The Student Room Group

National 5 Modern Studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
could someone give me a list of things to study for democracy in the uk. i have no idea where to start
Reply 41
Original post by alx2000
could anyone help me out with why social and economic inequalities exist in USA?

I know about Racial Discriminaton but I need at least two more just incase it's an 8 marker

language barriers
Original post by Ethan100
What questions were in your prelim

Democracy in Scotland: 1.describe the work of the msps 2. Explain the disadvantages and advantages of ams
Crime and law: 1. Ways police try to prevent crime 2. Consequences of crime
Poverty in developing countries: 1. Consequences of the issue 2: possible motivation motaviation of international organization to resolve an issue .
And a conclusion, selective and option questions
Reply 43
Original post by Owod
could someone give me a list of things to study for democracy in the uk. i have no idea where to start

I just went through the course notes on the SQA website, they were pretty helpful.

here's the link : http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/CfE_CourseUnitSupportNotes_N5_SocialStudies_ModernStudies.pdf
Anyone have model papers for Modern studies which they can send?

Thanks in advanced. :wink:
Reply 45
Did any of you who were taught the Democracy in Scotland unit learn about the reasons why we have councils? I did but I'm not sure whether to revise that because its not on the course notes at all on SQA so I'm not sure if it was just an extra bit my school done?
Do you think its even worth revising what questions were in last years sections that I am studying ? For example Scottish courts for Crime and the law
Original post by alx2000
Did any of you who were taught the Democracy in Scotland unit learn about the reasons why we have councils? I did but I'm not sure whether to revise that because its not on the course notes at all on SQA so I'm not sure if it was just an extra bit my school done?

Do you mean services provided by local councils? If so I would recommend you revise it as it has came up in last years past paper and there is a chance it may come again. I was taught about it too but quite briefly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Lewis H01
Do you mean services provided by local councils? If so I would recommend you revise it as it has came on in last years past paper and there is a chance it may come again. I was taught about it too but quite briefly.

It was more reason why we have them, for example: local people can best decide how to spend local money, the needs of people in different areas vary and that there are many services which central government doesn't have to be involved in. Were you taught that?
Original post by alx2000
It was more reason why we have them, for example: local people can best decide how to spend local money, the needs of people in different areas vary and that there are many services which central government doesn't have to be involved in. Were you taught that?

I was taught just about the services eg. Mandatory services and Discretionary Services.

Could you tell me the layout of the option choice (source question)?

Is it 3 for why you choose that option and 1 reason why you didn't choose the other option?
Reply 50
I was taught just about the services eg. Mandatory services and Discretionary Services.

Could you tell me the layout of the option choice (source question)?

Is it 3 for why you choose that option and 1 reason why you didn't choose the other option?

Ah right yeah I was taught that, I think I'm just going to leave out why we have councils because they can only make questions on what everyone has been taught surely.

For Option Choice I would do 3 paragraphs each linking 2 sources then a final paragraph saying: "I could have chosen option two because .... (link to source), but I never because (link to source)".
Original post by alx2000
Ah right yeah I was taught that, I think I'm just going to leave out why we have councils because they can only make questions on what everyone has been taught surely.

For Option Choice I would do 3 paragraphs each linking 2 sources then a final paragraph saying: "I could have chosen option two because .... (link to source), but I never because (link to source)".

Yeah, if they were to ask about the local councils it will most likely be about the services provided by them..

Anyway, how's you revision going? I quite like the K.U questions but need some more practice on source questions especially the selective in the use of facts.
Reply 52
What really annoys me about this exam is the time we are given. It is so rushed, even an extra 15 minutes would help so much! Will never understand how Biology is 2 hrs but Modern Studies is 1hr 45 minutes, I'm always finished Biology with like 30 minutes to spare.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
Yeah, if they were to ask about the local councils it will most likely be about the services provided by them..

Anyway, how's you revision going? I quite like the K.U questions but need some more practice on source questions especially the selective in the use of facts.

Well I have already left myself at a disadvantage as I have only given myself 2 days to revise, haha.

It's the KU questions I struggle with. That's all I lost marks on in my prelim, got all the source questions right so i've not done one since (probably a bad idea).
Original post by alx2000
What really annoys me about this exam is the time we are given. It is so rushed, even an extra 15 minutes would help so much! Will never understand how Biology is 2 hrs but Modern Studies is 1hr 45 minutes, I'm always finished Biology with like 30 minutes to spare.

Yeah same I also find timing an issue with modern studies. I would love if they could give us 2 hours for this exam.

Original post by alx2000
Well I have already left myself at a disadvantage as I have only given myself 2 days to revise, haha.

It's the KU questions I struggle with. That's all I lost marks on in my prelim, got all the source questions right so i've not done one since (probably a bad idea).

Just work through past papers that's what I'm doing at the moment it's the best (for me anyway) lol :biggrin:
What are causes of crimes ?!??

MODERN STUDIES PRELIM WAS SOO RUSHED NOT MUCH TIME IS GIVEN :frown:
Reply 56
Yeah same I also find timing an issue with modern studies. I would love if they could give us 2 hours for this exam.

Just work through past papers that's what I'm doing at the moment it's the best (for me anyway) lol :biggrin:

Yeah i'll do that! Here's hoping I know what I'm doing on Monday, scared...
Reply 57
Original post by Ethan100
What are causes of crimes ?!??

MODERN STUDIES PRELIM WAS SOO RUSHED NOT MUCH TIME IS GIVEN :frown:

Blue collar - (housebreaking, vandalism, shoplifting, assault)
White collar - (fraud, insider trading, bribery)

or there are the categories is that's what you mean:

Property Crime - (shoplifting, burglary, vandalism to property)
Violent Crime - (assault, threats, sexual assault/rape, murder, mugging, domestic abuse)
Public Order Crime - (anti-social behaviour, peeing in public)
Road Traffic Crime - (speeding, parking on double yellows, driving with no MOT/tax)

oops I read your question wrong, haha.

What I would always say for those questions is:
Lack of a positive role model
Peer Pressure
Unemployement
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alx2000
Yeah i'll do that! Here's hoping I know what I'm doing on Monday, scared...

Don't be scared, just look at previous past papers and they will give you rough ideas on the sort of KU questions that will come up. I'm going to bring the paper home and try make an answers scheme. :smile:
Reply 59
Don't be scared, just look at previous past papers and they will give you rough ideas on the sort of KU questions that will come up. I'm going to bring the paper home and try make an answers scheme.

Will this be your last exam? Its mine, I cant wait till I no longer have to spend days on end revising, its so boring!

Quick Reply

Latest