The Student Room Group

Taking the supposedly 4 hardest A-Levels

In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maths and biology are easy in my opinion
maths is easy once you understand it and the exam questions a virtually similar every year
chemistry is not that bad, at first you have to get your head round it but honestly with a bit of practice and always doing exam questions its okay
biology is easy, just a LOT of content to know, most of it is just memorising, but you do have to understand it all to apply it to the exam.
If you keep on top of things and constantly go over new things you learn in lessons, you should be fine
hope this helped :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Hannah003
maths is easy once you understand it and the exam questions a virtually similar every year
chemistry is not that bad, at first you have to get your head round it but honestly with a bit of practice and always doing exam questions its okay
biology is easy, just a LOT of content to know, most of it is just memorising, but you do have to understand it all to apply it to the exam.
If you keep on top of things and constantly go over new things you learn in lessons, you should be fine
hope this helped :smile:

Thank you, that has given me some reassurance. I'm want to achieve AAAA*. Do you think that this is reasonable and achievable. Also what do you think of the difficulty of A level physics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samii123
In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?

at least you're not taking english lit lol
english is worse than bio, chem and maths

Good luck with your subjects! you'll be fineee :bigsmile:
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm doing exactly the same ones next year(hopefully) to be honest wait until September to get the experience then you will find out personally wether if you think these subjects will be hard or not
I'd say AFM/MFL/English lit is up there too but :dontknow:

I studied Maths, Physics, Chemistry as well as self teaching AS and A2 Further Maths in Year 13. While it was time consuming and stressful at times it was still possible to do what I wanted.

The real question is: do you need to be doing all 4?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7

I think you just need to be doing work throughout the year. Do half an hour a day. You'll be fine as long as you attend all your lessons, do your homework etc. I don't even think extra reading in every second of your free time is requried tbh. Of course you can have a social life. If you just keep on top of your class work then you'll manage fine. Don't be silly about anything. If you don't understand something, address it until you understand. Make sure you do this for everything + anything you don't understand. Talk to your teachers, they are there to help you. Don't leave it till the week before your exams.

Hm.

Well, Chemistry is by far the easiest. No memorisation is really required, it's more about understanding concepts and once you do- it feels pretty simple. I thought it was my easiest A-level by a long way.

Maths just requires practice. Practice whenever you can + you'll find it manageable.

Biology is horrible. Too much memorisation. Too much application. Ew.

Physics is also horrible. Double ew.

I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you keep on top of things. That is the most important thing. Obviously you might prefer Biology over Maths + whatnot but that's just how I found it. Try not to get wrapped up in what everyone says about your subject choices bc otherwise you'll go in with a mind set that it'll be difficult before you even begin and that might subconsciously hinder your progress, if that makes sense. Anyway, good luck!
Reply 8

SAME except that I'm taking 3 A levels without Biology!

I heard same
yay! In the exact same boat as you mate! :five:
Doing AS Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology here. It's really not that bad. Physics is very nice at A level once you conquer deeper understanding; biology is largely easy but content heavy; chemistry conceptually a jump from GCSE at first, then fine over time; maths understanding and practice - goodluck!
Reply 11
Original post by surina16
I'm almost going to be taking the same as you:
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology (and an EPQ :colonhash:)

Shitting myself because I've heard the same - apparently Chemistry is a killer :redface:

I do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and Biology

Maths and FM are fine. Just practice and you know what to do.
Chemistry has got lots of calculations in it but is also fine. Easier than biology

Biology is the worst. Just too much content. I remember skimming through my condensed notes took over 2 hours.

Chemistry is good because you apply knowledge, which to me is more rewarding.
I do chemistry biology and English and did a 4th AS in economics. My advice is DO NOT take chemistry if you really really don't need it, like unless you wanna do medicine dentistry or a chemistry degree.. Lol. It is verrrry content heavy and a lot of understanding, interpreting, concentration and application is required. Chemistry is mostly application but you MUST understand it or application would be impossible imo. With biology there's a lot more memorising than chemistry like essays and sample answers and stuff but there's still loads of application required and no matter how many past papers you do there will always be at least 2 questions in your exam you've prob never seen before that will trick you and require you to think logically, but sometimes these questions are harder than the actual biology 😳
Maths and biology aren't really known for being hard subjects at A-Level. Chemistry definitely is.
I'm doing them and tbh its not as bad as I thought. Just make sure you fully understand the content/concepts as your learning them and you'll be fine. One thing I wish id done is start revising a bit earlier. If you want 4As then start at around Jan for like 1-2 hrs a day, then begin past papers in March and do all of them, especially Maths. But if your decently intelligent and hardworking there's nothing in the subjects which are too difficult. Good Luck
doing the exact same but switch physics with french
my friends have told me im ruining my life
Reply 16
Original post by Anon_98
I think you just need to be doing work throughout the year. Do half an hour a day. You'll be fine as long as you attend all your lessons, do your homework etc. I don't even think extra reading in every second of your free time is requried tbh. Of course you can have a social life. If you just keep on top of your class work then you'll manage fine. Don't be silly about anything. If you don't understand something, address it until you understand. Make sure you do this for everything + anything you don't understand. Talk to your teachers, they are there to help you. Don't leave it till the week before your exams.

Hm.

Well, Chemistry is by far the easiest. No memorisation is really required, it's more about understanding concepts and once you do- it feels pretty simple. I thought it was my easiest A-level by a long way.

Maths just requires practice. Practice whenever you can + you'll find it manageable.

Biology is horrible. Too much memorisation. Too much application. Ew.

Physics is also horrible. Double ew.

I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you keep on top of things. That is the most important thing. Obviously you might prefer Biology over Maths + whatnot but that's just how I found it. Try not to get wrapped up in what everyone says about your subject choices bc otherwise you'll go in with a mind set that it'll be difficult before you even begin and that might subconsciously hinder your progress, if that makes sense. Anyway, good luck!

Thanks! I think maths and physics naturally come to me. I believe that biology is the one that will consume all my time. I was planning on starting revision from September anyway so it is a relief to hear that I wont have to spend masses amount of time on these subjects everyday.
Original post by Chembio123
I do chemistry biology and English and did a 4th AS in economics. My advice is DO NOT take chemistry if you really really don't need it, like unless you wanna do medicine dentistry or a chemistry degree.. Lol. It is verrrry content heavy and a lot of understanding, interpreting, concentration and application is required. Chemistry is mostly application but you MUST understand it or application would be impossible imo. With biology there's a lot more memorising than chemistry like essays and sample answers and stuff but there's still loads of application required and no matter how many past papers you do there will always be at least 2 questions in your exam you've prob never seen before that will trick you and require you to think logically, but sometimes these questions are harder than the actual biology 😳

I'm in year 10 and they just started me on AS Chemistry in separate lessons. It doesn't seem too bad content-wise to be honest
Reply 18
Original post by SeanFM
I'd say AFM/MFL/English lit is up there too but :dontknow:

I studied Maths, Physics, Chemistry as well as self teaching AS and A2 Further Maths in Year 13. While it was time consuming and stressful at times it was still possible to do what I wanted.

The real question is: do you need to be doing all 4?

There is the possibility of dropping one after the first year.
Reply 19
ooooooooooooooh bitch chemistry's gonna **** you HARD :afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest