The Student Room Group

why do people think this about veganism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fannehh
restrictive? seriously?? you obviously haven't done any research on the topic and so you shouldn't be making those assumptions!
Also, the World Health Organisation has now classed processed meats including ham, sausages and lamb as carcinogenic, but sure feeding your children vegetables, fruit and beans is not a 'fair way' to bring up your children!

1. How do you know I haven't done any research?
2. How on earth can you say a vegan diet isn't restrictive?
3. Since when were all meats processed?
4. Omnivorous diet =/= carnivorous diet.

Anything in excess is carcinogenic, leaving a mobile phone in your pocket is "carcinogenic"- the fact remains that finding food free of animal byproducts is extremely difficult and expensive.
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
Do you respect the cows right to live?

Can you give us some facts on why you should eat meat?

hahahaha my point exactly- yet another vegan yet another a$$

why should I justify my choices to make you feel better about yours? can you give me some facts on that?
Original post by Justmoll28
that veganism is 'hard' or 'too expensive' or 'too time consuming'

it baffles me..i want to know why people think this?

Some fruit and veg are very expensive. Tesco costs for a kg of Carrots £1.43, a kg of Asparagus £16.

Lots of restaurants don't do vegan options, they might do vegetarian and could upon request convert to vegan but not all.
Reply 63
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
1. How do you know I haven't done any research?
2. How on earth can you say a vegan diet isn't restrictive?
3. Since when were all meats processed?
4. Omnivorous diet =/= carnivorous diet.

Anything in excess is carcinogenic, leaving a mobile phone in your pocket is "carcinogenic"- the fact remains that finding food free of animal byproducts is extremely difficult and expensive.

1. because of the fact that you think vegan diets are 'restrictive'. IF done right, people eat a much more varied diet once they go vegan because they end up cooking their own meals and include lots of fruit/veg/lentils e.t.c that they didn't have before. Look at 'What I eat in a day' videos on YT. How the hell is cutting out animal products restrictive???? You don't need ANY animal products to be healthy (with the exception of B12 but a lot of people (approx 40% in US) are B12 deficient including non-vegans & also animal products contain B12 because the animals have been given supplements.) I never said all animals are processed, but here are also studies showing that non-processed meats are linked with many diseases- check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t4tBmbPko8

No, 'anything' in excess isn't carcinogenic, no one is going to get cancer from eating too many apples & Yes it might be difficult if you have grown up with it but quitting smoking is also very difficult but should people also not try to do that because it's difficult? But it's definitely not more expensive if done right (you don't need to buy fancy vegan foods).

But honestly, your health is your own business- eat what you like, I just don't like it when parents feed their children McDonalds, KFC e.t.c and ruin their health from a young age.
Original post by lehcarbat
Vegetables, soya milk, tofu, beans, nuts and plenty of other vegan foods are all rich in protein

not to mention the fungus and chemicals grown in a reactor

or the vast areas of deforested land used to grow soy which is then industrially processed into textured vegetable protein ...
Original post by fannehh
1. because of the fact that you think vegan diets are 'restrictive'. IF done right, people eat a much more varied diet once they go vegan because they end up cooking their own meals and include lots of fruit/veg/lentils e.t.c that they didn't have before. Look at 'What I eat in a day' videos on YT. How the hell is cutting out animal products restrictive???? You don't need ANY animal products to be healthy (with the exception of B12 but a lot of people (approx 40% in US) are B12 deficient including non-vegans & also animal products contain B12 because the animals have been given supplements.) I never said all animals are processed, but here are also studies showing that non-processed meats are linked with many diseases- check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t4tBmbPko8

No, 'anything' in excess isn't carcinogenic, no one is going to get cancer from eating too many apples & Yes it might be difficult if you have grown up with it but quitting smoking is also very difficult but should people also not try to do that because it's difficult? But it's definitely not more expensive if done right (you don't need to buy fancy vegan foods).

But honestly, your health is your own business- eat what you like, I just don't like it when parents feed their children McDonalds, KFC e.t.c and ruin their health from a young age.

Why would early humans have bothered using energy and risking their lives to hunt animals if it wasn't beneficial to their health? In a modern context though, who exactly has the time to spend all day looking for the ingredients and making up every single meal from scratch? My family certainly doesn't, and I don't know of anyone with a normal lifestyle who does. I have looked at those blogs/ videos before, and all can say is, if they want to follow that diet, fine, but personally I don't want to and don't plan to because I see no definitive reason why I should. A high number of things I eat or use in a day have some kind of animal byproduct- I don't have the time or money to switch all of them when I have more important things to think about on a daily basis.
Reply 66
Because from childhood we are convinced that humans need meat and animal products to survive. As someone who really wants to be a vegan when they are older (my mum won't let me so i have to eat meat at the moment) I get to see things from both perspectives. I understand being vegan isn't for everyone, but the health and environmental benefits are incredible! Unfortunately, it isn't meat eaters faults, but we are made fully convinced that we totally require meat, yes we used to, yes we can digest it, yes meat probably won't cause major harm to us as long as it's eaten in proportion, BUT it also will not hurt us if we stop eating meat and animal products, it will better our health, save animals, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions as much as 16 % (which doesn't sound much but it is a huge amount) However, this argument is kind of like convincing someone who has been told that red is actually blue from birth,that it is actually red( if that makes any sense). Eating meat and animal product is so natural for us and we feel so normal doing it because we have just been told that its normal from birth. no one really questions it. If from the start we are told we have a choice and we don't have to eat animals and we can still be healthy, there would be many more vegan in the world and peoples attitudes towards vegans would be different.
Original post by o.0
Because from childhood we are convinced that humans need meat and animal products to survive. As someone who really wants to be a vegan when they are older (my mum won't let me so i have to eat meat at the moment) I get to see things from both perspectives. I understand being vegan isn't for everyone, but the health and environmental benefits are incredible! Unfortunately, it isn't meat eaters faults, but we are made fully convinced that we totally require meat, yes we used to, yes we can digest it, yes meat probably won't cause major harm to us as long as it's eaten in proportion, BUT it also will not hurt us if we stop eating meat and animal products, it will better our health, save animals, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions as much as 16 % (which doesn't sound much but it is a huge amount) However, this argument is kind of like convincing someone who has been told that red is actually blue from birth,that it is actually red( if that makes any sense). Eating meat and animal product is so natural for us and we feel so normal doing it because we have just been told that its normal from birth. no one really questions it. If from the start we are told we have a choice and we don't have to eat animals and we can still be healthy, there would be many more vegan in the world and peoples attitudes towards vegans would be different.

Agreed.
Reply 68
that veganism is 'hard' or 'too expensive' or 'too time consuming'

it baffles me..i want to know why people think this?

I'm vegan, and I can understand why people might believe that veganism is somewhat difficult. There are many food products out there with dairy in, for example, so phasing them out can be quite difficult.

Nevertheless, it's never been easier to go vegan: we've seen veganism rise by more than 350% in the past 10 years in the UK; there are now over half a million. When places like Zizzi's, Wetherspoons, Pret a Manger and others are now offering vegan options and vegan menus, eating out is much easier these days.

On top of this, Quorn now have a vegan range, so eating at home is even easier now.

Original post by Kittyboy
Vegan.. were you joking?

I can understand vegetarians, but vegans are just weirdos tbh.

You do realise that the logic that causes people to become vegetarian should also lead people to become vegan? In terms of animal welfare, the dairy and egg industries are still associated with the confinement, transport and slaughter of nonhuman animals. In terms of global warming, vegans have lower greenhouse gas emissions associated with their diets than vegetarians (and of course meat-eaters).

So, it's just a further step forward - there's nothing weird about it.

Illogical argument, based on a blatant false dichotomy. All these domesticated animals we raise for meat aren't going to be released into the wild - they will simply stop being bred.

You're also focusing on the killing part, ignoring the fact that most of the meat sold in the UK, the West and indeed the world comes from factory farms in which the animals are kept in horrific conditions. So-called 'humane' farms have continuously been exposed as being just as bad.

The notion that animals are stunned and killed instantly is also incorrect. Numerous studies have found that between 10-40% of stuns go wrong, equating to millions upon millions of animals dying in intense pain every single year. Random investigations of slaughterhouses have corroborated this, and some of the so-called humane methods, such as gassing, are anything but humane: when pigs are gassed, they're seen gasping for breath and trying to get out of the chamber for up to 20 seconds, putting them in a lot of distress.

It is certainly possible to get the protein you need on a vegan diet. Your information is also false. Plant proteins do not "lack" methionine and lysine; these amino acids are merely present in much smaller amounts in plant foods, generally.

However, soy foods (tofu, tempeh, etc) and drinks, seitan, legumes (lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, etc), quinoa, and so on all contain a significant amount of lysine. Furthermore, Quorn's vegan products are extremely high in protein and lysine in particular.

I can comfortably get the protein I need every day.

Overall, as the American Dietetic Association has stated:

Plant protein can meet requirements when a variety of plant foods is consumed and energy needs are met. Research indicates that an assortment of plant foods eaten over the course of a day can provide all essential amino acids and ensure adequate nitrogen retention and use in healthy adults

Studies of vegans and meat-eaters haven't consistently found that vegans are lower in iron than meat-eaters. Iron is present in lots of plant-based foods and absorption can be further increased by having something high in Vitamin C, such as orange juice, with the iron-containing food. It's very easy to get iron on a vegan diet.

You can get zinc from plant-based foods, however, and if you're really desperate, you can take it as a supplement.

Wrong again. You're not doing very well, are you? As this study found: "there is no evidence of adverse effects on health or cognitive function with lower DHA intake in vegetarians."

On top of this, there is vegan DHA (made from algae) available.

Nope. As the American Dietetic Association has stated:

...appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.

Already addressed your DHA nonsense.

What's especially worrying is that you've written a complete load of nonsense and at least 8 people have fallen for it.

Original post by Mimsycrafts
I think if people want to be vegan that's their choice but I've never met a vegan who isn't a complete a$$. there is a real need for them to impose their views on everyone. I've looked at the facts I'm not unintelligent but I've chosen my way to live and expect it to be equally respected

Freedom of choice ought not to extend to knowingly choosing to inflict unnecessary suffering on any sentient being, human or nonhuman. We wouldn't respect people's freedom of choice if they chose to, say, keep human infants or severely intellectually disabled humans in the conditions in which we keep nonhuman animals reared for meat, despite the fact that both groups of humans are demonstrably less intelligent than nonhuman animals (pigs, for instance, can outperform three-year-olds at video games).

Of course we would object to that "choice", because suffering is suffering, no matter who experiences it: a human infant; a severely intellectually disabled human; a normal adult human; or indeed a pig, cow, chicken or dog.

And, I'm not trying to be a "complete a$$", but you've posted in this thread so I've replied to you. I hope I haven't committed a microaggression against you for putting forward an argument as to why you should, perhaps, reconsider your position. In person, I wouldn't bring veganism up unless the meat-eater brings it up. But, this is an open thread where views should be challenged.
(edited 7 years ago)
... No it isn't.

Find me supermarket food that is greater in price than a crown turkey or gammon.
Find me supermarket food that is greater in price than a crown turkey or gammon.

Who eats those on a daily basis?
hahahaha my point exactly- yet another vegan yet another a$$

why should I justify my choices to make you feel better about yours? can you give me some facts on that?

Why am I an as$ for asking do you respect cows?

Don't answer my question with a question. It's not about who's the better human, don't be so pathetic.
Who eats those on a daily basis?

That's besides the point anyway. You're making poor excuses. People have already demonstrated how vegan food is inexpensive.
Why would early humans have bothered using energy and risking their lives to hunt animals if it wasn't beneficial to their health? In a modern context though, who exactly has the time to spend all day looking for the ingredients and making up every single meal from scratch? My family certainly doesn't, and I don't know of anyone with a normal lifestyle who does. I have looked at those blogs/ videos before, and all can say is, if they want to follow that diet, fine, but personally I don't want to and don't plan to because I see no definitive reason why I should. A high number of things I eat or use in a day have some kind of animal byproduct- I don't have the time or money to switch all of them when I have more important things to think about on a daily basis.

It's not about going straight vegan. Going vegetarian is no more hassle than eating meat
That's besides the point anyway. You're making poor excuses. People have already demonstrated how vegan food is inexpensive.

Well, I disagree, and I also think my point is perfectly valid. All of the points I've made are. If you don't want to see that, then that's your choice. You eat what you want, just don't try forcing it on me or other people.
theres literally an alternative to every dairy product though haha :smile:

Having had to cut out dairy at one point in my life due to illness I can categorically state that the alternatives are absolute ass in 99% of cases.

Original post by zippyRN

veganism is closely associated with terrorism

lmao what
Why am I an as$ for asking do you respect cows?

Don't answer my question with a question. It's not about who's the better human, don't be so pathetic.

Your the pathetic one attacking people with questions just because they don't agree with your vegan views.
Well, I disagree, and I also think my point is perfectly valid. All of the points I've made are. If you don't want to see that, then that's your choice. You eat what you want, just don't try forcing it on me or other people.

See it's fine to disagree without resulting to name calling.

About the price part other people have stated all the types of foods you can eat.

But it really isn't as simple to say to vegans to stop pestering others, when you force your opinion on the animals
Original post by fannehh
restrictive? seriously??

If a dietary choice restricts eating certain foods that would make it restrictive by definition.
attacking people with questions

Well I've heard it all now..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending