The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM4 and CHEM5 revision thread 2016

Just thought i would start a revision thread as haven't been able to find one.
Feel free to ask questions you come across.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wabbit998
just thought i would start a revision thread as haven't been able to find one.
Feel free to ask questions you come across.

need help remembering transition metals !!
Original post by Roadrunner55
need help remembering transition metals !!

Same! My teacher counted that there are 49 equations to memorise AND all of their colours AND AQA like to ask stretch-and-challenge questions on them IN THE EXAM. CHEM5 is very scary. Hopefully, we'll get a nice paper.

How's everyone doing on structure determination? (H nmr, C nmr, etc.)
Reply 3
Original post by peterpotatoes

How's everyone doing on structure determination? (H nmr, C nmr, etc.)

This is by far, my least favourite part of Unit 4.
Original post by Anon_98
This is by far, my least favourite part of Unit 4.

This was for me too until recently. Whilst still difficult at times, with enough practice i finally got the hang of it! You just really need to take it step by step and, with C nmr, take every bond into account. That is to say always be aware of what 'different environments' really means
Reply 5
This was for me too until recently. Whilst still difficult at times, with enough practice i finally got the hang of it! You just really need to take it step by step and, with C nmr, take every bond into account. That is to say always be aware of what 'different environments' really means

Yeah, I suppose once I properly start revising that unit I'll be fairly alright.- Lots of practice is exactly what I'll do.. (Once I have finished the entirety of unit 5 that is.. (wahay)) + I also agree with your last point.

Thank you v much for the reassurance + advice. :'3
Original post by Anon_98
Yeah, I suppose once I properly start revising that unit I'll be fairly alright.- Lots of practice is exactly what I'll do.. (Once I have finished the entirety of unit 5 that is.. (wahay)) + I also agree with your last point.

Thank you v much for the reassurance + advice. :'3

You're very welcome! I think unit 4 is actually gonna be easier than my unit 2 retake on the 10th to be honest - we need to work together to beat AQA at their own game >:biggrin:

I've got a few other exams before unit 4 so i'm prioritising them first - CHEM5 is one of my last so revision is a little behind on that unit ;D
Reply 7
You're very welcome! I think unit 4 is actually gonna be easier than my unit 2 retake on the 10th to be honest - we need to work together to beat AQA at their own game >:biggrin:

I've got a few other exams before unit 4 so i'm prioritising them first - CHEM5 is one of my last so revision is a little behind on that unit ;D

Ah I'm doing the retake too - do let me know what you thought of it when it finally comes round aha! (': + absolutely. :biggrin:

That's really great. - In terms of difficulty, I find Unit 5 much easier than Unit 4. What other subjects do you do? :smile:
Original post by Anon_98
Ah I'm doing the retake too - do let me know what you thought of it when it finally comes round aha! (': + absolutely. :biggrin:

That's really great. - In terms of difficulty, I find Unit 5 much easier than Unit 4. What other subjects do you do? :smile:

You find unit 5 easier? I can't understand that at all :biggrin::s-smilie:

I'm doing biology & psychology both AQA; what else are you doing?

Yh chem 5 is easier, unit 4 is so long. Whos got good notes/websites resources for nmr (structure determination)
Original post by Roadrunner55
Yh chem 5 is easier, unit 4 is so long. Whos got good notes/websites resources for nmr (structure determination)

The best website for me was chemrevise. Here's a link to simplified notes on structure determination:

https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/mod-4-revision-guide-11-spectroscopy.pdf

I hope that opens. But as I said earlier in the thread, the best way to become good at this topic is practise. If you're really stuck, maybe check the mark scheme for a question first and work backwards to understand how you might arrive at that answer.

Hope this helps!
Do we have to know how to do this:
It came up in the June 2005 chem5 aqa paper
I don't think it's in our spec but just wanted to double check with u guys

When aqueous sodium thiosulphate is added to solid silver bromide a reaction occurs and a colourless solution is formed.

(i) Identify the silver-containing species present in the colourless solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Do we have to know how to do this:
It came up in the June 2005 chem5 aqa paper
I don't think it's in our spec but just wanted to double check with u guys

When aqueous sodium thiosulphate is added to solid silver bromide a reaction occurs and a colourless solution is formed.

(i) Identify the silver-containing species present in the colourless solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the silver-containing species should be silver thiosulfate - Na3[Ag(S2O3)2] - this is a stretch-and-challenge question on metal chemistry, and a similar question was asked on the Jun 2013 paper. We do not need to know silver chemistry anymore, but they may ask something similar using Cobalt, chromium or any other metal named on our specification
(edited 7 years ago)

Haha, yeah- It might just be bc I absolutely love Transition metals though!

Ah cool, I'm also doing Biology (AQA too) + Maths. :smile:
Reply 14
image.png Could someone explain the answer to question 1 c ii for me please? The answer is +256 by the calculation 121 + 79 -(-56)
But i got +144 by the calculation 121 + 79 - 56

Waaaah #unit5chemistryfeels
Original post by Anon_98
Haha, yeah- It might just be bc I absolutely love Transition metals though!

Ah cool, I'm also doing Biology (AQA too) + Maths. :smile:

Please explain to me how on earth you love transition metals! Genuinely i feel like if you could help me see how i can like that topic i might actually be able to handle unit 5!

How're you on biology? D'you prefer BIOL4 or BIOL5? And good luck in maths! I did AS physics last year which is basically M1 and it was a complete trainwreck
(edited 7 years ago)
After that EMPA don't you think they will be nice?
Please explain to me how on earth you love transition metals! Genuinely i feel like if you could help me see how i can like that topic i might actually be able to handle unit 5!

How're you on biology? D'you prefer BIOL4 or BIOL5? And good luck in maths! I did AS physics last year which is basically M1 and it was a complete trainwreck

Yeah, it's such a big topic aha. Aw I mean, it feels a little tedious at first but I find it really fun learning all the colours + reactions so I think that makes it easier + my notes for it are super pretty too which helps. :colondollar: Make some pretty notes! I also think it's more manageable if you split it up into sub-sections. So I've got it like:

- properties+ characteristics
- Complex formation
- Unidentate/Bidentate/Multidentate
-Naming cationic complexes
- Naming anionic complexes
- Stereochemistry
- Ligand substitution reactions
- Reactions of metal-aqua ions in solution.
- Transition metals as catalysts.
- Colour of ions + Spectrophotometry.

It's the only topic I've made notes on so far lol. I'd recommend that you make your notes on each section + then learn each individual sub-section. I think the easiest way to learn the reactions is by grouping them in pairs. I don't know what works for you, but since there are 6 elements to remember ( Copper, Cobalt, Iron(II), Iron (III), Chromium, Aluminium) I grouped Copper + Cobalt. Then I grouped the two Irons and I grouped Chromium + Aluminium which is all based on the reactions that take place.

I'm not sure that all makes much sense. :colondollar:

Oh, I literally haven't done any Biology revision whatsoever. I have zero knowledge on it. Like, absolutely zero.- I genuinely don't even know what I've learnt this year bar light independent reactions + the worst thing is, it's my weakest subject so I should really be spending much more time on it. I guess I prefer Unit 4 though bc I don't know anything in Unit 5. What about you?

Thank you for the luck! I also did AS physics last year, I totally agree with that judgement. Thankfully I picked Statistics as my module though, which isn't quite as bad. (':
Original post by Engineerrookie
After that EMPA don't you think they will be nice?

Hmm.. well, I don't think they'll be nice, no, but I still v much hope so.
Original post by Anon_98
Hmm.. well, I don't think they'll be nice, no, but I still v much hope so.

How did you find it??

Quick Reply

Latest