The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE MATHS, Higher, Paper 1 (NON CALC)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GAndrew
If we're thinking of the same question - this being the drawn axis without any digits, the information given was something like y=x^2. If this was the case I can remember that the question was out of a total of 1 mark, specifying that for the mark 2 correct coordinates must be shown - this being (0,1). This question was most definitely an A/A* topic.

Ahh right. I was running out of time so I read it quickly and tried to work it out and just put 1 :/
Annoyed that I didn't put the 0 ugh
Original post by GAndrew
Thanks again for replying to this thread :smile: In regards to the questions I have attached a word file of my answers based from memory, compared to that of the unofficial mark scheme. I'd like to see how you think you compared to this, taking in to account that these answers are only a prediction, however many do appear to be correct.

Cheers

For 17b, was it wrong to put -2.2 and 2.2? No one else seems to have put it but I can't see why it's wrong :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by surina16
For 17b, was it wrong to put -2.2 and 2.2? No one else seems to have put it but I can't see why it's wrong :frown:
Honestly I can't remember what this question was precisely. My only guess would be that this question was on the topic of surds or square roots, which if this is the case the answer to a square root can include both a positive and negative answer. Most people forgot or don't realise to write the negative, as the answer line is single and not double (like the solutions question). If I am regarding the right question, I remember that I didn't do this anyways - so don't take my word completely.

If you wouldn't mind replying what grade you think you've achieved in this paper, as I'm still sweating over if I've messed up or not. The worst part was coming out of the exam and overhearing how to complete the plumbing/pipes question on creating the equation, seems so easy to me now - shame it was the only question with a total of 5 marks :/ That said, good old Drayne Pipes did make me feel a little bit happier...
Original post by GAndrew
Honestly I can't remember what this question was precisely. My only guess would be that this question was on the topic of surds or square roots, which if this is the case the answer to a square root can include both a positive and negative answer. Most people forgot or don't realise to write the negative, as the answer line is single and not double (like the solutions question). If I am regarding the right question, I remember that I didn't do this anyways - so don't take my word completely.

If you wouldn't mind replying what grade you think you've achieved in this paper, as I'm still sweating over if I've messed up or not. The worst part was coming out of the exam and overhearing how to complete the plumbing/pipes question on creating the equation, seems so easy to me now - shame it was the only question with a total of 5 marks :/ That said, good old Drayne Pipes did make me feel a little bit happier...

Oh okay, I'm hoping it's marked correctly tbh - I never really read the full stem bit of the question fully so I should probably do that next time just to make sure :colondollar:
I think I should have got an A* in this exam as none of the topics I hate came up (eg loci, constructions, big angle questions) meaning they'll probably all come up in the calculator paper. Don't beat yourself up about the plumbing question, if you wrote something down, even just one of the equations, you will get method marks. :h: Just focus on the calculator paper and make sure you smash it so you can achieve your target grade :smile:
What are you hoping to get in maths overall?
Ah yes, Dwane Pipes... Nice bit of pun-work from AQA to cheer everyone up a little :biggrin:
Reply 24
I was really gutted at my performance during that paper! I had literally done all of the past papers available for AQA, OCR and CGP, and seemed to get relatively consistent marks (either high A or A*). I finished in half an hour and the question's had really knocked my confidence, some i couldn't answer...
The thing is i really want to do A-level maths and now I'm not sure that i even got an A (which is the entry requirement for my school) :frown:
Everyone keeps on saying 'oh don't worry, you can make it up in the calculator paper, but what if i don't?
Reply 25
Original post by Hannxhq
I was really gutted at my performance during that paper! I had literally done all of the past papers available for AQA, OCR and CGP, and seemed to get relatively consistent marks (either high A or A*). I finished in half an hour and the question's had really knocked my confidence, some i couldn't answer...
The thing is i really want to do A-level maths and now I'm not sure that i even got an A (which is the entry requirement for my school) :frown:
Everyone keeps on saying 'oh don't worry, you can make it up in the calculator paper, but what if i don't?
To be honest my target grade is a B, personally I'm striving to get a C, so that I never have to spend any more time wrapping my head around simultaneous equations. When coming out of the exam I also felt absolutely wrenched and still now I feel that to some degree I let myself down. For preparation I remember doing countless amounts of past papers, which all averaged at a C/B, yet I didn't worry about if I achieved my target because they were only mock exams. Which presented the conclusion that I didn't see myself doing so well in the real exam, because I care about it, when you really want something to be just so, any slight doubt can really knock you for 10. If you've been doing well before hand there's no reason why you shouldn't be In the same position of when you did your last mock.

The whole reason I started this thread was because I felt disappointed in my performance, perhaps I needed a small confidence boost. The point I am trying to make here is that there will always be people in the same boat as you, usually the people who say that the exam was easy are the people who answered the questions wrong. If the general grade boundaries for an A average at around 40, try and reflect on the answers you wrote down, maybe count up the marks or pages you think you got right, it's most common that you vividly remember the bad parts of the exam more than any representative good sections.

As of now I'm preparing for the calculator paper and looking forward to the marks I can achieve in this exam. It's possible to excel in paper 2 and bump up your grades by 2, if not 3 boundaries. The best thing to do is not look back on what's already written, instead look forward on getting what you deserve in the rest of your exams. There's no point on letting a usually excellent performance drag your confidence down on the rest of your education. That said, If you don't quite get the grades you were aiming for there's always multiple ways of getting what you strive for in life. Most of the time colleges understand everybody has slip ups, particularly in exams, often they look into different alternative or if you are really persistent they might take into account grades achieved from other subjects that might give you a footing of entry into a maths A levels.
Reply 26
Original post by GAndrew
To be honest my target grade is a B, personally I'm striving to get a C, so that I never have to spend any more time wrapping my head around simultaneous equations. When coming out of the exam I also felt absolutely wrenched and still now I feel that to some degree I let myself down. For preparation I remember doing countless amounts of past papers, which all averaged at a C/B, yet I didn't worry about if I achieved my target because they were only mock exams. Which presented the conclusion that I didn't see myself doing so well in the real exam, because I care about it, when you really want something to be just so, any slight doubt can really knock you for 10. If you've been doing well before hand there's no reason why you shouldn't be In the same position of when you did your last mock.

The whole reason I started this thread was because I felt disappointed in my performance, perhaps I needed a small confidence boost. The point I am trying to make here is that there will always be people in the same boat as you, usually the people who say that the exam was easy are the people who answered the questions wrong. If the general grade boundaries for an A average at around 40, try and reflect on the answers you wrote down, maybe count up the marks or pages you think you got right, it's most common that you vividly remember the bad parts of the exam more than any representative good sections.

As of now I'm preparing for the calculator paper and looking forward to the marks I can achieve in this exam. It's possible to excel in paper 2 and bump up your grades by 2, if not 3 boundaries. The best thing to do is not look back on what's already written, instead look forward on getting what you deserve in the rest of your exams. There's no point on letting a usually excellent performance drag your confidence down on the rest of your education. That said, If you don't quite get the grades you were aiming for there's always multiple ways of getting what you strive for in life. Most of the time colleges understand everybody has slip ups, particularly in exams, often they look into different alternative or if you are really persistent they might take into account grades achieved from other subjects that might give you a footing of entry into a maths A levels.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post, I understand what you're saying. I suppose I just needed time to realise that I'm not the only one who actually took the exam. I just really wanted to get awesome grades to prove to my self that all my hard work actually pays off!
I hope you get the grade you were hoping for and once again thanks you! x
Reply 27
Original post by Hannxhq
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post, I understand what you're saying. I suppose I just needed time to realise that I'm not the only one who actually took the exam. I just really wanted to get awesome grades to prove to my self that all my hard work actually pays off!
I hope you get the grade you were hoping for and once again thanks you! x

Just something else that sprung to mind was the fact that if somebody was to fail GCSE maths this year, they would only need to wait a couple months before the next retake in November. This would mean that the college may postpone your entry into A-Level maths for 8 weeks, given you pass that examination. Anybody who wasn't at all happy with their grades can chose to have a retake in English and maths, of which as far as I know even includes those who passed the first time.

This may seem slightly hypocritical of me to say, but don't count your chickens before they've hatched - you might just get a double yolker :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending