The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel B Geography - Unit 1 - Tuesday 24th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SilverWater
I know I have dropped atleast 20 marks. That includes 50/50s where I wasn't sure.

No chance of an A* imo but I can hope my cw doesn't drop and I need to smash human (which is thankfully my strongest subject)

I need to redeem myself in human too, if i want an A*!, but unit physical was my strongest :frown:, plus i have computer science on the same day as human :rip:
Original post by srmed
I talked about dams and washlands etc for the flood manangement question but I didnt refer to any case studies, I didn't know any do you think I will lose marks? but it said examine i think and i don't feel like i did that. for the extreme environments we told our teacher what the 8 marker was and she even though that it was a tricky question! i wrote about how in cold regions ike greenland ice will melt and sea temperature will rise causing fish to migrate and so people lose income as they can't sell fish haha and i said for places like the sahel temperature will cause crop failure etc. I literally made it up on the go hope it will get marks :smile:

Omg i wrote literally the same as you for both questions, except i wrote polar bears instead of fish lol.
Original post by JustJannah
Omg i wrote literally the same as you for both questions, except i wrote polar bears instead of fish lol.

loool I wrote about Greenland too haha but about animals in general
Reply 183
I put Soft engineering at the River Skerne and Hard engineering in York, but i messed up that question so badly :frown:

I did the river Skerne as well and Boscastle but talking afterwards people did lots of different answers so I do not know
Reply 184
I need to redeem myself in human too, if i want an A*!, but unit physical was my strongest :frown:, plus i have computer science on the same day as human :rip:

I agree however i have no time for last minute revision as I have Greman in the morning which clashes with Classical Civilisation so I have to sit in Isolation for an hour before i can sit my clashed exam
Original post by 3.14uren
so do I! I'm just praying for an easy paper :angelblush::angelblush: good luck to you!! you'll do amazing :smile:

I think it went quite well.I think I got at least 60 marks. What about you, how'd you think it went? :smile:
Original post by DebbieRose
I think it went quite well.I think I got at least 60 marks. What about you, how'd you think it went? :smile:

I did not understand the traditional economy question at all.. I have no idea how well it went for me tbh... :s-smilie:
Reply 187
Does anyone agree that the River Processes and Pressures 8 mark question was quite difficult and unfair as in the spec they don't talk about comparing the effectiveness of flood defences (more than 1) but they talk about these:

Investigate the impacts of flooding and the effectiveness of flood defences for a case study, e.g. Carlisle (2004), York(2002), River Severn (2007).

This point doesn't really have anything to do with effectiveness of flood defences as well:

Compare one traditional, hard engineering, flood management scheme,e.g. York, with one soft engineering approach, e.g. River Skerne, and assess their respective costs and benefits.
Reply 188
Original post by ritikp
Does anyone agree that the River Processes and Pressures 8 mark question was quite difficult and unfair as in the spec they don't talk about comparing the effectiveness of flood defences (more than 1) but they talk about these:

Investigate the impacts of flooding and the effectiveness of flood defences for a case study, e.g. Carlisle (2004), York(2002), River Severn (2007).

This point doesn't really have anything to do with effectiveness of flood defences as well:

Compare one traditional, hard engineering, flood management scheme,e.g. York, with one soft engineering approach, e.g. River Skerne, and assess their respective costs and benefits.

I put two hard engineering Colorado Dam and Three Gorges Dam
Reply 189
I was kinda stuck on that and left that question until the end. I ended up talking about York and River Skerne and how the flood defenses in York have not been very good (e.g. last year). The problem with it is that we weren't really taught the topic at this angle because of how the spec was written.
Reply 190
Original post by nahyr
I put two hard engineering Colorado Dam and Three Gorges Dam

I was going to write that but I wasn't sure how to link it to the question. But obviously if you have good contextual knowledge and answer the question you get marks.
Reply 191
Original post by ritikp
I was going to write that but I wasn't sure how to link it to the question. But obviously if you have good contextual knowledge and answer the question you get marks.

Im not really sure what is right or what they were looking for
Reply 192
Original post by nahyr
Im not really sure what is right or what they were looking for

Yeah that's the confusing part on how they will mark them and whether they will care if the case studies are right or wrong.
Reply 193
Original post by ritikp
Yeah that's the confusing part on how they will mark them and whether they will care if the case studies are right or wrong.

I think they may mark you down if you remembered the case study wrong but they wont mark you down for which case study you use as long as they are appropriate
Reply 194
I guess so.
hows revision going for human? I find it easy until I try to apply my knowledge....
Reply 196
could u make a revision guide for unit 2 please?
Original post by a.camz

There is one already on the internet. Hopefully it helps!

http://www.huntingtonschool.co.uk/media/folder/Geography/Revision/Unit2_Revision_Guide.pdf
Original post by a.camz

Yes of course! I've made a population dynamics one today, but then I got bored and am currently making a "case study" guide for unit 2 if that helps? Ill get round to all the topics in unit 2 and post them here once I've finished :smile:
Reply 199
Any predictions on unit 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending