonds and some of the one markers.

I agree I thought it was weird - never seen a lot of those questions before. I don't think they'll be as high as people are predicting (or I hope haha)
Reply 48
Original post by beanigger

O18 +
and
O18 2+

it told you in the question that they had mass number 16 as they were isotopes.
Reply 49
Original post by Earth1
I put something like the mass of an atom of oxygen 16 is not exactly 16 g

i put the same then i put the mass or 1/12 of carbon 12 is exactly one just incase they wanted more.
Original post by natcupine
I agree I thought it was weird - never seen a lot of those questions before. I don't think they'll be as high as people are predicting (or I hope haha)

yep me too! Cant see how it will be that high there were lots of small weird questions im thinking (hoping) more between 64 and 67 not 67 and 70

O18 +
and
O18 2+

I did that too, think its wrong but hopefully if you drew the more charged ion getting deflected more we'll get ECF marks
Are edexcel going to fairly standardise the boundaries?? Every year the students retaking AS are helped by those who mess it up in the year below, lowering the boundaries.. this year there are no AS students! I'd say 65/80 is fair for an A?

The highest its been recently is 66 and i think a lot of people found this easy because it's the second time of asking. Thoughts?

I think you're also forgetting that the people who usually get As in the exam first time round didn't take that exam because they already did well first time round. So that leaves re-sit students who didn't do well first time round. Some of them might have not put much effort into the re-sit either.

I think the GBs will be moderately high as it was pretty straight forward, but I've heard some people suggest 70+ for an A which is absolute nonsense. It will be around 67 for an A imo.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did that too, think its wrong but hopefully if you drew the more charged ion getting deflected more we'll get ECF marks

well when u ionise something in mass spectra
you can get a +1 charge and +2 charge and more etc etc
i think this because in previous papers i saw a question talking about what would happen to m/e value if the charge on the ionised ion was +2? so i assume that can happen and should be the correct answer
well when u ionise something in mass spectra
you can get a +1 charge and +2 charge and more etc etc
i think this because in previous papers i saw a question talking about what would happen to m/e value if the charge on the ionised ion was +2? so i assume that can happen and should be the correct answer

The ions should've been 16O+ and 16O---160+.

Hess Cycle should've been +71kj.mol^-1
Original post by ASTK98
The ions should've been 16O+ and 16O---160+.

Hess Cycle should've been +71kj.mol^-1

the hess cycle is always negative value lol

i cant remember what i got but its always negative
No it isn't always negative lol. My teacher went through that question. It's +71.
Original post by sataw

Those questions always come up in every paper though. Apart from about 5-8 marks, there wasn't really anything we haven't seen before in past papers.

67 seems pretty fair, hope it's lower though haha
Reply 58
Where does deflection occur in a mass spec??? I put in the magnetic chamber as a guess??
Reply 59
Original post by Chemiii
I put D

I thought it was the one which said it cannot conduct in the solid state?

Quick Reply

Latest