The Student Room Group

WJEC C3/C4 8th/17th June 2016

For all the Further maths guys/gals and A2 maths peeps out there.

Couldnt find a thread for this so decided to make one. If anyone is struggling with the units visit madasmaths.
Their questions are brilliant for testing understanding.

I think another thread should be made for M1/S1.

People may think the exam is a while away although its only a couple days after half term week off 'study leave'

Personal I stuggle with C3 functions as there can be some hard questions. Along with C4 vectors since WJEC are making the papers 'harder'.

Could someone give me a clue what the proof by contradiction question is going to be this year? Its the most awkward question with no method.

Last year wjec came up with some random proof by contradiction and its unfair to test students on something that cannot be learnt.....πŸ€”πŸ‘Œ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sitting wjec a level maths this year woo! Was just about to make a thread for the upcoming exams but found this that youve made :smile: I've barely started revision for c3 & c4 yet bcos I've been focusing on c1 & c2. I feel like both exams will be as hard as last years bcos c1 & c2 were both challenging papers , no idea what type of questions they'll throw in tho (hopefully no dividing by 0 like last year's haahah)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 98matt
I'm sitting wjec a level maths this year woo! Was just about to make a thread for the upcoming exams but found this that youve made :smile: I've barely started revision for c3 & c4 yet bcos I've been focusing on c1 & c2. I feel like both exams will be as hard as last years
bcos c1 & c2 were both challenging papers , no idea what type of questions they'll throw in tho (hopefully no dividing by 0 like last year's haahah)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! That C4 I think where the line had an infinite gradient was weird. I cant remember what you needed to do but that the first ever maths question Ive come across where there's two an answers depending on what subject you substitute.... Weird C4 paper
Ayy, I didn't think there'd ever be a thread on these exams but nice, I'm doing them :smile:.
Original post by Maths is Life
Yes! That C4 I think where the line had an infinite gradient was weird. I cant remember what you needed to do but that the first ever maths question Ive come across where there's two an answers depending on what subject you substitute.... Weird C4 paper

I thought it was a pretty good C4 paper, although they could still make it a bit less routine/more challenging. That said, I think grade boundaries plummeted last year simply because most students were only able to do questions that had appeared in past papers (with different numbers) and were thrown by some slightly more interesting ones.

But still hoping for a harder paper this year. :redface:

What year was that?
Reply 6
Original post by ConicalFlask
What year was that?

Last year's June 2015 paper:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
hello, i'm doing c3 and c4 this june too :smile: What aspects of the syllabus do you think they'll try to give difficult questions on this year? Just out of interest! :smile:
Original post by 11hedd11
hello, i'm doing c3 and c4 this june too :smile: What aspects of the syllabus do you think they'll try to give difficult questions on this year? Just out of interest! :smile:

Well if we look at the spec. for C3, it's tough to see anywhere they can actually make the questions challenging. Even with C1 it's easier to see how they might set some trickier questions XD.
I think if you know all your stuff for C3 there shouldn't be anything that you find too daunting in the paper :smile:.
Could someone give me a clue what the proof by contradiction question is going to be this year? Its the most awkward question with no method.

Last year wjec came up with some random proof by contradiction and its unfair to test students on something that cannot be learnt.....πŸ€”πŸ‘Œ

I don't think it's unfair at all. If students want to they can always practise by going online and finding proofs by contradiction to try themselves. Plus none of them are hard at all, the examiners are usually are even nice enough to give you the first couple of lines.
It's just a few marks at the end of the last core module to test a little aptitude/problem solving. I'm sure this year's one will be interesting :biggrin:.
Reply 10
Good luck to everyone tomorrow. I'm expecting something as hard as (if not harder) than last year's paper :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hoping they won't do anything too new, since it won't be the last paper of this type like it is in other subjects, so they'll keep the "creativity" for other subjects.
Original post by 98matt
Good luck to everyone tomorrow. I'm expecting something as hard as (if not harder) than last year's paper :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully it won't be too bad. After that disgusting Chem exam before half term I can't deal with another tough one...
I've done the C3 PPs and damn they have been getting pretty bloody difficult recently.

I hope they don't make it harder than last years C3 paper. That was hard enough
Original post by Jack1066
I've done the C3 PPs and damn they have been getting pretty bloody difficult recently.

I hope they don't make it harder than last years C3 paper. That was hard enough

Just know all the 7 proofs of trigonometric differentiation (formula booklet). And the 6 new graphs of inverse and cot,cosec,sec. And you'll be fine.Functions is always a big worry.
I think im ready!:biggrin:
Original post by 98matt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. To be honest I think that the functions question was ok last year... Apart from that I think transformations could be tricky tomorrow
Just know all the 7 proofs of trigonometric differentiation (formula booklet). And the 6 new graphs of inverse and cot,cosec,sec. And you'll be fine.Functions is always a big worry.

what.

graphs of cot, sec and cosec? I didn't even know we had to know that

What are the 7 proofs and graphs as I'm not sure what you mean by this?
I know what you mean by graphs lol I got them but can you send me all the proofs please?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JessyMarie
What are the 7 proofs and graphs as I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Look at page 5 of the formula booklet under quotient rule. The 7 trigonometric functions need to be differentiated using subsitutions that WJEC usually give. The graphs are: tan^-1, cos^-1,sin*-1,sec,cosec,cot.
If youre unsure just google it πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘πŸ˜€

Quick Reply

Latest