The Student Room Group

Help with graphs....

Hello
For anyone that has the Edexcel A linear - higher book...I struggle with chapter 21 22 and 30(graphs of exponential functions, transformations of functions etc)
I am fine with all other chapters and could easily get an A* if I have very few or none or these graphs in an exam.All points I lose are from there.
I don't really know what is the background knowledge I am missing and can't understand them.Many times, I will see the answer and I will be like "oh, was that it"
I think my brain overloads with lines, squares, numbers, letters and I see the graph as one picture, rather than "parts"
Can someone recommend a book...or a youtube channel, or anything that could help me.
Thank you so much
Reply 1
Hmm... I've done roughly every Edexcel past paper and seen transformation of function graphs come up on nearly every one. Exponential graphs aren't as common though. I watched MathsWatch and KhanAcademy videos on them, before the exam I read over my revision book just to re-jog my memory. Personally I can't draw to save my life therefore I struggle drawing the stretch transformations rather than the x/y shifts. Best of luck learning them; maths genie have a good revision video on it too!
Reply 2
Original post by Wisbey
Hmm... I've done roughly every Edexcel past paper and seen transformation of function graphs come up on nearly every one. Exponential graphs aren't as common though. I watched MathsWatch and KhanAcademy videos on them, before the exam I read over my revision book just to re-jog my memory. Personally I can't draw to save my life therefore I struggle drawing the stretch transformations rather than the x/y shifts. Best of luck learning them; maths genie have a good revision video on it too!

I want to concetrate on them in the summer, I don't think it is a good idea to do them now perfectly well for the 9th.I will have a look at the channels you mentioned, had already subscribed :smile:
I am good at drawing....it is just that they make my brain tired and I fear them so I switch off a bit while reading examples.
I really love maths so much so I hope I will sort these chapters out soon.
thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest