The Student Room Group

Did anyone take AS CIE Chemistry exam today?

Scroll to see replies

FA 9 and FA10 both we nitrates as none of them released brown gas(NO2) with dilute HCL.

@helloheyyo
@olmomiau
@_dee [s]smile[/s]
What was the volume of CO2 in question 2?
I got 85cm3.
The supervisor got between 100-110
Would i be fine?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Insia786
FA 9 and FA10 both we nitrates as none of them released brown gas(NO2) with dilute HCL.

@helloheyyo
@olmomiau
@_dee [s]smile[/s]
What was the volume of CO2 in question 2?
I got 85cm3.
The supervisor got between 100-110
Would i be fine?

You'd be fine hopefully, ( i got 50.0 cm3)!
They always check ur working and the way you did it, and not the actual values (thats what our teacher always said!!!) btw did u manage to finish the paper?!)
Original post by helloheyyo
You'd be fine hopefully, ( i got 50.0 cm3)!
They always check ur working and the way you did it, and not the actual values (thats what our teacher always said!!!) btw did u manage to finish the paper?!)

Yes i did. Iv heard alot of students dint manage to finish it

What volume did your peers get? Around what range?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes i did. Iv heard alot of students dint manage to finish it

What volume did your peers get? Around what range?

50 to 80 cm3
hello beautiful people ...
i just wanted to ask who over here is going to give cie AS paper 1 9701(chemistry) anytime soon ??
cuz ligit im damn scared for paper 1 my paper 2 was messed up already and i dont want to loose marks in paper 1...
and also do the examiners give the grade based on the total marks in paper 1 ,2, and 3 or they give according to the letters like for example AAB would add up to be A ....?
hope u understand what im trying to ask:/
thank uuu :biggrin:
Original post by _dee:)
Took invariant 33..
Must say that it was harder than the past exams but doable,
What anion did you get from the QA?

Heyy!
In chemistry AS practical
If our titration volume doesnt match with the examiner how many marks are deducted at the max if all our moles calculations and everything is correct using the volume that the student found( this volume doesnt match the examiners)

Response would be appreciated :smile:

same here oh my god! kids were crying when they came out of the lab.. I didnt even have time to think about what my FA 5,6,7,8, 9 or 10 were! (i did v33 ) it was a mess!

for what? FA 9 or FA 10?
p.s- i didnt have time to think so I just wrote whatever anion came in my mind.. i know what a shame! but some smarty pants in my class got stuff like nitrite and nitrate ions.. what about you?

I'm quoting everyone because, whoever replies :-P

I did paper 33, and, for the test for -OH, like an IDIOT, I wrote the sodium metal test. I did think of potassium dichromate, which everyone wrote, but then I thought that it doesn't work with tertiary alcohols and then how would you identify tertiary alcohols.

And then I wrote the sodium test, because I'm obviously the brightest person around. Idiot.

Also, PLEASE, does anyone have tips for AS paper 1?? Please, chemistry, I just cannot manage. I never get above 25, and I'm pretty sure I messed up my other papers.
We cannot write potassium dichromate because this wont give the *confirm* test that alcohol is present. Potassium dichromate reacts with alkenes and aldehydes too.
I wrote PCL3 as this only reacts with all types of alcohol and gives white fumes of HCl giving a confirm test OH is present.

There was emphasis on confirm test in the question
We cannot write potassium dichromate because this wont give the *confirm* test that alcohol is present. Potassium dichromate reacts with alkenes and aldehydes too.
I wrote PCL3 as this only reacts with all types of alcohol and gives white fumes of HCl giving a confirm test OH is present.

There was emphasis on confirm test in the question

ohh, thanks!

Btw, what did you get for the anions?

I got both nitrates.
r u sure that we can write this test for 3 alcohol ? just making sure 😃
thank u fr answering
Original post by alyoan tariq
hello beautiful people ...
i just wanted to ask who over here is going to give cie AS paper 1 9701(chemistry) anytime soon ??
cuz ligit im damn scared for paper 1 my paper 2 was messed up already and i dont want to loose marks in paper 1...
and also do the examiners give the grade based on the total marks in paper 1 ,2, and 3 or they give according to the letters like for example AAB would add up to be A ....?
hope u understand what im trying to ask:/
thank uuu :biggrin:

I will be doing paper 11. And, for your overall mark you get your marks for the 3 components added to give a total mark out of 130, then the grade boundaries determine what grade you have achieved (the "A" grade boundary is usually about 90 out of 130)
woah really is that is preety low i was expecting it to be like 110 ......... or smthin ....oh thank u 😀😀😀😀😀
Original post by fandom-queen
ohh, thanks!

Btw, what did you get for the anions?

I got both nitrates.

hi ! was there any question about investigating by observing the volume of gas evolved in a reaction over time? something like that because its new in the syllabus and it was in the specimen paper 2016 for the first time
hi ! was there any question about investigating by observing the volume of gas evolved in a reaction over time? something like that because its new in the syllabus and it was in the specimen paper 2016 for the first time

There was! My whole class got a really high value for that. My teacher got 197, I got 202 and the like.

Did they make you practice the practical booklets? Our school gave us the 6 experiments to practice, as given by CIE, and one of them was gas volume.

It wasn't over time though, it was just waiting until the rxn stops and recording the maximum volume of gas
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by olmomiau
I will be doing paper 11. And, for your overall mark you get your marks for the 3 components added to give a total mark out of 130, then the grade boundaries determine what grade you have achieved (the "A" grade boundary is usually about 90 out of 130)

Hey
Did you guyz got any question involving measuring volume of gas and measuring the rate of reaction for paper 31??
There was! My whole class got a really high value for that. My teacher got 197, I got 202 and the like.

Did they make you practice the practical booklets? Our school gave us the 6 experiments to practice, as given by CIE, and one of them was gas volume.

It wasn't over time though, it was just waiting until the rxn stops and recording the maximum volume of gas

yea our school made us practice a lot *phew*but like practicing that experiment about the gas volume one i really didnt get it so i was hoping if they don't give us that ...but .....anyways can u like give me some tips on how to perform that gas thingy ...thanx!!!
yea our school made us practice a lot *phew*but like practicing that experiment about the gas volume one i really didnt get it so i was hoping if they don't give us that ...but .....anyways can u like give me some tips on how to perform that gas thingy ...thanx!!!

Ohh, simple, the part where you're supposed to invert the thing, to prevent air bubbles, always use a paper towel. Eventhough they mention it in the paper, a lot of people try using their hands. Preferably, take a handkerchief with you, because, tissue usually disintegrates underwater, so, taking out the whole tissue might be a struggle, because it'll rip apart.

That's it really, it's a very mechanical experiment and, just follow the instructions to the T and you'll be fine!

Also, I have MCQs coming up, and, do YOU have any tips for that?
Ohh, simple, the part where you're supposed to invert the thing, to prevent air bubbles, always use a paper towel. Eventhough they mention it in the paper, a lot of people try using their hands. Preferably, take a handkerchief with you, because, tissue usually disintegrates underwater, so, taking out the whole tissue might be a struggle, because it'll rip apart.

That's it really, it's a very mechanical experiment and, just follow the instructions to the T and you'll be fine!

Also, I have MCQs coming up, and, do YOU have any tips for that?

same here....i have MCQs comin up too so what i can say is that many students run out of time ...not able to finish it on time or like dont get the chance to attempt all the questions so like when ever ur practicing paper 1 ALWAYS time yourself ...and my teacher ussually says that leave the stiochiometery questions to the end because they take time ...or any question that takes time cuz in this paper all questions are obviously one mark so u need to score as much as possible by going with the questions first that are easy ...and one more thing i can say is that practice more past paper years from 1996 or the 1990s because they usually actually most of the time they give questions from there like they just copy paste it so u can go over them so that if that ever comes in the paper u dont have to even read the question hence circle the correct answer which gives u plenty of time for solving the new question in the paper
i guess that's it and obviously practice as much as u can ...
good luck :smile:
same here....i have MCQs comin up too so what i can say is that many students run out of time ...not able to finish it on time or like dont get the chance to attempt all the questions so like when ever ur practicing paper 1 ALWAYS time yourself ...and my teacher ussually says that leave the stiochiometery questions to the end because they take time ...or any question that takes time cuz in this paper all questions are obviously one mark so u need to score as much as possible by going with the questions first that are easy ...and one more thing i can say is that practice more past paper years from 1996 or the 1990s because they usually actually most of the time they give questions from there like they just copy paste it so u can go over them so that if that ever comes in the paper u dont have to even read the question hence circle the correct answer which gives u plenty of time for solving the new question in the paper
i guess that's it and obviously practice as much as u can ...
good luck :smile:

hey i wanted to know if they really give questions from the papers in the 90's. cause that would be awesome. in that case, could you give me the link to the site which has papers from that long ago? TIA!
Original post by SamihaTahsin
hey i wanted to know if they really give questions from the papers in the 90's. cause that would be awesome. in that case, could you give me the link to the site which has papers from that long ago? TIA!

Check out this site
https://library.sunway.edu.my/examdbase/alv/alevel.htm
Reply 99
Original post by SamihaTahsin
Hey guuys did u take the second variant exam (9701/22)? It was a little weird for me too, not bad but not as great as i thought it would be.

anyone up for matching any answers?

Yea i did 22 it was weird. Not good not bad. I was surprised at the structure change. But the questions on halogens was epic. I sortof messed up my organic

Quick Reply

Latest