The Student Room Group

Results day 2016

I know that there is time to go, but how do you deal with results day? I'm already worried about what grades I got in the exams that I sat! I seriously will be worrying over the summer rather than enjoying it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
[video="youtube;Prg4bxe_yhg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prg4bxe_yhg&nohtml5=False[/video]

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by zXcodeXz
I know that there is time to go, but how do you deal with results day? I'm already worried about what grades I got in the exams that I sat! I seriously will be worrying over the summer rather than enjoying it.

don't make your friends pressure you into opening it with them.

I'm worried too! I'm defo not opening them with my friends, I might go to the toilet or somewhere more private because it could be awkward if I don't get what I want/what's expected.. :s-smilie:
Original post by ECWC
don't make your friends pressure you into opening it with them.

Ok, lol I was thinking that aswell I don't really want to show them in future reference
Original post by romansholiday
I'm worried too! I'm defo not opening them with my friends, I might go to the toilet or somewhere more private because it could be awkward if I don't get what I want/what's expected.. :s-smilie:

Yeah this is the first thing that came into mind, because my requirements for sixth form are not really hard I just need 6A*-C and 3B's in core and additional science and maths
Reply 6
Original post by animeamanda1412
[video="youtube;Prg4bxe_yhg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prg4bxe_yhg&nohtml5=False[/video]

Spoiler

lol - I guess you're a big kpop/anime fan. Dw I'm an anime fan too :smile:
I'm getting mine via email so I don't have to see those annoying pricks lmao
Im getting mine via post, text, and email . I normally cant sleep the night before because I'm so restless and anxious haha. Im glad i dont need to open them with friends - you dont need to do that if you dont want to :smile:
Reply 9
go to heathrow airport
open it there
AAA? go home
UUU? buy a ticket to north korea and never come back

there is no inbetween
Original post by kiiten
lol - I guess you're a big kpop/anime fan. Dw I'm an anime fan too :smile:

im a hardcore anime and kpop fan xD
i used to try preaching anime, but now that kpop exists in my life, i guess that's probably priority
but anime is still bae
Original post by z33
go to heathrow airport
open it there
AAA? go home
UUU? buy a ticket to north korea and never come back

there is no inbetween

:rofl:
I've got my main cohorts of GCSEs this year, but I had to go back to school for 1 early AS result and 3 early GCSE results last year.

The week before the first set (the AS result), I was really nervous and not eating and stressing that I'd have got a B and that my Modern Foreign Languages department was right and that I shouldn't have taken AS French early and that it had all gone horribly wrong - so I asked a friend to come with me for support. It eventually transpired that I got a theoretical A*, but it helped to have that one friend there for support on the actual results day. We went Nando's and Boris-biking in Battersea Park afterwards, which are - of course - always, unequivocally delightful afternoon activities, be they taking place on Results Day or on any other day of the year :smile:

For the GCSE results, I was much less nervous given the success of the AS result. I met up again with friends and opened my results in front of my teachers. I was hoping to do it privately, but in hindsight, I was quite happy to be forced to open it in front of teachers: I'd got what I'd got and I'd have to face up to it publicly sooner or later, so it didn't matter who knew first or when exactly they did so. I let my friend open my AS result (so he knew my grade before I did) for similar reasons. It's not healthy, in my view, to place more importance on the results than they're due (given that your CV probably won't even declare them in one or two decades' time), so opening the results in front of friends or teachers is probably a better idea than wanting to hide and block the world out for the day.

So, based on my experience of last year, here's my advice (which I'll be taking when I open my own main-cohort GCSE results later this year):

1. Bring friends/ask friends to come if you think it would help.

2. Face up to the realisation that your grades are your grades - and don't be afraid to open them in front of whomever. What causes stress, anxiety and worry is when you place too much importance on something than said something is actually worth - and in the grand scheme of your life, your results won't matter too much. By wanting to open your results privately or mark the moment specially, you're only placing more importance on those results than they're due - so don't worry about where you open your results or how. Getting someone to open your results for you, or opening them in front of friends and/or teachers, might help this.

3. Please don't compare UMS scores. It's really annoying because it's (a) arrogant and (b) irrelevant, seeing as a difference of x points might be down to inaccuracies or differences in marking anyway (which is coincidentally why few universities ask for A*A*A* at A-levels - they know that the exam boards can mark wrongly sometimes). It's actually very annoying and demeaning to compare UMS scores - at least a few of us left Results Day last year with furious expressions following some distasteful comments.

4. Go Nando's and some park somewhere with your friends afterwards and laugh it off :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by surina16
I'm getting mine via email so I don't have to see those annoying pricks lmao

Haha lol!! That's so true, how come you get it by email?
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Im getting mine via post, text, and email . I normally cant sleep the night before because I'm so restless and anxious haha. Im glad i dont need to open them with friends - you dont need to do that if you dont want to :smile:

How come your getting yours by email?
Haha lol!! That's so true, how come you get it by email?

Idk lol it's just the way our school's doing it this year I guess :biggrin:
Original post by Southwestern
I've got my main cohorts of GCSEs this year, but I had to go back to school for 1 early AS result and 3 early GCSE results last year.

The week before the first set (the AS result), I was really nervous and not eating and stressing that I'd have got a B and that my Modern Foreign Languages department was right and that I shouldn't have taken AS French early and that it had all gone horribly wrong - so I asked a friend to come with me for support. It eventually transpired that I got a theoretical A*, but it helped to have that one friend there for support on the actual results day. We went Nando's and Boris-biking in Battersea Park afterwards, which are - of course - always, unequivocally delightful afternoon activities, be they taking place on results day or on any other day of the year :smile:

For the GCSE results, I was much less nervous given the success of the AS result. I met up again with friends and opened my results in front of my teachers. I was hoping to do it privately, but in hindsight, I was quite happy to be forced to open it in front of teachers: I'd got what I'd got and I'd have to face up to it publicly sooner or later, so it didn't matter who knew first or when exactly they did so. I let my friend open my AS result (so he knew my grade before I did) for similar reasons. It's not healthy, in my view, to place more importance on the results than they're due (given that your CV probably won't even declare them in one or two decades' time), so opening the results in front of friends or teachers is probably a better idea than wanting to hide and block the world out for the day.

So, based on my experience of last year, here's my advice (which I'll be taking when I open my own main-cohort GCSE results later this year):

1. Bring friends/ask friends to come if you think it would help.

2. Face up to the realisation that your grades are your grades - and don't be afraid to open them in front of whomever. What causes stress, anxiety and worry is when you place too much importance on something than said something is actually worth - and in the grand scheme of your life, your results won't matter too much. By wanting to open your results privately or mark the moment specially, you're only placing more importance on those results than they're due - so don't worry about where you open your results or how. Getting someone to open your results for you, or opening them in front of friends and/or teachers, might help this.

3. Please don't compare UMS scores. It's really annoying because it's (a) arrogant and (b) irrelevant, seeing as a difference of x points might be down to inaccuracies or differences in marking anyway (which is coincidentally why few universities ask for A*A*A* at A-levels - they know that the exam boards can mark wrongly sometimes). It's actually very annoying and demeaning to compare UMS scores - at least a few of us left Results Day last year with furious expressions following some distasteful comments.

4. Go Nando's and some park somewhere with your friends afterwards and laugh it off :smile:

Alright thanks so much for the help!! :smile:

Isn't there something that I could say to my school so that they would send it by email instead?
Reply 18

Lucky, I don't wan't people to see what I get
Original post by romansholiday

Same! I'm going to avoid my friends and everybody else- but I know everyone will be like "What did you get?"
Best of luck!x

Quick Reply

Latest