The Student Room Group

Will My Maths GCSE Hinder Me??!

Hiiiii, ok so my maths exam went TERRIBLE.

I'm usually a B student predicted a B+/A- but looking at the mark scheme for that test I probably just scraped a B, maybe even got a C!
I've cried my tears and know that I'll need to get at least 87+ on calc to get an A overall. I'm trying hard but on the most likely chance that it won't happen I'm just wondering whether my school will accept me for Economics A Level. I'm just wondering because I know they say they want an A in Maths at GCSE but it isn't that maths based, the maths I'm bad at won't be in Economics. I'm actually quite good it and I am very confident in graphs. Is there any way I can get them to accept me despite my most likely B grade in Maths, my grades in all my other subjects are predicted at A*/A. Btw I don't want to do Economics at Uni.

If anyone could hep that'd be perfect, please
Original post by docmartensgirl
Hiiiii, ok so my maths exam went TERRIBLE.

I'm usually a B student predicted a B+/A- but looking at the mark scheme for that test I probably just scraped a B, maybe even got a C!
I've cried my tears and know that I'll need to get at least 87+ on calc to get an A overall. I'm trying hard but on the most likely chance that it won't happen I'm just wondering whether my school will accept me for Economics A Level. I'm just wondering because I know they say they want an A in Maths at GCSE but it isn't that maths based, the maths I'm bad at won't be in Economics. I'm actually quite good it and I am very confident in graphs. Is there any way I can get them to accept me despite my most likely B grade in Maths, my grades in all my other subjects are predicted at A*/A. Btw I don't want to do Economics at Uni.

If anyone could hep that'd be perfect, please

just say you will retake
Original post by The gains kinggg
just say you will retake

Excuse my dumbness, but retake? I literally never knew this was an option. So what would I say to them? I'll redo it as I do my Economics A Level?
Reply 3
Original post by The gains kinggg
just say you will retake

But wouldn't she have to learn the new syllabus for the new GCSEs.
Reply 4
Its possible to retake depending on your school, you will need to have a good talk with your teachers is what I would recommend
Reply 5
Hi,
after reading your post I have to say I feel for you. Last year I didn't get my predicted grade in Chem which made me look like an idiot in front of the schools I was applying to for next year...:s-smilie:So I know how you feel. But let's get to the point. Even though your school says you need an A they might let you do the course even if you missed it. My school doesn't do any of that with subjects like Maths because of the dropout rate, but with Economics I think you should be fine. Since you don't want to get a degree in the subject I suppose you won't need to apply a ton of maths to it, so try talking about that to the teachers in school. Besides, we all make mistakes. I'm predicted a strong A* in Maths but literally as soon as I came out of the exam hall on the 26th I knew about at least one question I got wrong, which in my position and with my aspiration is a real pain...:colonhash: Just make sure you make the school think you're a hard worker, as I'm sure you are, either by your final grades if you're not attending the school at the moment, or by your efforts and the amount of interest you put into lessons (if you still have any) or revision during lesson-free periods.

And btw, the mark scheme won't be released publicly on the Edexcel website until 2018. The one you looked at is almost definitely not genuine as the marking starts later, so it may be unofficial and created by someone not qualified for the job. The bottom line is, don't worry about it, move on and concentrate on your upcoming exams.If you miss the maths mark but get good grades in all your other subjects, you're so much more likely to do the Economics course.

And remember, you can always resit your exams, so don't worry, it's all good! :smile:

If you need any help with Maths in preparation for the calc paper, feel free to ask, I'm more than happy to help.

Best of luck in your exams!:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
It scares me how much I relate to this, I was feeling quietly confident that I could get at least a B in maths but Thursday's exam left me in shambles, I almost felt like crying. I panicked and could not even answer the most simplest questions, (which in hindsight I could probably do). I partly blame my teacher's, they were so reliant on past papers and never even taught us the full syllabus. I also want to get a B in maths to do science at A-levels and I was told that my Sixth Form head of year never changes his mind, you either get the grade or don't do the course.

I guess I am going to have to try my hardest and learn all the content/practice before the next exam because I will probably need to get more than 70 to get the B after how badly I did in the last exam.

By the way I wish you the best, you can do this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending