The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Cant really say specifically..

Either, inner city areas with little diversity and loads of people typically the big shopping areas. Or the rural outskirts of the inner city areas with little people and diversity

Racism now is mostly shown through body language anyway - name calling which used to be a lot more common is now pretty rare, Racists are now afraid of being publicly racist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kshy_1
Cant really say specifically..

Either, inner city areas with little diversity and loads of people typically the big shopping areas. Or the rural outskirts of the inner city areas with little people and diversity

Racism now is mostly shown through body language anyway - name calling which used to be a lot more common is now pretty rare, Racists are now afraid of being publicly racist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Racism is system and black people can't be systematically racist in the UK

Although a black person in an authority position can discriminate against a white person, this kind of thing rarely happens because,

A) Such persons are still statistically rare relative to whites in authority
B) in virtually all cases, there are authorities above those black people who are white, and who would not stand for such actions
C) Even in cases where a black person sits atop a power structure (as with President Obama), he is not truly free to do anything to oppress or marginalize white people (even were he so inclined), given his own need to attract white support in order to win election or pass any of his policy agenda.

There are no institutional structures in the U.K. in which black people exercise final and controlling authority: not in the school systems, labour market, justice system, housing markets, financial markets, or media.

As such, the ability of black folks to oppress white people simply does not exist.
Probably around the westminster area
Original post by PrincePaul6888
Racism is system and black people can't be systematically racist in the UK

Although a black person in an authority position can discriminate against a white person, this kind of thing rarely happens because,

A) Such persons are still statistically rare relative to whites in authority
B) in virtually all cases, there are authorities above those black people who are white, and who would not stand for such actions
C) Even in cases where a black person sits atop a power structure (as with President Obama), he is not truly free to do anything to oppress or marginalize white people (even were he so inclined), given his own need to attract white support in order to win election or pass any of his policy agenda.

There are no institutional structures in the U.K. in which black people exercise final and controlling authority: not in the school systems, labour market, justice system, housing markets, financial markets, or media.

As such, the ability of black folks to oppress white people simply does not exist.

Your arguments are very coherent and I agree with you wholly. Racism is not just the dictionary definition, it's so much more complex. Even with a black president, I think people have become more racist, if that's even possible.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Shut ya gob, man swine.
Original post by _icecream
Kensington and chelsea

Hmm not so much,I would say.

Anyway,some of y'all are passive aggressive racists towards ethnic minorities or brown/black people. If you dislike certain groups of people,instead of saying 'muslims' just come out and say you don't like so and so so we can see the racist that you are. Stop hiding it under the guise of your dislike for 'muslims'
Original post by BirdIsWord
London is ridiculously diverse. Its probably the city where you'll find the least racism imo.

Agree with the first part of your sentence but racism will continue to exist within our capital
I never said it does. I'm saying racism goes far beyond the wallet.

No you said poor black people are different from poor white people because poor white people can escape the oppression by removing the "identifiable markers" which you state are fixing their teeth, buying new clothes and a car and so forth. All things which require money of which we have agreed their benefits have been cut hard just like with blacks... so how do they differ from poor black people? Are you telling me poor white people are not being set up for a life of crime and as such institutional oppression?
(edited 7 years ago)
Who gives a **** about London? It's a shithole and anyone with at least half a brain wouldn't choose to live there
London is very diverse and multicultural, I live in Kensington, and there are a lot of tourists everyday all the time-I've never witnessed any racism considering the fact I am Asian...
Original post by Betelgeuse-
No you said poor black people are different from poor white people because poor white people can escape the oppression by removing the "identifiable markers" which you state are fixing their teeth, buying new clothes and a car and so forth. All things which require money of which we have agreed their benefits have been cut hard just like with blacks... so how do they differ from poor black people? Are you telling me poor white people are not being set up for a life of crime and as such institutional oppression?

The claim of racism is that the lives white people lead are substantively enhanced, materially and psychologically, vis-a-vis black people or any person colour, due to whiteness.

The key words here are the lives white people lead. In other words, the real, on-the-ground lives of real white people, not lives and people in the abstract.

So, in the U.K., for instance, we live lives that take place within a class system. white poor folks are not up against rich black people. Mostly, they are competing for jobs, educations and housing against poor folks of colour.

So, in the case of poor whites in London or anywhere, the proper test of their racial privilege would be to compare whites in the region with blacks in the same region and to then ask,

Do whites have an advantage ?

That poor whites are the ones you instantly think of and the ones programmes makers do documentaries about pl think of poverty, and the ones for whom people typically then express such great sympathy, seems to indicate a very substantial kind of privileging.

In fact I'd say arguing that arguing about poor white people is like trying to argue that Tesco's does not make much money because they throw out loads of food,

The point is, privilege is as much a psychological matter as a material one. Whites (poor or not) have the luxury of not having to worry that your race is going to mark u negatively when looking for work, going to school, shopping, looking for a place to live, or driving for that matter: things that black people can’t take for granted.

That’s all I’m saying about white privilege: on balance, it pays to be a member of the dominant racial group. It doesn’t mean that a white person will get everything they want in life, or win every competition, but it does mean that there are general advantages that whites receive.
(edited 7 years ago)

The point is, privilege is as much a psychological matter as a material one. Whites (poor or not) have the luxury of not having to worry that your race is going to mark u negatively when looking for work, going to school, shopping, looking for a place to live, or driving for that matter: things that black people can’t take for granted.

That’s all I’m saying about white privilege: on balance, it pays to be a member of the dominant racial group. It doesn’t mean that a white person will get everything they want in life, or win every competition, but it does mean that there are general advantages that whites receive.

I've never seen anyone marked negatively for being a different colour here, privilege and what you earned in life are totally different things, do you really think a business would turn some one down who could save them loads of money on tax, has a lot of experience in the field and will turn them over a huge profit, oh but wait, they are black, sorry we wont employ you.

Also, on the subject of it being an advantage to be in the dominant racial group, do you think this doesn't apply to white people in Asian countries? Who by your definition, are clearly more privileged than whites.
Original post by lolatmaths
give away what?

you went to grammar school

and you are against benefit scroungers

clearly you are part of the elite huh?

x
Original post by john2054
you went to grammar school

and you are against benefit scroungers

clearly you are part of the elite huh?

x

No, im not part of the elite, im middle class if not then working class. I study hard. Im against people who are too lazy to get of their arses and life of the welfare state. is this not what everyone should strive for?
The claim of racism is that the lives white people lead are substantively enhanced, materially and psychologically, vis-a-vis black people or any person colour, due to whiteness.

The key words here are the lives white people lead. In other words, the real, on-the-ground lives of real white people, not lives and people in the abstract.

So, in the U.K., for instance, we live lives that take place within a class system. white poor folks are not up against rich black people. Mostly, they are competing for jobs, educations and housing against poor folks of colour.

So, in the case of poor whites in London or anywhere, the proper test of their racial privilege would be to compare whites in the region with blacks in the same region and to then ask,

Do whites have an advantage ?

That poor whites are the ones you instantly think of and the ones programmes makers do documentaries about pl think of poverty, and the ones for whom people typically then express such great sympathy, seems to indicate a very substantial kind of privileging.

In fact I'd say arguing that arguing about poor white people is like trying to argue that Tesco's does not make much money because they throw out loads of food,

Why don't you try going to former Rhodesia, and see how you like it over there huh young prince? If you were white i mean? Oh yes, sorry i forgot they were kicked out!!! (Former Rhodesia=Zimbabwe) thanks. And before you say anything else my wife is an Embu (Kikuyu) thanks again!
Original post by lolatmaths
No, im not part of the elite, im middle class if not then working class. I study hard. Im against people who are too lazy to get of their arses and life of the welfare state. is this not what everyone should strive for?

Good for you. We are both part of a superior mental hierachy may i dare say. I worked hard for my degree, including access it took me about ten years. And now i am too old and too disabled to get a job. But does it look like i'm bothered? Hopefully they will consider restarting my esa as well? Seeing as i have the diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia chronic and acute. Thanks again.
Good for you. We are both part of a superior mental hierachy may i dare say. I worked hard for my degree, including access it took me about ten years. And now i am too old and too disabled to get a job. But does it look like i'm bothered? Hopefully they will consider restarting my esa as well? Seeing as i have the diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia chronic and acute. Thanks again.

You're not a benefits scrounger. There's a difference. You have a reason, hence you claim ESA.
I agree there is a big problem, with benefits scroungers. It seems like our society is half built up, and around it's welfare state. But it makes me at least a little bit angry to think that i have spent the best part of the last ten years in education, and cannot get a job at the end of it. Worse still, the job centre say that i am getting in too much money, now that my wife is working as well, for me to claim esa. Although considering she only pays me tuppece towards the bills, i'm not sure how they have worked that one out!

thanks again.
Why don't you try going to former Rhodesia, and see how you like it over there huh young prince? If you were white i mean? Oh yes, sorry i forgot they were kicked out!!! (Former Rhodesia=Zimbabwe)

If I come into your home and rob and rape everyone in your home. Do you think I have the right to complain about the tactics that you use to get you out of your home ?

thanks. And before you say anything else my wife is an Embu (Kikuyu) thanks again!
Is that supposed to impress me ? It still means nothing. You can still harbour racist thoughts and be married to a,member from another race.
Reply 119
one of the areas are bad really, racist against swhites sure but other than that..

Latest

Trending

Trending