The Student Room Group

Taking the supposedly 4 hardest A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

You'll have a lot of understanding content, but not much writing to do relatively...
Reply 21
Original post by Mathemagicien
I took Edexcel AS level maths, further maths, and AQA physics and chemistry last year
(and so you know I'm reasonably qualified to talk about them, I got 100%, 98%, 100%, 91% respectively)
Although note that I find understanding easier than memorisation, so my answer may be different to others. And the spec has changed for Physics and Chemistry this year too.

A-level maths and physics just require you to understand concepts. Maths by far the most generous to people who 'get it' - if you have a correct solution with working, you'll almost always get all the marks, even if its different to how they wanted you to do it. In fact, a lot of my revision for maths was more 'fun' maths, like AEA, MAT and STEP papers, instead of Edexcel past papers, because I enjoyed them more.

As for physics and chemistry, the way I revised was to look at past mark schemes. The precise wording of answers, not only understanding, is important for getting marks.

Physics is really easy. Lots of marks for plugging in numbers into formulae (that they give you)! However, you need to write essay questions (6 mark-ers) and answers in word form, which I found more challenging, and these often need to be precisely worded.

Chemistry was much more demanding. I dropped Chemistry, as did most people (almost everyone lol) in my year. They don't give you the formulae to use, they expect you to remember so many chemical reactions,... looking back on it though, I miss it somewhat, but at the time I hated it.

As for free time - I had loads of it (which I spent on maths for fun. Yeah I'm weird). As did everyone else who took the same combination as me.

I also find understanding concepts much easier than pure memorisation, so I may drop biology after the first year, I'll see how it goes. I'm just glad that all my time will not be consumed by masses of revision.
Original post by Samii123
Thanks! I think maths and physics naturally come to me. I believe that biology is the one that will consume all my time. I was planning on starting revision from September anyway so it is a relief to hear that I wont have to spend masses amount of time on these subjects everyday.

Ah, in that case I'm sure you'll really enjoy your choices. Yes, Biology does require a lot of effort just bc I feel like there's so much to learn but you can do it! - you sound determined. Yeah, I'm not sure why people have this idea that you won't be able to do anything that constitutes as "fun" if you take these A-levels. If you go about it the right way you'll have lots of free time, dw. - I certainly did. :smile:.

Just one last thing, I forgot to say that you should also be organised! It's so, so important. Make sure you have those file dividers and split up every topic with a divider. And every unit with a different coloured divider- it'll honestly make your revision so much easier come March + you'll just thank yourself for it. - Much more than you realise. You don't want it to get to exam season and you're spending all your time trying to sort out your folders rather than revising, you know?

+ you're welcome. <3

I've basically realised I'm just saying everything I wish I did. -.-
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
not so much at AS but the step up from AS to A2 is very intense and its good to have an 'easy' A level (if there is one) so that you can manage your work load better.
Reply 24
Original post by Chembio123
I do chemistry biology and English and did a 4th AS in economics. My advice is DO NOT take chemistry if you really really don't need it, like unless you wanna do medicine dentistry or a chemistry degree.. Lol. It is verrrry content heavy and a lot of understanding, interpreting, concentration and application is required. Chemistry is mostly application but you MUST understand it or application would be impossible imo. With biology there's a lot more memorising than chemistry like essays and sample answers and stuff but there's still loads of application required and no matter how many past papers you do there will always be at least 2 questions in your exam you've prob never seen before that will trick you and require you to think logically, but sometimes these questions are harder than the actual biology 😳

Well so far I have had a lot variety in response to how difficult chemistry is. I guess it depends on the person. I understand and apply better than I memorise so hopefully I will be fine for chemistry.
you're delusional mate, half of those are fairly easy alevels
Depends entirely on what you are good at... if you are good at those.. you will be fine.. if you are better at humanities.. yeah it will probably be tough, and vice-versa... there are MILLIONS of students doing exactly the same as you.. it's not a huge issue.. A-levels are a levels..
Further maths is harder than Biology tbh but maths should be fine tbh :smile: Thee are difficult & you will have to spend time on revising then!
Reply 28
Original post by Anon_98
Ah, in that case I'm sure you'll really enjoy your choices. Yes, Biology does require a lot of effort just bc I feel like there's so much to learn but you can do it! - you sound determined. Yeah, I'm not sure why people have this idea that you won't be able to do anything that constitutes as "fun" if you take these A-levels. If you go about it the right way you'll have lots of free time, dw. - I certainly did. :smile:.

Just one last thing, I forgot to say that you should also be organised! It's so, so important. Make sure you have those file dividers and split up every topic with a divider. And every unit with a different coloured divider- it'll honestly make your revision so much easier come March + you'll just thank yourself for it. - Much more than you realise. You don't want it to get to exam season and you're spending all your time trying to sort out your folders rather than revising, you know?

+ you're welcome. <3

I've basically realised I'm just saying everything I wish I did. -.-

I'm sure it all worked out in the end! Currently I'm not very organised considering I literally dump my revision notes on a pile by the window sill so i'll definitely try to be more orderly. Also if you don't mind me asking, what did you get for those subjects at GCSE?
Reply 29
You shouldn't believe what anyone says. People say maths is the hardest A-level. Really? I don't think so.
Reply 30
You might enjoy further maths then :tongue:

It overlaps a lot with normal maths for revision purposes (revision for FM is also revision for maths), and even some later physics modules.

Unless its too late to change your mind?

I'm kinda intent on doing the subjects I've chosen now. I've never really thought about doing maths past college and I am more towards the sciences if I'm honest.
There is a thread on what A levels people are taking and which they find the easiest. As pointed out above @#30 it depends what you are good at, but there was some consistency as to which sibjects were mentioned as being the easiest and which the hardest.
I'm sure it all worked out in the end! Currently I'm not very organised considering I literally dump my revision notes on a pile by the window sill so i'll definitely try to be more orderly. Also if you don't mind me asking, what did you get for those subjects at GCSE?

Ah well, yes, definitely try + change that. Organisation is key.

Oh hm, that's alright, dw. I got A's.- Could've been better but meh. I'm sure you'll do a lot better than me though. :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by newblood
you're delusional mate, half of those are fairly easy alevels

Hey, don't call me delusional, I'm only saying what most people have told me which is why i said "supposedly". Many people probably find these subjects more difficult than you so perhaps it is not fair to call them easy.
Reply 34
Even so, AS further maths may help you more than AS biology, unless you want to go into the biosciences.

Hmm, I'll give it some thought. Originally I thought about pursuing a career in medicine which is why I chose biology. Now I'm not so keen on it and i reckoned that these A Levels including biology could still open a variety of doors for me in science but Now that i think about it further maths could be an exciting prospect over biology and enjoy maths more than biology anyway.
Hmm, I'll give it some thought. Originally I thought about pursuing a career in medicine which is why I chose biology. Now I'm not so keen on it and i reckoned that these A Levels including biology could still open a variety of doors for me in science but Now that i think about it further maths could be an exciting prospect over biology and enjoy maths more than biology anyway.

Not all med schools require Biology anyway so even if you chose further maths + decided that you wanted to do Medicine, then there's plenty of places you could still apply to. It's Chemistry that's essential. :smile:
Drama, creative writing, general studies and media studies?
biology isn't really seen as that difficult. i think further maths is seen as harder, so maths, further maths, physics and chemistry are probably the combo seen as hardest.
Reply 38
Original post by Anon_98
Not all med schools require Biology anyway so even if you chose further maths + decided that you wanted to do Medicine, then there's plenty of places you could still apply to. It's Chemistry that's essential. :smile:

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks for that information, that is very useful! :biggrin:
Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks for that information, that is very useful! :biggrin:

Most welcome!

Quick Reply

Latest