The Student Room Group

Medicine? Grades?

If getting the grades AAA this year are out of reach this year, is applying to medicine out of the question.
Given these grades don't count but actually go to universities, say I take a gap year.

I'm probably reaching out a little to far, but any advice or comments would be appreciated
Reply 1
Please, I'm a little bit concerned
Did you mean at AS level or A2 level now?

If at AS level, I'm pretty sure that as long as your teachers can provide high predicted grades (and depending on the uni, provide a reason for your lower grades this year) your dream for medicine should not be over - you just need to pull the grades up as far as I know.

If at A2 level, it's obviously more problematic. You could, say, retake the exams to increase your grades but it all depends because some universities want higher grades or don't actually consider resit students. Unfortunately, it's harder this way. You could go for an undergraduate degree that allows for transfer to Medicine after the first year though, but be aware that this is competitive. Another option would be a foundation degree, which I might have to consider as a student without Chemistry as an AS level yet - all depends grade-wise. These are also competitive though so beware!
Reply 3
Original post by bonney12
Did you mean at AS level or A2 level now?

If at AS level, I'm pretty sure that as long as your teachers can provide high predicted grades (and depending on the uni, provide a reason for your lower grades this year) your dream for medicine should not be over - you just need to pull the grades up as far as I know.

If at A2 level, it's obviously more problematic. You could, say, retake the exams to increase your grades but it all depends because some universities want higher grades or don't actually consider resit students. Unfortunately, it's harder this way. You could go for an undergraduate degree that allows for transfer to Medicine after the first year though, but be aware that this is competitive. Another option would be a foundation degree, which I might have to consider as a student without Chemistry as an AS level yet - all depends grade-wise. These are also competitive though so beware!

Thanks for replying! I am in AS so these grades go to universities, I have to at least be able to get onto the second year course of my a-levels, I don't want to start worrying about other things like UKCAT until I have actually done my exams, this summer wont exactly be a relaxing one
Like the previous poster said, as long as you get AAA predicted for next year, and apply tactically (don't apply to universities that score based on AS grades, or place a lot of emphysis), you have a chance for 2017 entry. Even if you don't get in first time, once you have A2 results, no unis (that I know of) even look at AS grades, so you'll be at no disadvantage. You can also use your gap year to get experience/earn money/get drunk in a South East Asian country :wink:
What about the UKCAT? How is everyone feeling? It seems hard with the time limits and such... how is everyone planning on getting a good mark?
Reply 6
I am revising for UKCAT a little but not focusing too much because exams and all, so will start prep for it in a week or so
Reply 7
Original post by runningcat
I am revising for UKCAT a little but not focusing too much because exams and all, so will start prep for it in a week or so

I say wait until your exams are over. Really you can power through prep for UKCAT in a week, and your exams finish in June? you still have the whole of July, August and September and probably a week or so in october to actually sit your UKCAT, don't compromise your AS grades by wasting time on ukcat right now
Reply 8
Original post by Freyr
I say wait until your exams are over. Really you can power through prep for UKCAT in a week, and your exams finish in June? you still have the whole of July, August and September and probably a week or so in october to actually sit your UKCAT, don't compromise your AS grades by wasting time on ukcat right now

Will do! After that chemistry exam I don't think I have a lot of hope to be honest
Reply 9
I am literally in the exact same situation and was just about to post a very similar post!
I thinking about doing something and then transferring, or Nottingham do a foundation course where you only need B's. . Still probs not gonna happen but I can hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If getting the grades AAA this year are out of reach this year, is applying to medicine out of the question.
Given these grades don't count but actually go to universities, say I take a gap year.

I'm probably reaching out a little to far, but any advice or comments would be appreciated

As long as you get predictions of at least AAA for your overall A2 levels then you will have a good chance. but be realistic, AAA is much harder to achieve at A2 than at AS in my opinion, so if its out of reach this year consider why that is and ensure you make changes to avoid disappointment next year if you gain an offer.
Reply 11
Original post by jenni:)
I am literally in the exact same situation and was just about to post a very similar post!
I thinking about doing something and then transferring, or Nottingham do a foundation course where you only need B's. . Still probs not gonna happen but I can hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck to you! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Natalierm2707
As long as you get predictions of at least AAA for your overall A2 levels then you will have a good chance. but be realistic, AAA is much harder to achieve at A2 than at AS in my opinion, so if its out of reach this year consider why that is and ensure you make changes to avoid disappointment next year if you gain an offer.

Definitely something to consider, Aiming very high for the A2 and will work ever so hard, harder than this year
Definitely something to consider, Aiming very high for the A2 and will work ever so hard, harder than this year

glad to hear it, everyone has hiccups but just make sure you learn from them. best of luck to you!
Reply 14
Original post by Natalierm2707
glad to hear it, everyone has hiccups but just make sure you learn from them. best of luck to you!

Very true, thanks for the advice! Hoping the work pays off :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending