Original post by rebirth61213
What does the 'x = 2 sinx' refer to?

you have to sub x into the equation as 2sinx
Original post by 619-booyaka
can someone help me with this question?

∫( 4 x^2)^0.5 dx

x = 2 sinx

limits are 1 and 0

Do it like any other substitution. Do not forget the limits.
(2sinx)^2 = 4*(sinx)^2

(sinx)^2 = 1 - (cosx)^2

Sub that in (I'll leave the rest to you; you should end up with a simple function to integrate).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ODES_PDES
Do it like any other substitution. Do not forget the limits.

I don't think he/she meant that this is a 'u-substitution method' question. (why would one want to sub in 2sinx?) I think he/she meant that the x in the above expression is 2sinx and avoided putting that in the top expression in order to maintain clarity (I think).
I don't think he/she meant that this is a 'u-substitution method' question. (why would one want to sub in 2sinx?) I think he/she meant that the x in the above expression is 2sinx and avoided putting that in the top expression in order to maintain clarity (I think).

Take over as I am rusty:tongue:
Original post by 619-booyaka
can someone help me with this question?

∫( 4 x^2)^0.5 dx

x = 2 sinx

limits are 1 and 0

Maths professors at uni would be ripping their hair out at the line x=2sinx, even if it's just to make representing things easier - there are 25 other letters to choose from! But really, it doesn't matter at this stage :tongue:
arcsin(x/2)=x

∫( 4 arcsin(x/2)^2)^0.5 dx

there I solved it.

Quick Reply

Latest