The Student Room Group

How hard really are A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

A Levels are only hard if you make them out to be hard. If you study consistently throughout the year and don't leave revision till last minute then they won't be hard. A Levels are like falling into a deep pit and crawling your way back out. But that's the thing - eventually you'll make it out if you work hard. It's one of the hardest exams you'll do in your life but it's not impossible.
Original post by Wan Hury
Wagwan. I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback of how life is like whilst studying for your A-levels. I'm starting them in September (hopefully) and I wanted to know what people think of it. I already know it's one of the toughest things anyone could ever do, but other than that, is there anything else? Thanks

Got 3 A*'s and 6 A's at GCSEs; I now do Chemistry, Business, Economics and Geography.

Really and truly there is no rocket science involved and the main difference is not so much the difficulty level, but the amount of effort you have to put in even for a concise four marker. My main advice having just 1/8 of my exams left is:

1. Know every key word/definition for all your subjects like the back of your hand. This is the most important thing - it accounts for like 12 marks for each exam (sciences, social sciences and finances)

2. Use a range of sources - reading your class notes is calm but you should invest in a variety of branded revision guides. For example for chemistry I have the OCR A textbook provided by school, the CGP guide which is the best brand for all A-Levels and the collins guide and workbook which are over complex and crap (for chemistry anyway). CGP saved my ass for both Chem and geo, especially the latter.

3. Do not think that all A*-B in GCSE will guarantee you the same at A-Level. There's a reason why it is called general certificate of secondary education compared to advanced level. There is also a reason why they say an A* at GCSE equals a D at A-Level.

4. Even if you hate your teacher, work work work work work work. They are not sitting the exam, you are. The only thing they want is their bonus. At GCSE you could hate the teacher, argue everyday and still get an A. This is most certainly not the case at A-Level.

My last piece of advice, and the most important after point no. 1, is to take subjects you like. You will put in the required effort needed for an A. There is no point in taking all the sciences and maths for example if you wanna be a doctor but you hate biology. Setting yourself up for failure.

roll safe my g
Original post by x-bhakti-patel
LOL, It is really hard though, I had to do a mock exam question for English Literature and it was really, really hard.

yes its really tough
Original post by Alevelhelp97
You'll be fine as long as you dont take english lol

What's so bad about English? I want to take it so tell me the worst now.
How hard would an A* in Further Maths be at A-Level? (Presuming some people here probably have obtained that grade)
Reply 165
Original post by 142701
currently revising for A2 lol it will be the death of me
WHATEVER YOU DO DONT TAKE CHEMISTRY

amen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got myself a 99p A*/A grade revision guide/notes of ebay and it covered the entire thing for my subjects and it was in note form so it was so easy to revise which made the courses so easy for me. The ebay sellers name is bargaindealsdev if you interested, you can enter it into google and it will come up and all their notes for a ton of subjects are all 99p. They also have other subjects which are good too :smile: Hope that helps
Reply 167
Uni is easier for me than my A-levels were and I'm not even joking.

Hope you're ready lol.
Original post by eden3
Uni is easier for me than my A-levels were and I'm not even joking.

Hope you're ready lol.

What subject do you do?
Reply 169
Original post by loveireandblog
What subject do you do?

Psychology. But then again I just finished first year and I've heard that second and third year are considerably harder, so I probably won't have as much free time.

Kind of like the jump between AS and A2.
HOW IS PSYCHOLOGY I WANT DO IT FOR A LEVEL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 171
Original post by Mrs.Grey

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can tell you what it's like at uni, but I didn't study it at A-level so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to help :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im doing the full a-level for it, but we are starting it after half term.
Original post by 142701
currently revising for A2 lol it will be the death of me
WHATEVER YOU DO DONT TAKE CHEMISTRY

Oh my god I wanted to write the exact same thing
I NEED TO TAKE BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY TO DO DENTISTRY WHAT THE **** AM I GOING TO DO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BECOME??? I love psychology and wanted to become a psychiatrist but I don't think I'd be successful with money especially in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 176
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BECOME??? I love psychology and wanted to become a psychiatrist but I don't think I'd be successful with money especially in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Psychiatrists are doctors so you would have to apply to study Medicine.

For Medicine, A-level Chemistry is a MUST, and 90% they want A-level Biology too. You wouldn't be able to become a psychiatrist by having a psychology degree.

But you can still do A-level Psychology if it interests you :wink:
What do you want to be tho considering you're doing a psychology degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wagwan. I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback of how life is like whilst studying for your A-levels. I'm starting them in September (hopefully) and I wanted to know what people think of it. I already know it's one of the toughest things anyone could ever do, but other than that, is there anything else? Thanks

They're fine so long as you work hard and focus on them. Get a good balance between working and relaxing in the beginning and maintain it, you can't really just cram in revision in the last 2/3 months before the exam with a levels, like you can with most GCSE's. So just work hard consistently and relax, try not to stress. They are much easier if you pass the first time (and don't have to go back to retake them). Good luck with everything!

It's legit you having to work from the minute you do your first lesson. revise over what you have gone over in that lesson and do that throughout the year. It means so when you come to exam time you're not over loaded. Also the topics ( A2) are ALOT longer ie sociology. In my opinion history isn't too hard, but then again that maybe becos I know all the dates. Anyways just be committed and remember it's up you and nothing is impossible.

Quick Reply

Latest