The Student Room Group

College VS school?

Hi I am starting college in September and I am really excited!!!
How different is college to school?
Do the teachers treat you differently?
Do you have more freedom?
How hard are A-levels compared to GCSE'S?
What do people wear?

Thanks everyone!
Reply 1
very
yes - better
yes
not sure
casual clothing
Original post by shawtyb
very
yes - better
yes
not sure
casual clothing

Thanks!
Original post by sunshine774
Hi I am starting college in September and I am really excited!!!
How different is college to school?
Do the teachers treat you differently?
Do you have more freedom?
How hard are A-levels compared to GCSE'S?
What do people wear?

Thanks everyone!

College isn't too dissimilar from school, the only major differences really are that you have fewer subjects to study and more free time. The teachers treat you more like young adults, they tend not to shout as much and are able to control classes better. Yeah you have more freedom, often you can choose to stay in college or go elsewhere during your free periods. I found the jump between AS Levels and A2 Levels bigger than GCSE and AS, AS was quite similar to GCSE but A2 did get noticeably more difficult. People tend to wear casual clothing, I usually wore hoodies and jeans, sometimes t-shirts if it was hot :smile:
Reply 4
its not much different to school, except more free lessons, more independence. also more responsibility for your work.
teacher's act the same... mainly.. i think they care less about you individually though.
lots more free lessons, don't really follow you up on attendance, punctuality (in my school)
AS levels aren't much harder, just ALOT more content. if you're taking 4 a levels, you may have some breakdowns in the year as i did :colondollar:
i wear anything literally. some people come in their pyjamas and nobody cares.

Quick Reply