The Student Room Group

Bristol Vs Nottingham Vs Liverpool vs London

How would yee rank these as places to live in?

Appreciate your two cents on any

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bristol is fab yay.

I don't feign to have indepth knowledge on the middle two but I'd put Bristol above them for prestige anyway.
London depends on the uni...
However many students I know complain about cost and how isolated it can be. (thought Bristol is also expensive)

If you have anything more specific on bris I can help...
Original post by Inazuma
Bristol is fab yay.

I don't feign to have indepth knowledge on the middle two but I'd put Bristol above them for prestige anyway.
However many students I know complain about cost and how isolated it can be. (thought Bristol is also expensive)

cheers bud
and tis not about uni....Im planning on moving to england...and these places interest me the most atm

purely on what the cities are like and costs involved.the big minus with London is the money. Bristol seems nice but is fairly expensive too. I was thinking liverpool might be best bet.
Liverpool is cheap as well as up-and-coming, so it's a good bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by trustmeimlying1
cheers bud
and tis not about uni....Im planning on moving to england...and these places interest me the most atm

purely on what the cities are like and costs involved.the big minus with London is the money. Bristol seems nice but is fairly expensive too. I was thinking liverpool might be best bet.

Ahhhhh that makes more sense.

If cost the the other two may be better. The little I know of Nottingham suggests it's nice. Can you not visit before and do a 'tour' to get a feel for them?
Original post by Inazuma
Ahhhhh that makes more sense.

If cost the the other two may be better. The little I know of Nottingham suggests it's nice. Can you not visit before and do a 'tour' to get a feel for them?
good idea. yeh can be my tour guide as well as somewhere to crash cheers.
Reply 6
I'm not a student, but I'm from Liverpool. It's definitely cheaper to live in and easier to navigate than London, though.
Reply 7
Original post by Inazuma
Bristol is fab yay.

Bristol is boring a f*** mate. You can walk from one end of Bristol to the other end in 30 minutes. There's nothing to do there.

I hate how overpopulated London has become, but if you have lived in London everywhere else in the UK will send you to sleep.
Reply 8
Original post by Nidhoggr
Bristol is boring a f*** mate. You can walk from one end of Bristol to the other end in 30 minutes. There's nothing to do there.

I hate how overpopulated London has become, but if you have lived in London everywhere else in the UK will send you to sleep.

Are you nuts lol? 30 mins will take you from clifton bridge to cotham max, city to clifton. Unless you're neglecting the rest of bristol: hotwells, thornbury, filton, etc

I calculated the shortest route across bristol just to show how ridiculous that is, brislington to bedminster is an hours walk.
Longest way, 3h+

As for nothing to do, perhaps if you are an uncouth and uncultured brute. There's a wealth there. I won't even waste my time listing it all because even a mere google shows how idiotic that statement is.
Reply 9
Original post by Inazuma
Are you nuts lol? 30 mins will take you from clifton bridge to cotham max, city to clifton. Unless you're neglecting the rest of bristol: hotwells, thornbury, filton, etc

I calculated the shortest route across bristol just to show how ridiculous that is, brislington to bedminster is an hours walk.
Longest way, 3h+

As for nothing to do, perhaps if you are an uncouth and uncultured brute. There's a wealth there. I won't even waste my time listing it all because even a mere google shows how idiotic that statement is.

City centre is the only part that matters. There is literally nothing happening in rest of Bristol. And even i city centre, Cabot Circus is pretty much the only thing of note, and there are shopping centres everywhere in the UK.

There's nothing about Bristol that makes Bristol any different from another city in UK. It's dead boring.You are clearly a biased opinion.
(edited 7 years ago)
City centre is the only part that matters. There is literally nothing happening in rest of Bristol. And even i city centre, Cabot Circus is pretty much the only thing of note, and there are shopping centres everywhere in the UK.

There's nothing about Bristol that makes Bristol any different from another city in UK. It's dead boring.

I'm sorry, but this is absolute rubbish. Do you live in Bristol? I can only assume you haven't spent much time there.

- Bristol is the biggest city in the Southwest.
I'm there every other week, and Cabbot Circus is a shopping centre.. in terms of night life - nobody goes to cabbot circus.. lol - there a very big night life in Bristol - loads of clubs - from very big - Motion, Pryzm, Thekla. to smaller alternative ones - fleece, lakota, apple, lola lo... that's off the top of my head -there are way more.. and I don't even go out there that much... there are many cocktail bars.. lots of stuff.

Many people I know wouldn't want to live in London - for many it's too big and overwhelming. And to say that anywhere but there in the UK is dead, other than simply wrong - is not at all representative of most people's feelings.
Original post by dock-leaf
I'm sorry, but this is absolute rubbish. Do you live in Bristol? I can only assume you haven't spent much time there.

- Bristol is the biggest city in the Southwest.
I'm there every other week, and Cabbot Circus is a shopping centre.. in terms of night life - nobody goes to cabbot circus.. lol - there a very big night life in Bristol - loads of clubs - from very big - Motion, Pryzm, Thekla. to smaller alternative ones - fleece, lakota, apple, lola lo... that's off the top of my head -there are way more.. and I don't even go out there that much... there are many cocktail bars.. lots of stuff.

Many people I know wouldn't want to live in London - for many it's too big and overwhelming. And to say that anywhere but there in the UK is dead, other than simply wrong - is not at all representative of most people's feelings.

I work in London and for past 3 years have visited my gf every weekend who lives in Bristol, so I've effectively lived in Bristol for like a year now.

The clubs in Bristol are pretty crap, nowhere as good as you would see in London. Anyway so what? They have nightclubs. So does every other city in the world. My point is there is nothing aboiut Bristol that makes it preferable to living in any other city in the UK.

I actually kinda feel sorry for you guys now. Humdrum Bristol is all you've ever known, so ofc you think it's great. It's not. You can see literally everything Bristol has to offer in one weekend.
(edited 7 years ago)
I work in London and for past 3 years have visited my gf every weekend who lives in Bristol.

The clubs in Bristol are pretty crap, nowhere as good as you would see in London.

I actually kinda feel sorry for you guys now. Humdrum Bristol is all you've ever known, so ofc you think it's great. It's not. You can see literally everything Bristol has to offer in one weekend.

Okay - so you're obviously comparing Bristol to London.. pretty self explanatory.. Point is a lot of people outside London would not want to live there.

Also I find it ironic that you say you feel sorry for 'us lot'... I personally view all that corporate crap, left, right and centre - Huge clubs, shopping centres everywhere, mass-media plastered in your face, people plugged there phones, ipads, laptops; artificial lifestyles - to be a mere distraction from what life is really about.
Okay - so you're obviously comparing Bristol to London.. pretty self explanatory.. Point is a lot of people outside London would not want to live there.

Also I find it ironic that you say you feel sorry for 'us lot'... I personally view all that corporate crap, left, right and centre - Huge clubs, shopping centres everywhere, mass-media plastered in your face, people plugged there phones, ipads, laptops; artificial lifestyles - to be a mere distraction from what life is really about.

What is life about then - farms and no phone reception?

:lol:
Bristol is more attractive than Nottingham. Nottingham has a better student vibe. London is down to individual taste, but it'll be the most different in terms of experience. Can't comment on Liverpool.
What is life about then - farms and no phone reception?

:lol:

Well I don't have experience of farm life, so i couldn't comment there.

But i'd say life was largely about thinking for yourself - rather than have the meaning of you existence and your thoughts handed to you by corporate monopolies; which is all to easy to allow, living places such as London.
Those are my thoughts - as you asked.
Nottingham... birmingham is good too :tongue:
Well I don't have experience of farm life, so i couldn't comment there.

But i'd say life was largely about thinking for yourself - rather than have the meaning of you existence and your thoughts handed to you by corporate monopolies; which is all to easy to allow, living places such as London.
Those are my thoughts - as you asked.

You laugh at me for thinking Bristol boring, when your beliefs are clearly much more cause for amusement.

You've pretty much just said everyone in London is a corporate drone who doesnt think for themselves and gets their identity from brands, products and corporations.

That is quite frankly a ridiculous notion.

It's also wrong, because big cities like London, New York, etc have the highest concentrations of free thinking, creative and individual minds you will find (if you need an example, Shoreditch in London, for example, has many of the free thinking, creative and individual spirits I speak of).

You think I have misconceptions about Bristol, but it's clearly you who are minsinformed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by trustmeimlying1
How would yee rank these as places to live in?

Appreciate your two cents on any

Go to the uni where you will get the best education & best career prospects.

Uni ou go to will be a decision that impacts rest of your life. Dont pick somewhere just because it will offer momentary bout of fun.
You laugh at me for thinking Bristol boring, when your beliefs are clearly much more cause for amusement.

You've pretty much just said everyone in London is a corporate drone who doesnt think for themselves and gets their identity from brands, products and corporations.

That is quite frankly a ridiculous notion.

It's also wrong, because big cities like London, New York, etc have the highest concentrations of free thinking, creative and individual minds you will find (if you need an example, Shoreditch in London, for example, has many of the free thinking, creative and individual spirits I speak of).

You think I have misconceptions about Bristol, but it's clearly you who are minsinformed.

No it was the comment that anywhere but London 'will send you to sleep' - which, in all honesty, is what most would expect a 'corporate drone' to say - and i'm sure most people in London don't think everywhere else in the UK would send them to sleep - so, nope - didn't make that assumption..

Yep, those cities are also those with the largest population concentrations too... so even if that was true - or, paradoxically, even possible to calculate - it would make logical sense...

Quick Reply

Latest