The Student Room Group

why do people think this about veganism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
Compared to 6 pints cow milk for £1.50? Every penny counts

Well done, you will save a massive total of £10 in a whole year, I'm sure the cow titty juice is worth it
Original post by Justmoll28
that veganism is 'hard' or 'too expensive' or 'too time consuming'

it baffles me..i want to know why people think this?

It's hard because most people in this society grow up with animal products being a massive part of their diet and switching to no animal products is a big change.
It's expensive because of the price of organic food and perhaps all the ingredients you're buying to cook a nutritious vegan meal
It's time consuming because if you don't have the time to cook nutritious meals, you could fall into a habit of just not eating adequately because you're limited on the amount of quick/filling/nutritious foods you can eat on the go
Original post by Justmoll28
nope: Vegans, in addition to being vegetarian, do not use other animal products and by-products such as eggs, dairy products, honey, leather, fur, silk, wool, cosmetics, and soaps derived from animal products.

wat... so how do they get protein then?

do they like grow it in a lab or something?
I think if people want to be vegan that's their choice but I've never met a vegan who isn't a complete a$$. there is a real need for them to impose their views on everyone. I've looked at the facts I'm not unintelligent but I've chosen my way to live and expect it to be equally respected
Original post by Steelmeat
wat... so how do they get protein then?

do they like grow it in a lab or something?

Vegetables, soya milk, tofu, beans, nuts and plenty of other vegan foods are all rich in protein
Original post by lehcarbat
Vegetables, soya milk, tofu, beans, nuts and plenty of other vegan foods are all rich in protein

oh i see
Original post by Mimsycrafts
I think if people want to be vegan that's their choice but I've never met a vegan who isn't a complete a$$. there is a real need for them to impose their views on everyone. I've looked at the facts I'm not unintelligent but I've chosen my way to live and expect it to be equally respected

Do you respect the cows right to live?

Can you give us some facts on why you should eat meat?
It's ignorance. Deliberate

Posted from TSR Mobile
If people choose to do it, then fine, but I don't think its right to try to guilt other people into it. They chose their diet, I chose mine, I don't constantly tell people about what I eat. A couple of people in my family were vegans for a short time and it was always so hard finding a place were we could all eat and providing food for family parties and stuff. It was really expensive trying to find good quality alternatives, and time consuming checking every single thing (not just food) for animal byproducts. I also disagree with trying to force vegan diets on children or pets. In the case of kids, let them decide if they want to follow that diet when they're old enough, I hate to think what that kind of separation would do to them at parties etc when they aren't allowed to share cake/chocolate with friends.
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
If people choose to do it, then fine, but I don't think its right to try to guilt other people into it. They chose their diet, I chose mine, I don't constantly of people in my family were vegans for a short time and it was always so hard finding a place were we could all eat and providing food for family parties and stuff. It was really expensive trying to find good quality alternatives, and time consuming checking every singleI also disagree with trying to force vegan diets on children or pets. In the case of kids, let them decide if they want to follow that diet when they're old enough, I hate to think what that kind of separation would do to them at parties etc when they aren't allowed to share cake/chocolate with friends.

So forcing kids to eat meat is a good alternative?
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
Well done, you will save a massive total of £10 in a whole year, I'm sure the cow titty juice is worth it

My family uses about 2 bottles of 6 pints milk a week, to have 12 pints of vegan milk will cost around £7 a week, compared to £3 for cow milk, that's a £4 difference, which is £208 a year... (just under my family's weekly income...)
Fair enough people living on their own might be able to do that but for goodness' sake we don't live off milk alone, how do we make the transition from cheeses (fish and meat)? Alternatives? Oh wait, yeah that's pretty costly too.

You simply can't expect people to go vegan unless the food is made cheaper...
(edited 7 years ago)
So forcing kids to eat meat is a good alternative?

The entire point I was making was that kids should choose what they eat and shouldn't be forced to follow a certain diet unless there are actual health reasons.
The entire point I was making was that kids should choose what they eat and shouldn't be forced to follow a certain diet unless there are actual health reasons.

You have no point. All parents make choices for their kids, because they cannot make choices for themselves. Both sides force their kids
My family uses about 2 bottles of 6 pints milk a week, to have 12 pints of vegan milk will cost around £7 a week, compared to £3 for cow milk, that's a £4 difference, which is £208 a year... (just under my family's weekly income...)
Fair enough people living on their own might be able to do that but for goodness' sake we don't live off milk alone, how do we make the transition from cheeses (fish and meat)? Alternatives? Oh wait, yeah that's pretty costly too.

You simply can't expect people to vegan unless the food is made cheaper...

Meat is literally the most expensive food you can buy. Quorn and Linda McCartney products are cheaper.

Starches, pulses, fruits and veg are the cheapest food.

It's not just about going straight vegan. Going vegetarian is definitely not anymore expensive than eating meat
Reply 54

You simply can't expect people to vegan unless the food is made cheaper...

rice, potatoes, lentils, pasta, beans, grains are soo cheap and are staples in most plant based diets + yeah vegan cheeses/milks are more expensive but you don't NEED them. Check out 'Cheap Lazy Vegan' on YouTube, she managed to live on £1 per day as a vegan for a week! But yeah I do think that it can be time consuming in the beginning learning all the recipes and finding out what you like
You have no point. All parents make choices for their kids, because they cannot make choices for themselves. Both sides force their kids

So forcing a child on a very restrictive diet is totally fine? Okay, if you think that's a fair way to bring up a child, that's your choice. It's also my choice to bring up my own kids on a normal diet.
Meat is literally the most expensive food you can buy. Quorn and Linda McCartney products are cheaper.

Starches, pulses, fruits and veg are the cheapest food.

It's not just about going straight vegan. Going vegetarian is definitely not anymore expensive than eating meat

I'm sorry but there is nothing natural about eating quorn isn't it made in a lab!? I've eaten quorn a few times and each time it has given me stomach pain, yet meat never seems to have this effect. And don't get me wrong I'm not someone who eats meat everyday I occasionally eat meat and even then it's only chicken or lamb.
Meat is literally the most expensive food you can buy.

... No it isn't.
Reply 58
So forcing a child on a very restrictive diet is totally fine? Okay, if you think that's a fair way to bring up a child, that's your choice. It's also my choice to bring up my own kids on a normal diet.

restrictive? seriously?? you obviously haven't done any research on the topic and so you shouldn't be making those assumptions!
Also, the World Health Organisation has now classed processed meats including ham, sausages and lamb as carcinogenic, but sure feeding your children vegetables, fruit and beans is not a 'fair way' to bring up your children!
I didn't say I agreed with them, but if that is what it takes for these factory farms to shut down then so be it.

If you actually cared about the environment and species so much, why don't you talk about the meat industry being the:
Largest contributor to rainforest deforestation.
Largest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.
Largest contributor to species extinction.
Hundreds of billions of animals are killed every year.

I don't think releasing harmful invasive species into an environment where they damage native wildlife is at all acceptable, and is not justified by the conditions in those fur farms. Political progress on fur farms was made because of legitimate campaigning, not illegal actions like the release of mink. In fact you could argue those actions actually harmed the cause and make things more difficult for legitimate campaigners.

Rainforest deforestation is a problem, but not exactly relevant for people who buy British farmed meats.

I've heard stuff about rainforests and greenhouse gas, but I'd like a citation for "largest contributor to species extinction", especially given many extinctions have multiple factors involved and you can't always point to one and say it was the main cause.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending