The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10
you'd be surprised

if that's what you enjoy go ahead, my personal opinion, alongside with some friends of mine who do it, is that it is/seems boring

but then all these guys i know chose the ib route, so opinions are likely to be skewed

Interesting. I wonder, what IB applicant students actually seemed to enjoy their subject? Any in particular?
Original post by BizzStrut
Interesting. I wonder, what IB applicant students actually seemed to enjoy their subject? Any in particular?

i study finance and don't even enjoy it, i don't enjoy anything tbh.. i like to play table tennis
Is anyone aware of trinity college Dublin's reputation for IB? Especially in comparison to somewhere like warwick whom i have an offer from for physics.

Im indecisive as to which i would ultimately like to attend but i think how the universities affect my future prospects would swing it one way or the other.
Original post by gr8wizard10
i study finance and don't even enjoy it, i don't enjoy anything tbh.. i like to play table tennis

How do you think going into IB will change that?
Original post by Mr.bob
Is anyone aware of trinity college Dublin's reputation for IB? Especially in comparison to somewhere like warwick whom i have an offer from for physics.

Im indecisive as to which i would ultimately like to attend but i think how the universities affect my future prospects would swing it one way or the other.

Warwick places more in absolute terms, but both are represented.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BizzStrut
How do you think going into IB will change that?

i like doing practical stuff, i don't like learning anything through a classroom/lecture environment.. it bores me to death..

im an active fan of internships/work experience, because it's all applied and less the theoritical garbage that needs be remembered for a 2 hour exam after which i would forget straight after i leave the hall.

i'm a doer, call me a workaholic, this notion of formal education seems like an absolute waste of money to me and i don't feel it helps me build as a person or even intelectually. what i learnt at a level is almost all forgotten, but from the internship i did after a levels, i can remember what i learnt and how it applies to the wider context of finance and i learnt some tangible skills that can actually be leveraged.

uni = bs, waste of time and money (just a filtering tool i guess for the sheer competition of some jobs)
also it's too broad, i'm only interested in one aspect of a course i.e company valuation.. why the hell do i have to econometrics, derivatives (learning to derive options prices through black scholes), risk analysis etc.. the rest is just irrelevant to my life. i hate that sort of inefficiency

work = actually do something, and learn real skills whether that be excel, learning how to conduct business (etiquettes, how to talk to people) learn the 'actual' ongoings of the market etc.. etc..

i learn/enjoy more from sitting in an office doing/observing something.. than reading some boring ass book talking about how you can back out implied rates of interest from currency swap spreads

Original post by Mr.bob

they have a presence, although warwick has a much larger one
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
there are areas of engineering no one could ever find boring, like mechatronics. maybe they just have a hard time grasping the concepts and are put off.

[video="youtube;hNejutAMiTE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNejutAMiTE[/video]
Would you consider University of York as a semi-target for banking (IBD,M&A and etc) ? And would it be better do Economics & Finance rather than straight Economics ?
Thank you in advance
Original post by ponchik
Would you consider University of York as a semi-target for banking (IBD,M&A and etc) ? And would it be better do Economics & Finance rather than straight Economics ?
Thank you in advance

Borderline. Haven't seen a lot of York people in my network. Do the subject you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blooming York m8
Original post by Princepieman
Borderline. Haven't seen a lot of York people in my network. Do the subject you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is deemed more important for getting into banking/consultancy? Academics or industry experience?

For example, if someone went to a top 5 university, say Oxbridge, but has limited experience, would they be looked more or less favourably upon than someone who went to a less 'prestigious' university but has a lot of experience?
Original post by Peppercrunch
Which is deemed more important for getting into banking/consultancy? Academics or industry experience?

For example, if someone went to a top 5 university, say Oxbridge, but has limited experience, would they be looked more or less favourably upon than someone who went to a less 'prestigious' university but has a lot of experience?

Fookin depends dunnit u no, but I rekon it boils dewn 2 friggin Bolton at thuh end of thuh day
Original post by Peppercrunch

The latter example would win. Experience, 'interest', personality, extracurriculars, academics et al, paint a full picture of your particular 'story'. Sure by going to a target, you might get a bit more leeway in terms of experience reqs, but that doesn't mean you'll be a shoe-in. In fact, many of my friends are 'that person from a not-so-target/semi-target uni'. Most of them have summer offers in hand now because of their own 'stories' and how well they conveyed them at interview.

The process is much more individualised than most people would like to admit.
MSc Investment and Finance at Strathclyde Uni
MSc Finance at Durham

Would these courses be considered "good" enough to get my foot in the door?

I understand the onus is fully on me as a candidate to have the competencies/experience the banks require in order to succeed. I'm on course to achieve a first class in my undergrad degree but can't fund the MSc courses for the top targets i.e. Warwick, LSE, Imperial
Original post by ohguys
MSc Investment and Finance at Strathclyde Uni
MSc Finance at Durham

Would these courses be considered "good" enough to get my foot in the door?

I understand the onus is fully on me as a candidate to have the competencies/experience the banks require in order to succeed. I'm on course to achieve a first class in my undergrad degree but can't fund the MSc courses for the top targets i.e. Warwick, LSE, Imperial

Durham would be your best bet in terms of rep and access to banks on campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Durham would be your best bet in terms of rep and access to banks on campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, any other universities you would consider applying to in terms of reputation that are similar to Durham?

Nottingham and Edinburgh have now closed for applications
Original post by ohguys
Thanks, any other universities you would consider applying to in terms of reputation that are similar to Durham?

Nottingham and Edinburgh have now closed for applications

Cass, Bristol, Bath, Manchester, Loughborough etc
York PPE? Anyone who has experienced? Haven't really seen it mentioned around in regard to the sector.

My firm is Warwick for the same course but I don't know if I'll get the grades needed.
Original post by Adrono
York PPE? Anyone who has experienced? Haven't really seen it mentioned around in regard to the sector.

My firm is Warwick for the same course but I don't know if I'll get the grades needed.

Will be much more tough as it isn't a usual semi-target/target, but there are plenty of York grads floating around. PPE or not doesn't make a difference tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there!

What do you guys think about Cranfield Msc Fin & Mgmt? I know it cannot be compared to Oxbridge and LSE, but i've read that several people have turned down Imperial in favor of this program. Personally, Cass Msc in Corp Fin is my target, how does Cranfield compare?

Cranfield is sufficiently close to London for my standards, so don't take the "convenience" of Cass in account. I have seen plenty of IB people (BB) on linkedin with Cranfield, about the same as MSc Corp Fin from Cass.

Do Cranfield students have a comparable exposure to campus recruiting as Cass? What is the perception of Cranfield in IB (BB, middle market, boutique)? PE? Corp fin consulting?

Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending