The Student Room Group

National 5 maths was brutal

Scroll to see replies

We recognise that the exams period is a stressful time for young people and their parents. We are aware of the concerns many of them have raised on online petitions about the Higher Maths exams and we want to reassure them.As is the case every year, we do not set the pass mark or the number of marks required for each grade until the marking process is complete, later in the summer. This procedure ensures that we have the necessary statistical information on how the exam performed and whether it was harder than intended. Only then will we set the marks required for each grade.We would therefore expect someone who got an A, B or C grade last year to receive the same result this year.These rigorous processes are in place to ensure that no-one will be disadvantaged.

-Response to the Higher paper last year
This is hilarious, all the studying i got for the exam for one past paper the day before and that was good enough. I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up, most of the questions were the most basic questions you could get for that topic and any questions that was a bit more difficult could be solved due to the large amounts of time we had. Honestly i think that basic revision over the topics was all that was necessary and the reasons people are getting so worked up is they couldn't even be bothered to do that before hand. So just bulk up everyone and study more
Reply 103
Am I really the only person that thought it was okay? Like I thought it was more difficult than the previous papers for sure but there was nothing in there that we haven't been taught? plus it's an exam, isn't it meant to be more difficult/challenging? (before anyone says so I'd like to mention I'm not saying anything bad about anyone that found it difficult I'm just kinda shocked that there doesn't seem to be anyone else that thought it was okay???)
Original post by o.0
there was nothing in there that we haven't been taught?

I know it's only a minor thing, but some schools/teachers made the decision not to go over trig identities meaning that, for some people, there was something in the exam that that they hadn't been taught. And that's why they would be complaining. :redface:
Reply 105
Original post by Aidan.15
I know it's only a minor thing, but some schools/teachers made the decision not to go over trig identities meaning that, for some people, there was something in the exam that that they hadn't been taught. And that's why they would be complaining. :redface:

oh man really?!? That sucks! My teacher went over it but repeatedly told us that its unlikely it would even come in the exam so not to worry about it :hahaha:(well that failed ) If anyone else did answer it did they get sin^2x???
Reply 106
Original post by SSJBlue
Why are people that are currently sitting higher/advanced higher/beyond complaining that this years N5 maths exam is easy? Of course it will be easy for you, you're studying maths at a much higher level!

Aside from that, IMO Paper 1 was brutal, think I messed up at least 3 questions, paper 2 was easy I think I got near full marks for that one.

I sat the nat 5 one and i thought it was fairly okay??? But i suppose maths is supposed to be the subject teachers think Im good at :hahaha: (silly teachers)
Original post by o.0
I sat the nat 5 one and i thought it was fairly okay??? But i suppose maths is supposed to be the subject teachers think Im good at :hahaha: (silly teachers)

I thought it was okay, different from other papers but okay. That person did have a point about H and AH people commenting on it, of course it's easy for them.

How do you think you did in Paper 2 ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by Ethan100
I thought it was okay, different from other papers but okay. That person did have a point about H and AH people commenting on it, of course it's easy for them.

How do you think you did in Paper 2 ?

Yeah i get what you mean :unimpressed: Obviously if you've sat higher our work looks simple XD

I definitely found paper 2 much easier than paper one but for the vector journeys question my brain decided to be a bum and i wrote my answer for A-D rather than B-D (WHY!!!?!!!) But i checked the solutions online and apparently that's the only question i got wrong in paper two??? (still struggling to believe it really XD)

What did you think of it? :smile:
Original post by o.0
Yeah i get what you mean :unimpressed: Obviously if you've sat higher our work looks simple XD

I definitely found paper 2 much easier than paper one but for the vector journeys question my brain decided to be a bum and i wrote my answer for A-D rather than B-D (WHY!!!?!!!) But i checked the solutions online and apparently that's the only question i got wrong in paper two??? (still struggling to believe it really XD)

What did you think of it? :smile:

Wooow you did really well. I also found Paper 2 significantly easier, I usually read the questions thoroughly but I just messed up with some of my final roundings. A question asked for 2 sig fig rounding but I put it 2 decimal places and another one asked for 1 decimal place and I put it to 2 decimal places :frown:

How was Paper 1 ?

What do you think the A grade boundary will be ?

What other exams did you sit and how do you think they went :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by Ethan100
Wooow you did really well. I also found Paper 2 significantly easier, I usually read the questions thoroughly but I just messed up with some of my final roundings. A question asked for 2 sig fig rounding but I put it 2 decimal places and another one asked for 1 decimal place and I put it to 2 decimal places :frown:

How was Paper 1 ?

What do you think the A grade boundary will be ?

What other exams did you sit and how do you think they went :wink:

oh mannnn! i hate it when that happens! When i was revising i made that mistake so many times so when it came to the actual exam rounding to the correct sf was my priority XD you'll still get the previous marks for the questions though so there's that :wink:

I made a silly mistake on the "length of A-V" one for the square based pyramid, instead of doing double Pythagoras i only did it once (once again something in class i somehow got right but when it came to the exam messed up on haha) I think the rest of it was okay though. I sat staring at the trig identities one for ten minutes until it finally hit me what you were supposed to do XD

Considering a lot of people found it difficult i think they'll drop the pass mark to maybe 42%- 45% but i don't think they'll move the A boundary more than a few %, maybe 67%?? but from what I've found so far either people found it really really difficult or they thought it was okay, like literally no in between XD

So far ive also done English (went okay but my folio pieces were horrendous XD), Biology , Chemistry, Physics, and I've got German on Wednesday next week :s-smilie: Although German is probably the easiest exam ever so i think it should hopefully go okay :smile: How about y0u :biggrin:
Original post by o.0
oh mannnn! i hate it when that happens! When i was revising i made that mistake so many times so when it came to the actual exam rounding to the correct sf was my priority XD you'll still get the previous marks for the questions though so there's that :wink:

I made a silly mistake on the "length of A-V" one for the square based pyramid, instead of doing double Pythagoras i only did it once (once again something in class i somehow got right but when it came to the exam messed up on haha) I think the rest of it was okay though. I sat staring at the trig identities one for ten minutes until it finally hit me what you were supposed to do XD

Considering a lot of people found it difficult i think they'll drop the pass mark to maybe 42%- 45% but i don't think they'll move the A boundary more than a few %, maybe 67%?? but from what I've found so far either people found it really really difficult or they thought it was okay, like literally no in between XD

So far ive also done English (went okay but my folio pieces were horrendous XD), Biology , Chemistry, Physics, and I've got German on Wednesday next week :s-smilie: Although German is probably the easiest exam ever so i think it should hopefully go okay :smile: How about y0u :biggrin:

I do believe Paper 2 bumped up my grade quite a lot, hahaha. Oh and I did have some difficulty with the last question in paper 2. I didn't get it completely wrong but I did get 1 or maybe 2 marks off sadly. I had correct method and technique just wrong numbers I believe so hoping for follow through marks

Yeah I have Modern this monday :redface: Sooo much to write, HELPPP
Yeah same, My creative piece for my English portfolio was really bad. I am hoping for a B in english, hopefully I can get that :P

I also had chemistry and Physics and I had Computing yesterday :P
(edited 7 years ago)
The Grade Boundaries will be close to the traditional grade boundaries maybe about 2% less than normal, theres always going to be "A" Grade questions so theres no point in complaining
Almost everyone comes out of exams feeling bad. There's always a few hard questions, if there wasn't there would be no point in an exam. An exam is to test your abilities and see how you cope under pressure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending