The Student Room Group

why do people think this about veganism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retired_Messiah
Yes. It applies restrictions, therefore it is restrictive. You are using points about health to argue semantics when the two fields are totally unrelated. Restrictions =/= bad in all cases, but restrictions = restrictive in all cases.

okay, restrictive doesn't necessarily equal 'bad' but the term 'restrictive diet' generally carries a negative connotation and the person who said vegan diets are restrictive clearly meant it in that way
Original post by fannehh
okay, restrictive doesn't necessarily equal 'bad' but the term 'restrictive diet' generally carries a negative connotation and the person who said vegan diets are restrictive clearly meant it in that way

And so you argued vegan diets were something they weren't. Do better next time, eh?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
And so you argued vegan diets were something they weren't. Do better next time, eh?

No, I still stand by what I said. You're taking the word out of context
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
I disagree with veganism and its not a diet I ever plan to follow, I've made my points about how humans are naturally omnivorous and I don't think I need any arguments further than that. If you keep replying to me with circular, patronising, sanctimonious pseudo-arguments then this really isn't going to go anywhere. I don't want to be a part of this thread anymore if that's how you're going to speak to me, rather than actually having a reasonable discussion.

I'll admit to getting somewhat frustrated, but you haven't actually answered any of the questions I've put to you (including why something being natural has any bearing on anything). That's generally how a discussion works.
Original post by Justmoll28
that veganism is 'hard' or 'too expensive' or 'too time consuming'

it baffles me..i want to know why people think this?

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Veganism, if done right it not expensive and uber fast!!!!!!

Spoiler

How have I contradicted myself? I said the concept of eating animals is neither right or wrong, it's natural. It is also natural for humans to eat meat. Those who choose not to are not acting 'naturally'.

I would love to see a 2 month old baby venture into the forest and kill and eat a bird then

lol
OK I WANT EVERYONE TO READ THIS

Veganism is actually much easier than you can think especially if you watch "Earthlings" although I don't classify as Vegans, I say I eat a mostly plant-based diet however if you grow basic things, it could be pretty simple. Also, many people are influenced by media and the lifestyles of other vegans. Also, if you buy your fruit and veg primarily from supermarkets then it can add up so people need to get their options open. But mostly, people aren't educated enough.
Original post by eve_4342
I would love to see a 2 month old baby venture into the forest and kill and eat a bird then

lol

Agree
Original post by eve_4342

lol

A 2 month old baby walking would be unnatural in itself
Original post by viddy9
I'll admit to getting somewhat frustrated, but you haven't actually answered any of the questions I've put to you (including why something being natural has any bearing on anything). That's generally how a discussion works.

Being natural= how it is supposed to be. Humans are naturally omnivorous and so eating meat is natural, therefore an omnivore diet is better. Other species thrive best on their natural type of diet. My original point was it is unfair to force and unnatural and restrictive diet onto a child, a point I still stand by. I haven't answered the questions in the same way you haven't directly answered mine.
Being natural= how it is supposed to be. Humans are naturally omnivorous and so eating meat is natural, therefore an omnivore diet is better. Other species thrive best on their natural type of diet. My original point was it is unfair to force and unnatural and restrictive diet onto a child, a point I still stand by. I haven't answered the questions in the same way you haven't directly answered mine.

please take the time to watch this video, you don't have to agree with it but just watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmXynDLkbXY
Original post by fannehh
please take the time to watch this video, you don't have to agree with it but just watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmXynDLkbXY

I watched the whole of the video, and indeed I do disagree with it. I study A2 psychology, and one of the units is on eating behaviour and food preferences. Every single one of my A Level text books states humans are omnivores and that meat eating is normal and beneficial to human health, backed up by studies. Why would these scientific books contain 'wrong' information on a subject like this? I'm planning on writing about this exam, and it will be marked correct. That's enough evidence I need in my view
I watched the whole of the video, and indeed I do disagree with it. I study A2 psychology, and one of the units is on eating behaviour and food preferences. Every single one of my A Level text books states humans are omnivores and that meat eating is normal and beneficial to human health, backed up by studies. Why would these scientific books contain 'wrong' information on a subject like this? I'm planning on writing about this exam, and it will be marked correct. That's enough evidence I need in my view

Just because it's in textbooks doesn't mean it's correct but lets just agree to disagree because I don't think we can we can settle this argument.
I feel sorry for animals, but bacon tastes too good tbh
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
This argument makes no sense. I can agree that most animal rights terrorists are probably vegan, but only a minute percentage of vegans are animal rights terrorists. It's certainly not a valid argument against veganism in general.

but many vegans support their aims and are ' fellow travellers' and 'useful idiots' for these extremists
I hate it when they go full Jehovah on you :L
New to this thread and think everyone should chill a bit.

I think most reasonable people would have no problem with anyone who is a vegan - but I'm sure a lot have of us have met that stereotype - the sanctimonious vegan a**hole who treats it like a religion and believes they are superior to the rest of us. I know a vegan who even gives vegetarians equal scorn as meat-eaters because he says they are lightweights and not really committed. This is why the rest of you vegans get a bad rap - because these a**holes are so noisy about their disapproval.

While I totally accept that once you have done the steep learning curve of understand how to get a BALANCED vegan diet (easier said by you than done - all the vegans I know have had problems deriving from nutritional imbalances at some point - you cant afford to exclude certain food groups if you are vegan) - it can be a cheap diet. But it is not flexible, you have difficulty eating out etc, cannot go and eat at parties, weddings, family gatherings etc without difficulty. It undeniably involves much inconvenience.

Good luck to you all. But if you are a sanctimonious dick who judges us as meat eaters, then you can only expect us to judge you too, and you may not like that.
Original post by Herbiechester

I think most reasonable people would have no problem with anyone who is a vegan - but I'm sure a lot have of us have met that stereotype - the sanctimonious vegan a**hole who treats it like a religion and believes they are superior to the rest of us. I know a vegan who even gives vegetarians equal scorn as meat-eaters because he says they are lightweights and not really committed. This is why the rest of you vegans get a bad rap - because these a**holes are so noisy about their disapproval.

While I totally accept that once you have done the steep learning curve of understand how to get a BALANCED vegan diet (easier said by you than done - all the vegans I know have had problems deriving from nutritional imbalances at some point - you cant afford to exclude certain food groups if you are vegan) - it can be a cheap diet. But it is not flexible, you have difficulty eating out etc, cannot go and eat at parties, weddings, family gatherings etc without difficulty. It undeniably involves much inconvenience.

Good luck to you all. But if you are a sanctimonious dick who judges us as meat eaters, then you can only expect us to judge you too, and you may not like that.

Yeah I mostly agree with what you said, I think everyone should watch this video too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMvU6oBtw4c
Original post by Herbiechester

You can read the first pages, I only see insults from meat eaters
Original post by zippyRN
but many vegans support their aims and are ' fellow travellers' and 'useful idiots' for these extremists

Are you going to add any use to this argument, or carry on pathetically insulting vegans..

Quick Reply

Latest