The Student Room Group

What are some subjects you're happy never have to do again?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Biology, Media Studies & French :bl:
Geology
Reply 202
English (So boring) and Spanish (BS).
1) FRENCH
2) english lit and lang
3) physics thank god i got it over last year
4) history
Original post by queenoflean
Literature. I really do love reading novels, but damn, you want me to tell you what it meant when some background buddy drank tea with his left hand instead of his right about 5 chapters after i zoned tf out? nah
so. damn. accurate
DT, biology, english language
French...but only a little bit...glad for no more exams/coursework in it, but I like the language. Same with Geography - love the subject, hate the course.
all the sciences and english
eng lit & french im sooo Pleased
Maths, physics, French
Original post by JenniMusic
French...but only a little bit...glad for no more exams/coursework in it, but I like the language. Same with Geography - love the subject, hate the course.

i agree, i love french and want to learn it further after gcse, i just have a feeling that A level french will make me hate it :angry: I actually like the geography exam though, it's very straight forward, but some of the topic is extremely boring
All 3 sciences, music and music technology. And sort of English. I don't mind Lit as much but I hate Language.
maths and Textiles ughh hated them both
physics
Science, maths, PE, RE, English (both Lit. and Lang.), Geography, French... yeah, all of them apart from Performing Arts and Media Studies.
Latin. Many people told me it is easier to learn than the modern languages like French or even Spanish. No, it isn't! on the contrary, it is even tougher, as this language is not spoken and not used, and speaking and using are the best ways to learn foreign languages. If I would had known this at that time where I have choosen Latin, I surely would had taken French instead (although this language tends not to be my favorite...)

Latin as learning language - never again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
Algebra and Analysis. :puke:

How dare you?You are doing a Maths degree so I assume you'll have to do Analysis again and it will be of crucial importance to your degree.I love the logic of Analysis it can be quite hard but very rewarding after you've created some rigorous proofs that took you hours(the exam questions weren't as hard as the homework, the exam was quite easy for me at Durham).I love how Analysis gets you to really appreciate Mathematics and understand it in a way you never did like a Science.Sometimes they go too far with the rigour like to an extent that is not needed.

I will agree with the abstraction of Algebra some of the calculations can be quite important and be of crucial importance to Physics(Quantum Mechanics particularly) but they go too far with the abstraction at times and I hate groups and if I did Algebra next year it would be horrible with rings and stuff like that.

My list:frown:from Mathematics and Physics)
Abstract Algebra
Programming(possibly because its so hard and you don't know what to do and I don't like how its not you doing the Mathematics.The Programming exam I did didn't go too well either they made coursework into an exam).
Optics(might not be finished with this if I decide to switch to NatSci not decided yet).I'm pretty sure virtually everyone hated that course, far too many sketches and learning proofs and it was all too abstract and the exam question was horrible so much harder than anything I'd seen before phasors for 3 slit diffraction.
Statistics(not Probability though so Statistics at A Level wasn't that bad, I really didn't want to do Statistics at University I knew that)
Discrete
(Subjects)
English(Particularly Creative Writing how am I suppose to write an article about something I know nothing about?)
French/German
History(Really hated how many essays you had to do and how modern it all was for History,I had a Level 7 in Y9 for it which was pretty good but I really hated it so dropped it).
PE Coursework(I love PE but certainly not the BTEC).
Most of Chemistry(Crude Oil and Fractional Distillation in particular)/Biology(I really in general didn't like these subjects.However, I did like parts of these subjects I always said to myself anything interesting in Chemistry you'd do in Physics though and I really liked evolution and maybe genetics in Biology but most of Biology was just remembering rubbish.)
Practical Science(Never really saw the point of this as you knew and understood the theory.I see Practicals as a waste of time in which you could be learning new stuff instead.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
How dare you?You are doing a Maths degree so I assume you'll have to do Analysis again and it will be of crucial importance to your degree.I love the logic of Analysis it can be quite hard but very rewarding after you've created some rigorous proofs that took you hours(the exam questions weren't as hard as the homework, the exam was quite easy for me at Durham).I love how Analysis gets you to really appreciate Mathematics and understand it in a way you never did like a Science.

I will agree with the abstraction of Algebra some of the calculations can be quite important and be of crucial importance to Physics(Quantum Mechanics particularly) but they go too far with the abstraction at times and I hate groups and if I did Algebra next year it would be horrible with rings and stuff like that.

Ha, the only way I'm touching Analysis after my second year is if I have to resit my exam in the summer.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the importance and how fundamental it is to Maths but I don't enjoy it, and I don't like groups/rings either.
Reply 218
English and History!!!
1) Physics
2) Biology
3) Chemistry
4) Spanish (cut of my teacher)
5)Maths

Quick Reply

Latest