The Student Room Group

The most important advice on starting university which they never tell you about

.. for some reason.

When you finish first year, you'll go on to living in houses - you'll have to pay a deposit of around 300 pounds depending on the rent.

SAVE UP THAT MONEY FROM THE START OF THE YEAR or you'll be stuck like me and absolutely broke.

Unless of course you have rich ass or well off parents who can provide you with that :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't gone to uni but I'm going to buy a massive ass freezer and fill it with food from Costco or some on-line Wholesale website possibly try to purchase half a years worth of food at a time making it easier thought the term.
Original post by NoahMal
I haven't gone to uni but I'm going to buy a massive ass freezer and fill it with food from Costco or some on-line Wholesale website possibly try to purchase half a years worth of food at a time making it easier thought the term.

check your halls contact lets you use your own appliances they can get a bit funny about that and get contents insurance that covers frozen food for the inevitable power cut or blown fuse you'll encounter (if that does happen filling a sink with cold water can keep your food frozen for a couple of hours).
Original post by NoahMal

Where would you keep the freezer though? There wouldn't be enough room in the kitchen, due to appropriate appliances coming provided and fridges/freezers FORBIDDEN in bedrooms, unless you have a medical condition such as diabetes, in which case one is allowed provided it is only used for storing life saving medication

I'm a 4th year and the best piece of advice I can give is just don't be scared. Unless you're a hermit who never leaves their, room, it's impossible to not make friends.
Original post by intoxycated
.. for some reason.

When you finish first year, you'll go on to living in houses - you'll have to pay a deposit of around 300 pounds depending on the rent.

SAVE UP THAT MONEY FROM THE START OF THE YEAR or you'll be stuck like me and absolutely broke.

Unless of course you have rich ass or well off parents who can provide you with that :smile:

Most university accommodations ask for a deposit - this can be anywhere from £200 to £300 - you get this back at the end of the year and when you do, you can use it for the deposit on the house you will be living in. This is what a lot of people did at our university but I appreciate not every university does this.

Also, talk to your university. Most universities advertise student houses and work with landlord/ladies in order to provide good housing for students, they can help you with situations like this.
Reply 5
Original post by super_kawaii
Where would you keep the freezer though? There wouldn't be enough room in the kitchen, due to appropriate appliances coming provided and fridges/freezers FORBIDDEN in bedrooms, unless you have a medical condition such as diabetes, in which case one is allowed provided it is only used for storing life saving medication

I'm a 4th year and the best piece of advice I can give is just don't be scared. Unless you're a hermit who never leaves their, room, it's impossible to not make friends.

I will never live in UNI halls. Personally find it horrid. Im going to rent my own apartment close to campus.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
check your halls contact lets you use your own appliances they can get a bit funny about that and get contents insurance that covers frozen food for the inevitable power cut or blown fuse you'll encounter (if that does happen filling a sink with cold water can keep your food frozen for a couple of hours).

I will never live in UNI halls. Personally find it horrid. Im going to rent my own apartment close to campus.
A lot of second year housing contracts start over summer as well, so you have to start paying rent well before your next student finance payment.

I've got a large overdraft so thankfully this has never been a problem for me. Without the overdraft though I would have been pretty screwed at the end of first year/ going into second year having to pay deposits, fees and rent all at once with no immediate income.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NoahMal

Most private apartments will already have their own fridge freezer provided and may have similar rules about having fridges/freezers in bedrooms. Check your contract thoroughly before signing it. If you break a contract you've signed in any way, you'll be liable for eviction, regardless of who your accommodation's leased by.

Tone down the snobbishness a bit as well, unless you want 0 friends. People don't warm to people who have a "holier than thou" attitude about things
Original post by SophieSmall
A lot of second year housing contracts start over summer as well, do you have to start paying rent well before your next student finance payment.

I've got a large overdraft so thankfully this has never been a problem for me. Without the overdraft though I would have been pretty screwed at the end of first year/ going into second year having to pay deposits, fees and rent all at once with no immediate income.

Yes, you will be legally required to pay rent for the entirety of your contract, which is usually 12 months for private student housing. Most times it's June-June, but some times you can get Sept-Sept rents :smile: If you don't pay rent at the agreed rate for the agreed length of time as set out in the contract, you will be liable for eviction and other legal procedings.
I'd echo what others have said about rent for second year if you're going to be in private student housing. I signed up for my house in November and had to pay the £300 straight away, so just a warning to those who will be renting privately, make sure you've got enough money for when you decide to sign :smile:
Reply 11
The Game.

Which I just lost.

Damn you all.
Where would you keep the freezer though? There wouldn't be enough room in the kitchen, due to appropriate appliances coming provided and fridges/freezers FORBIDDEN in bedrooms, unless you have a medical condition such as diabetes, in which case one is allowed provided it is only used for storing life saving medication.

The bit about fridges being forbidden isn't always true. It depends on your university's rules. In fact, some even provide you with a small fridge so it's always best to have a look at your university's website or call them.
Original post by Legendary Quest
The bit about fridges being forbidden isn't always true. It depends on your university's rules. In fact, some even provide you with a small fridge so it's always best to have a look at your university's website or call them.

At most universities they are forbidden though, unless you have a legitimate medical issue that requires one, backed up with evidence from respected medical professionals.

It definitely is worth reading your contract through fully to make sure you don't break it and end up faced with legal proceedings
sugar daddy
Yes, you will be legally required to pay rent for the entirety of your contract, which is usually 12 months for private student housing. Most times it's June-June, but some times you can get Sept-Sept rents :smile: If you don't pay rent at the agreed rate for the agreed length of time as set out in the contract, you will be liable for eviction and other legal procedings.

Whoops. I wasn't asking a question, I knew this was the case

Accidentally had a typo that said "do you have to" instead of "so you have to". I'll edit that now.
Original post by JohnGreek
You don't need to have "rich ass" parents in order to be able to ask them to put down a £200 deposit on a house.

Obviously. But to a lot of households £200 is a lot of money and something many parents, my mum included can not spare.

If it weren't for my brother I would not have been able to put down a deposit for my first year of uni because my mum simply had no money and I didn't have the time to wait to get a job and then wait even longer to be paid to pit a deposit down. As I was given a deadline if 1 week to pay. I was lucky enough to have a brother with money to spare, many are not.
Original post by JohnGreek
You don't need to have "rich ass" parents in order to be able to ask them to put down a £200 deposit on a house.

of course you didn't read what i said properly because i mentioned or well off parents.
At most universities they are forbidden though, unless you have a legitimate medical issue that requires one, backed up with evidence from respected medical professionals.

It definitely is worth reading your contract through fully to make sure you don't break it and end up faced with legal proceedings

They're forbidden but it's worth asking around to see if it's actually enforced. At least in my halls they didn't really mind, they usually only really brought out fines for things that damage the room or cause problems for other people.
Original post by Helloworld_95
They're forbidden but it's worth asking around to see if it's actually enforced. At least in my halls they didn't really mind, they usually only really brought out fines for things that damage the room or cause problems for other people.

In my halls they were strictly enforced as mini fridges can cause serious problems for other people-they can overload the electric systems 'causing power outages which are a major inconvenience for people studying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending