The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Paper 2016 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

I factorised question 9 to give T=5(x+4y) since it was worth 3 marks and included the formula T=5x+20y in the working would i still get the marks?
Original post by tim_72
I factorised question 9 to give T=5(x+4y) since it was worth 3 marks and included the formula T=5x+20y in the working would i still get the marks?

Yes you will get the marks, but there was no need to factorise but some examiners prefer that.
Original post by ewales
The question on Circle Theorem's was 69 degrees.

I did all the working but got 59..............ooooops
Original post by Rakstar
I will be revising the volume and surface area of shapes like a frustum because that won't be on the formula sheet.

Volume of a frustum is just the volume of the bigger cone take away the smaller one, the formula for which is on the formula sheet (curved surface are of cone = (pi)rl). For surface area you do the same - you work out the curved surface area of the bigger cone, take away the curved surface area of the smaller cone, and add the areas of the two circles on top and bottom of the resultant shape. All of this is on the formula sheet. Here are a few that you HAVE to remember (I don't know about all of them though):

- Area of a parallelogram = base x vertical height

- Area of sector in a circle = angle size/360 x area of full circle

- Length of arc of a circle = angle size/360 x full circumference of circle

- SA(surface area) of cylinder = 2(pi)radius x height + 2(pi)radius^2

- full SA of cone (not just the curved sa) = (pi)radius x slant height(l) + (pi)radius^2

- volume of pyramid = 1/3 x base area x vertical height

- density = mass/volume

- speed = distance/time

Hope I helped.

Original post by LogicalFallacy
This is the completed mark scheme for the 26/05/2016 mathematics non-calculator paper.

If there are any mistakes, please tell me.

Reps would be appreciated, but are not necessary.

Spoiler

how were you able to get this?
Original post by Rakstar
Hiya Rebecca you may be in a chance of getting marks for your working, I showed my workings and no you will get 0 if your workings are invalid. BTW best of luck to your exams, and best of wishes of you achieving your A*

Thank you very much and same to you!
Does anyone have any predictions for the calculator paper?
Original post by tim_72
Volume of a frustum is just the volume of the bigger cone take away the smaller one, the formula for which is on the formula sheet (curved surface are of cone = (pi)rl). For surface area you do the same - you work out the curved surface area of the bigger cone, take away the curved surface area of the smaller cone, and add the areas of the two circles on top and bottom of the resultant shape. All of this is on the formula sheet. Here are a few that you HAVE to remember (I don't know about all of them though):

- Area of a parallelogram = base x vertical height

- Area of sector in a circle = angle size/360 x area of full circle

- Length of arc of a circle = angle size/360 x full circumference of circle

- SA(surface area) of cylinder = 2(pi)radius x height + 2(pi)radius^2

- full SA of cone (not just the curved sa) = (pi)radius x slant height(l) + (pi)radius^2

- volume of pyramid = 1/3 x base area x vertical height

- density = mass/volume

- speed = distance/time

Hope I helped.

Thank you mate, but i'm just going over the topics, to refresh memory. I already know GCSE maths inside and out, but i make too many silly mistakes because i become over- confident. I didn't know about the density though, so ye it helped.

Over the half- term, I will predominantly revising further maths GCSE, is anyone else?
Hi I was just wondering if it would get marks for question 18. I did the right working out however I forgot to write the simplified answers out in the end. Do you think I would still get atleast mark for that. Examiners can be cruel sometimes.
Original post by Matilda612
Hi I was just wondering if it would get marks for question 18. I did the right working out however I forgot to write the simplified answers out in the end. Do you think I would still get atleast mark for that. Examiners can be cruel sometimes.

Hey, I'm confident you will get the rest of the mark, examiners have to follow the board and edexcel always award marks for working, including the non-simplified answer.
Original post by Rakstar
http://mrkibria.weebly.com/uploads/7..._mr_kibria.pdf
Check this link, it's the question about working out with mixed fractions.

Thanks, bro. Now, I think I got that right.
Original post by MathsMaxMapsMats
Thanks, bro. Now, I think I got that right.

Not a problem
excuse me can you please inform me of the completed grade boundries , thank you
Original post by Rebecca-Joseph
Same:frown: but aim for 95-100 marks in paper 2 (totally possible if you really want it) and we can get that A*

We can do this :biggrin:

How are you revising for the calculator then and how much? I'm just gonna do as many past questions as I can
Original post by Thorntonali
I'm aiming for a C aswell (not that I'll get it😂😂)
I think to be completely safe 70 overall (with both papers combined)

Lol I'll be retaking in November then, I've only got 25 marks so far from the unofficial mark scheme so I need like 45 marks on the calculator paper to make sure I pass:ashamed:
In retrospect, it seems my subconscious thinks that 2 x 2 x 2.5 = 30

This probably won't help the fact that I need to get an A* in Maths to do Further Maths at A-Level.
Do you have the answers to the aqa C1, P1, B1 papers?
Also, are these the full answers to the 2016 Maths paper?
Original post by GCSEstudentt
We can do this :biggrin:

How are you revising for the calculator then and how much? I'm just gonna do as many past questions as I can

At least 2 hrs a day now I just go through all topics (from grade D-A*) and practise questions on them or watch videos on them if I don't understand something. As you said, I also do lots of past papers and sometimes my tutor will give me a few a-level questions to do to try and push my thinking. That is by no means necessary but no harm done:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending