The Student Room Group

We are all amoral beings

Humans lack morality. Being moral is a fictional, unattainable quality. Most people say they have morals but in reality no-one follows them. My argument is that it is impossible for a human to follow a system of morality. In essence we are amoral beings. Discuss.

Definitions:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:bump:
Morality is dependent on perception. So for example, the morals of an Englishman are different to those of a Chinese person, but in the end, everybody follows their defined set of morals.

The difference is in our perceptions of different people's morals, and our differences allow some people to see themselves as morally superior beings, but if we strive to understand each other's morals, we might come to understand them.

In reality, we are not amoral beings.
we live in a society where 800 million people are starving, a similar number dont have access to water and either Trump or Clinton will become the most powerful western leader. Speaks for itself really.
Morality is not objective. People develop their own sense of morality and what is right or wrong to do, and there is no reason to say that all people cannot stick to the subjective code they come up with for themselves. If you want to argue that a person is physically unable to follow their own system you'll have to expand on your point.
Reply 5
Original post by Mathemagicien
Perhaps; but then I'd argue that nothing else does, not inferior animals, and not lifeless robots.

Agreed. Morality is but a fiction.

Original post by mghanduri
Morality is dependent on perception. So for example, the morals of an Englishman are different to those of a Chinese person, but in the end, everybody follows their defined set of morals.

The difference is in our perceptions of different people's morals, and our differences allow some people to see themselves as morally superior beings, but if we strive to understand each other's morals, we might come to understand them.

In reality, we are not amoral beings.

Apart from being racist, nothing that you have said contradicts my argument. You have not said why you think we are not amoral.

Original post by lolatmaths
we live in a society where 800 million people are starving, a similar number dont have access to water and either Trump or Clinton will become the most powerful western leader. Speaks for itself really.

The world isn't one society, but apart from that you may have a point (albeit not very pertinent).

Original post by Retired_Messiah
Morality is not objective. People develop their own sense of morality and what is right or wrong to do, and there is no reason to say that all people cannot stick to the subjective code they come up with for themselves. If you want to argue that a person is physically unable to follow their own system you'll have to expand on your point.

Ok, since you agree with me that morality is made up by individuals (btw you have not said why you disagree with me) then it is easy for me to argue that humans don't stick to their own subjective rules. And then one step to claim we are amoral.

P1. Humans act according to their own motivations
P2. There is no universal system that defines morality
C1. Morality is no different than any other human motivation
P3. Human motivations change all the time
C2. Morality changes all the time
P4. It is impossible for a human to follow something that changes all the time
C3a. It is impossible for a human to follow a system of morality
C3b. Humans are amoral beings
Original post by xylas

Ok, since you agree with me that morality is made up by individuals (btw you have not said why you disagree with me) then it is easy for me to argue that humans don't stick to their own subjective rules. And then one step to claim we are amoral.

P1. Humans act according to their own motivations
P2. There is no universal system that defines morality
C1. Morality is no different than any other human motivation
P3. Human motivations change all the time
C2. Morality changes all the time
P4. It is impossible for a human to follow something that changes all the time
C3a. It is impossible for a human to follow a system of morality
C3b. Humans are amoral beings

That's like saying that a function cannot be defined if its differential is non-zero. You follow your morality at each instance in time.
Original post by xylas
Humans lack morality. Being moral is a fictional, unattainable quality. Most people say they have morals but in reality no-one follows them. My argument is that it is impossible for a human to follow a system of morality. In essence we are amoral beings. Discuss.

Your evidence is what exactly?
It's attainable because we literally define it to be. It's a concept that we, as humans, define.
Reply 9
Original post by morgan8002
That's like saying that a function cannot be defined if its differential is non-zero. You follow your morality at each instance in time.

That makes no sense even if it is a weak analogy. I reject that humans can follow a system of morality at each instance of time.

Unless what you mean by "your morality" is a system that changes according to your own motivations in which case I agree (but this is hardly a system that anyone else would see as moral, i.e. it is an amoral system according to most definitions).

Original post by Plagioclase
Your evidence is what exactly?

What evidence do you require? Are you suggesting this is an empirical question? A simplified version of my argument with its main premises can be found in my previous post.

Original post by WhisperingTide
It's attainable because we literally define it to be. It's a concept that we, as humans, define.

Then I am always moral since I define my way of life to be moral. Got any issues with that?
Original post by xylas

Definitions:

Spoiler

There's no such thing as objective morality yes, i.e. there is no such thing as universal rights and wrongs that everyone fundamentally believes in. I know people will argue against this, typically referencing the Golden Rule, but there are numerous examples in history of people treating others in ways they would not like to be treated, and these people have reasons & motivations beyond just pure psycopathic desire for destruction, so the Golden Rule obviously falls down in these cases.

If we can assert a universal morality, I think the closest thing we could get is Nietzsche's proposition that "every living being strives to increase its power (The Will to Power)". And I know some people will argue against this saying so how do you explain things like martyrs and suicide bombers? But when you think about it those examples are some of the best examples of the Will to Power. Because when a terrorist blows himself up he typically does so with the belief that Allah will rewards him for his faith & actions and he will spend his eternity in heaven. So clearly he has acted with the aim of increasing his power. It doesnt make sense to us because that's not what we believe, but he is still very much acting with aim of increasing his power.

Anyway regarding morality in society, in every society that has existed, morality, i.e. what is considered right and wrong, has just been decided by those who are in power.In democracies, this power to decide morality is spread across greater numbers of people than has been in social systems in the past, but the the same principles still apply - the politicians enact policies & laws (i.e. morality) in accordance with the beliefs of their core voters, or policies that will have broadest appeal and secure their position in power.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xylas
What evidence do you require? Are you suggesting this is an empirical question? A simplified version of my argument with its main premises can be found in my previous post.

1. Of course it's an empirical question, you're making a statement about the physical world so it's utterly meaningless without some kind of evidence to support it.
2. I do not agree with your thought process. The only thing you've really said is that there's no such thing as objective morality, which is not the same thing as saying that humans are amoral.
Original post by lolatmaths

PRSOM
Reply 13
Original post by Nidhoggr
There's no such thing as objective morality yes. In every society that has existed, morality, i.e. what is considered right and wrong, has just been decided by those who are in power.

So following morality is the same as following laws or policies set by those in power? This would be classed as amoral behaviour according to most definitions.

1. Of course it's an empirical question, you're making a statement about the physical world so it's utterly meaningless without some kind of evidence to support it.
2. I do not agree with your thought process. The only thing you've really said is that there's no such thing as objective morality, which is not the same thing as saying that humans are amoral.

What evidence do you have for my statement being "utterly meaningless" according to you? I'll ask you again: what evidence do you require?

No, read my simplified argument and tell me which premise you disagree with. I said much more than there being no objective morality.
Whether or not it's true, I don't find the idea that humans are inherently immoral terribly useful. I hold myself to a system of morals; I don't follow them perfectly, but I try. As a result, I act in better, more beneficial ways. I have a happier life, and people around me have happier lives. It may well be that I am somehow deluding myself as to the attainability of my moral system; if I am, I don't really care.
Original post by xylas
What evidence do you have for my statement being "utterly meaningless" according to you? I'll ask you again: what evidence do you require?

No, read my simplified argument and tell me which premise you disagree with. I said much more than there being no objective morality.

You're the one making the positive statement, the burden of proof is on you. You said that everyone has morals but nobody follows them. So find out the moral code that people claim to follow and demonstrate that people then completely reject that moral code in practice. I disagree with statements P1, potentially C1 and P3, P4 is nonsense and therefore C3a and C3b are not substantiated. Your axioms are not based on evidence. Finding evidence to disprove your statements isn't my problem. A statement isn't correct by default until it's been disproven.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16

1. You're the one making the positive statement, the burden of proof is on you.

2. You said that everyone has morals but nobody follows them.

3. So find out the moral code that people claim to follow and demonstrate that people then completely reject that moral code in practice.

4. I disagree with statements P1, potentially C1 and P3, P4 is nonsense and therefore C3a and C3b are not substantiated.

5. Your axioms are not based on evidence. Finding evidence to disprove your statements isn't my problem. A statement isn't correct by default until it's been disproven.

1. Ok but this does not mean I need empirical evidence

2. No I didn't say everyone has morals

3. Which people do you want me to find? How many people would be sufficient? While we're at it why don't you tell me your moral code?

4. Ok what do humans act according to? You can't just reject something without a reason. Potential disagreement does not concern me, you need a good reason for disagreement otherwise you neither agree nor disagree.
Tell me why you think P4 is nonsense. Give me a single example of something a human follows that changes all the time. I am genuinely interested in what you will come up with.

5. I don't need or want evidence from you. The lack of empirical evidence does not automatically negate any of my points. You need reasons.

P.S. It's funny how you aren't asking for evidence for P2. Since you agree with this why don't you tell me the evidence by which you came to this conclusion!
I always thought the word was 'immoral' and I only clicked on here to find out what 'amoral' meant.
Reply 18
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Whether or not it's true, I don't find the idea that humans are inherently immoral terribly useful. I hold myself to a system of morals; I don't follow them perfectly, but I try. As a result, I act in better, more beneficial ways. I have a happier life, and people around me have happier lives. It may well be that I am somehow deluding myself as to the attainability of my moral system; if I am, I don't really care.

I didn't say "immoral" be careful with your words.

Nevertheless I agree that humans can try to follow morals but are never able to attain morality. I make no claims as to whether you can live a happy life following a moral system but this does not count against us being amoral. Also some people really do care about whether or not we are moral, especially religious people who believe in judgement and prophethood etc.

Original post by niv1234
I always thought the word was 'immoral' and I only clicked on here to find out what 'amoral' meant.

Glad this thread helped you in some way!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xylas
I didn't say "immoral" be careful with your words.

Nevertheless I agree that humans can try to follow morals but are never able to attain morality. I make no claims as to whether you can live a happy life following a moral system but this does not count against us being amoral. Also some people really do care about whether or not we are moral, especially religious people who believe in judgement and prophethood etc.

Glad this thread helped you in some way!

Thanks, its good to know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending