The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Paper 2016 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rajive
Guys, for the estimating the solutions one, q9 I think, I completed the square and solved it: that should be acceptable right because I am right technically?

Probably. For the simultaneous equation I wrote both x and y solutions instead of just x solutions. How many marks would i lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakstar
Hi guys, I have managed to get 81 will I be in a chance to get an A*, people are saying I need to get 166, so another at least 85 marks. But what was the grade boundaries for 2015, it had apparently low grade boundaries like 158 according to last year pupils. Is that correct?

Sounds same as me. I got 6 questions wrong.

Two I didn't have time to answer at all (the teachers question and inverse proportion... so 7 marks gone there.)
I also dropped 2 marks on the graph question by giving x values for y= -4 instead of +4.

I screwed up the varnish question by getting the area wrong (didn't take 2m off the width of the room) and carried that mistake through, but did everything else OK from that point. Hoping I get 2 of the 5 marks there.
I misread the midpoint question and calculated the midpoint of M and P. I've marked myself as zero there but hoping (clutch, grasp) that by demostrating I can calculate the midpoint I may get 1 mark.
For the last surds question I boobed by working out with root 3 over 2 instead of root 3 over 3. That was with rushing with 5 mins left. So I got a complete wrong answer. But by getting the area of the large triangle correct I should get 1 mark out of the three.

For the vectors question I mentioned S was 3/4 way along both lines but I didn't actually say it was the point of intersection. I think 1 mark out of the 2?

Allowing another 3 or 4 marks dropped across the rest of the paper (where I got all correct answers) I reckon 81/100 too. I was really annoyed with myself for some of these errors which were just silly. Got to get 85+ now in calculator I think for an A* chance.
Original post by Darwinion
Sounds same as me. I got 6 questions wrong.

Two I didn't have time to answer at all (the teachers question and inverse proportion... so 7 marks gone there.)
I also dropped 2 marks on the graph question by giving x values for y= -4 instead of +4.

I screwed up the varnish question by getting the area wrong (didn't take 2m off the width of the room) and carried that mistake through, but did everything else OK from that point. Hoping I get 2 of the 5 marks there.
I misread the midpoint question and calculated the midpoint of M and P. I've marked myself as zero there but hoping (clutch, grasp) that by demostrating I can calculate the midpoint I may get 1 mark.
For the last surds question I boobed by working out with root 3 over 2 instead of root 3 over 3. That was with rushing with 5 mins left. So I got a complete wrong answer. But by getting the area of the large triangle correct I should get 1 mark out of the three.

For the vectors question I mentioned S was 3/4 way along both lines but I didn't actually say it was the point of intersection. I think 1 mark out of the 2?

Allowing another 3 or 4 marks dropped across the rest of the paper (where I got all correct answers) I reckon 81/100 too. I was really annoyed with myself for some of these errors which were just silly. Got to get 85+ now in calculator I think for an A* chance.

Well done anyway regardless, don't worry you sound quite good at maths. OMG all of the mistakes you have made, I promise you are the mistakes I have made, lmao!! Good luck anyway mate, for the sake of you and me we both have to perform effectively in the next paper, which no doubt me and you will do!! Best wishes!
Original post by Oasis61
Probably. For the simultaneous equation I wrote both x and y solutions instead of just x solutions. How many marks would i lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I also did the same thing mentioning both x and y, for both of our sake, my teachers believe I may get the full marks. If the examiners don't accept it, you would only lose 1 mark. So don't worry.
Really wanted an A* but now i have to get 90+ on the next one, which I don't think I can do.:colonhash:
Original post by llama_whisperer
Yeah I would think so :smile:

Thanks.
Original post by Rajive
Guys, for the estimating the solutions one, q9 I think, I completed the square and solved it: that should be acceptable right because I am right technically?

Hey Rajiv, you will get the marks but the questions did ask to estimate it graphically, but since it's an estimate answers will be a range including the exact value, so yeah that would work!
Original post by Rakstar
Hey Rajiv, you will get the marks but the questions did ask to estimate it graphically, but since it's an estimate answers will be a range including the exact value, so yeah that would work!

Okay thanks, we never actually got to learnt that topic in class and I was meant to self - teach i but I forgot to.
Original post by Rajive

Should be because they didn't specify the method in which you were to complete it with
Original post by Rakstar
Hey, I also did the same thing mentioning both x and y, for both of our sake, my teachers believe I may get the full marks. If the examiners don't accept it, you would only lose 1 mark. So don't worry.

You should get full marks for that. Question asks for x values but you gave both x and y. That's extra info and you can't be penalised for that. I'm sure I gave x and y also.
Original post by Rakstar

Hey, for the simultaneous equation question you know how there were two equations and for the first equation, in the question above you had to find the values for it. Well I put those x values as well as the other two from what I worked out when I drew the line of the second equation. Do you think I will get 0?
would i get 3 marks
i did 300/800 times by 16 to get 60
What happens if you get an answer all worked out... but then don't write it in the answer box in the bottom right? I did that with the 100-25PI answer and only noticed it as the invigilator was collecting in the papers. So I couldn't write it in as the time was gone. God knows why I didn't write it in... don't think I felt it was correct but it was.
Original post by Rebecca-Joseph
Hey, for the simultaneous equation question you know how there were two equations and for the first equation, in the question above you had to find the values for it. Well I put those x values as well as the other two from what I worked out when I drew the line of the second equation. Do you think I will get 0?

Hiya Rebecca you may be in a chance of getting marks for your working, I showed my workings and no you will get 0 if your workings are invalid. BTW best of luck to your exams, and best of wishes of you achieving your A*
You should get full marks for that. Question asks for x values but you gave both x and y. That's extra info and you can't be penalised for that. I'm sure I gave x and y also.

Nice, thanks for the re-assurance Darwinion, good to feel more confident, ye and I agree, the examiners shouldn't be that harsh.
Original post by 34908seikj
There's lots of recourses out there, but if you're aiming for A* you should really know everything by now that could come up in the exam, imo. It just sounds like you need to just go through the paper slower, re-read over the questions etc..

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/grade2.html

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcsetakeaway.htm

http://www.m4ths.com/gcse-videos-higherfoundation.html

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/GCSE/period-1/Higher/module.php

Probably best just doing past papers now though.

thanks for these but i believe that past papers make a huge difference
Anyone know the question for which the answers are 2 4/5 and 4/5 (Higher-tier paper)?
What happens if you get an answer all worked out... but then don't write it in the answer box in the bottom right? I did that with the 100-25PI answer and only noticed it as the invigilator was collecting in the papers. So I couldn't write it in as the time was gone. God knows why I didn't write it in... don't think I felt it was correct but it was.

You will only lose 1 mark, I have shown my working out, all my friends have also forgot to add that answer on the answer line. It's only a small mark lost, but hey who knows if the examiners may award you with all the marks, it has happened before, don't tell me about it! However in your case that's a good thing!
Original post by Debruyne
would i get 3 marks
i did 300/800 times by 16 to get 60

Yes because you ended up with the right answer, but that's not the method everyone else did. But regardless of that, well done!
Original post by MathsMaxMapsMats
Anyone know the question for which the answers are 2 4/5 and 4/5 (Higher-tier paper)?

http://mrkibria.weebly.com/uploads/7..._mr_kibria.pdf
Check this link, it's the question about working out with mixed fractions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending