The Student Room Group

Don't laze around

Seriously though, I know it's half-term now but pleaseeeeee don't laze around and stop revising.

I properly got into the swings of revising for A Levels a few weeks ago and made sure I did some kind of revision every day for it... then about 2/3 days ago I told myself I could relax cause I don't have any other exams until the 21st June.

Don't make my mistake

It's only been 2/3 days but do you know how hard it is now to force myself to try and revise again, I've gotten too comfortable binge watching TV and playing games (seriously don't play civilisation V don't play it you will waste your life away) and now it just seems like a tremendous amount of effort to even think about revising.

So yes this goes for everyone, it is so much harder to start redoing revision even after only a small break of a few days. Just make sure you keep doing something about it every day or you will become a lazy SLOB.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Inexorably
Seriously though, I know it's half-term now but pleaseeeeee don't laze around and stop revising.

I properly got into the swings of revising for A Levels a few weeks ago and made sure I did some kind of revision every day for it... then about 2/3 days ago I told myself I could relax cause I don't have any other exams until the 21st June.

Don't make my mistake

It's only been 2/3 days but do you know how hard it is now to force myself to try and revise again, I've gotten too comfortable binge watching TV and playing games (seriously don't play civilisation V don't play it you will waste your life away) and now it just seems like a tremendous amount of effort to even think about revising.

So yes this goes for everyone, it is so much harder to start redoing revision even after only a small break of a few days. Just make sure you keep doing something about it every day or you will become a lazy SLOB.

Well said mate. Hope everyone gets to read this. It really is strange though, I used to work hard all year round and then right before exams I seemed to slack off :redface:

Of course that ended up with piteous grades :cry2:

x

Needed to read this. I was contemplating doing no revision for the rest of the day.
Reply 3
I find that having an incentive works well.

So before I start I'd tell myself if I do this bit of revision then I can have/do this afterwards...

It also helps to write a list of all the revision you want to do for that day in the morning (start early in the day to avoid slacking off in the day) and progress through it at your own pace but making sure you complete it by the end of the day. So you can get the stuff done without it being so overwhelming. :redface:
Reply 4
I literally have no energy whatsoever, i feel dead. Physics exam went so bad and i have another one on the 17th but I just can't stop thinking about the previous 5 exams i've done and i keep looking at the unofficial mark schemes all the time its so frustrating
Reply 5
This is so true. I stopped revising on wednesday after my last exam before the half term. I should really think about starting again as i have a few exams left in early june. Thanks for the inspiration, I will start again tomorrow!
I finished my exams!
This happened to me :frown:. I finished my resit exam and gave myself a few days off as a reward but now i haven't revised propperly in a week.
Reply 8
Original post by Namita Gurung
Needed to read this. I was contemplating doing no revision for the rest of the day.

Glad I could help :biggrin:

Original post by aamirac
I find that having an incentive works well.

So before I start I'd tell myself if I do this bit of revision then I can have/do this afterwards...

It also helps to write a list of all the revision you want to do for that day in the morning (start early in the day to avoid slacking off in the day) and progress through it at your own pace but making sure you complete it by the end of the day. So you can get the stuff done without it being so overwhelming. :redface:

I never find incentives that good as I always end up just rushing revision and not learning anything just so I can play a game or something :tongue:

But I guess something incentive-like I found is useful, is something someone brought up on reddit. They mentioned you having 3 selves past, present, future. I just ignore the past and present and fixate on the future self for this sake - you have to imagine how your future self would feel if you did something now.

And yakno that really drives me sometimes. My future self will be happier that I've revised now and not left it another week, my future self will be happier that I've tidied my room now and not left it till the weekend, my future self will be happy that I made an effort to lose weight now, and not in a year etc.

Think about how it will benefit your future self; which will eventually become your present self :biggrin:

Original post by Ranadosa
I literally have no energy whatsoever, i feel dead. Physics exam went so bad and i have another one on the 17th but I just can't stop thinking about the previous 5 exams i've done and i keep looking at the unofficial mark schemes all the time its so frustrating

I know it's easier said than done but just accept that all of that is in the past, those exams cannot be changed now and all you have to do is focus on your other exams. Leave it in the past, learn from it and move on.

Original post by Exavior
This is so true. I stopped revising on wednesday after my last exam before the half term. I should really think about starting again as i have a few exams left in early june. Thanks for the inspiration, I will start again tomorrow!

Why delay something till tomorrow when you can do it today?!
Reply 9
this happened to me also ifjoiejgaoijgfowej od ds cant stop kicking myself about it :argh: but hoping to get my head down again today :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ODES_PDES
I finished my exams!

:cry2: you lucky shite
Thanks for this, Inexorably! :hugs:

Spoiler

Reply 12
Why delay something till tomorrow when you can do it today?!

I would do it today but I an out today. I will do lots during the rest of my holiday tho!
Exam season started for my uni on Monday and they're on for another two weeks. I don't finish until the day before the final day of exams and my motivation's seriously lacking. Definitely going to continue to work hard to get this 2:1

I never find incentives that good as I always end up just rushing revision and not learning anything just so I can play a game or something :tongue:

But I guess something incentive-like I found is useful, is something someone brought up on reddit. They mentioned you having 3 selves past, present, future. I just ignore the past and present and fixate on the future self for this sake - you have to imagine how your future self would feel if you did something now.

And ya know that really drives me sometimes. My future self will be happier that I've revised now and not left it another week, my future self will be happier that I've tidied my room now and not left it till the weekend, my future self will be happy that I made an effort to lose weight now, and not in a year etc.

Think about how it will benefit your future self; which will eventually become your present self :biggrin:

Incentives or incentive-like things can differ between people.
I'm very much focused on the present because I don't know what I want the future to entail as of yet. That shelf still needs to be built. :redface:
So even if a small incentive gets me through the day, at least I'd still get the revision I want to do done. :colondollar:

But thank you for that. Definitely opened my mind to the possibilities out there. :rave:
Don't tell me what to do!!!!!!!
Original post by super_kawaii
Exam season started for my uni on Monday and they're on for another two weeks. I don't finish until the day before the final day of exams and my motivation's seriously lacking. Definitely going to continue to work hard to get this 2:1

be grateful youve so much time to study. many of us got shafted xD
Original post by trustmeimlying1
be grateful youve so much time to study. many of us got shafted xD

I've already had 5 exams, as well as an essay submission, as well as continuous assessments and mid terms, so it's been constant intense studying all year for me. Same in first semester and for January exams :smile: So, I'm not THAT lucky when it comes to assessments-they're every single week of the academic year on my course!
(edited 7 years ago)
True af, so easy to get complacent.
Original post by super_kawaii
I've already had 5 exams, as well as an essay submission, as well as continuous assessments and mid terms, so it's been constant intense studying all year for me. Same in first semester and for January exams :smile: So, I'm not THAT lucky when it comes to assessments-they're every single week of the academic year on my course!

5 exams is yucky but better theyre spread out...some courses are exam after exam chock a block.

best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest