The Student Room Group

Should I try selling my old car or just scrap it?

I am getting a new car tomorrow and I still have my old Suzuki Ignis 2003 version. It does have a few faults such as the bonnet release wont work so you can't open the bonnet and I don't know how easily fixed that problem is and one of the back doors doesn't open from the inside. Its MOT runs out in July and I know it wont pass with those problems and I don't know if these are easy or cheap things to fix. Everything else with the car as far as I know is fine and in good condition. I also got new front springs on it about 6 months ago.

I'm just wondering if anyone would buy it with those faults or I am just better selling it to a scrappy. I've been told I could sell it for about £100 as spares/repairs but I don't know anything about cars so don't know what to do.
Its worth a shot at selling it.
If theres nothing wrong mechanically then you should be able to sell it with much difficulty. I dont think the faults you mentioned are too difficult to fix so that shouldnt be too much of an issue.
You say everything else with the car is in good condition so i wouldnt sell it as spares just yet.
Take it to a dealership and see what they say about it, or get someone to check it over and get them to give a price evaluation for it.
I hope his helps.

PS: What car are you getting?
Sell it not so mechanical should be easy to fix look online could take 30 mins and could sell the car for 500 !!?
Reply 3
Original post by FireFreezer77
Its worth a shot at selling it.
If theres nothing wrong mechanically then you should be able to sell it with much difficulty. I dont think the faults you mentioned are too difficult to fix so that shouldnt be too much of an issue.
You say everything else with the car is in good condition so i wouldnt sell it as spares just yet.
Take it to a dealership and see what they say about it, or get someone to check it over and get them to give a price evaluation for it.
I hope his helps.

PS: What car are you getting?

Ta for the advice :smile:
Just a second hand Ford Focus :smile: nothing fancy but its cheaper to run unlike the Suzuki and I am used to Fords after driving my stepdad's a lot in the past so it will be handing for practicing for my test in. Getting my stepdad's current car next yr when he upgrades so just looking for a cheap run around atm
Original post by Spock's Socks
Ta for the advice :smile:
Just a second hand Ford Focus :smile: nothing fancy but its cheaper to run unlike the Suzuki and I am used to Fords after driving my stepdad's a lot in the past so it will be handing for practicing for my test in. Getting my stepdad's current car next yr when he upgrades so just looking for a cheap run around atm

No worries :smile:
Ah a good choice. That helps then, cars arent cheap so the cheaper they are the better.
That will help you massively then. It will already be familiar to you so yes thats a good decision!
When is your test?
Ah i see, just something to get the job done until then.
Reply 5
No worries :smile:
Ah a good choice. That helps then, cars arent cheap so the cheaper they are the better.
That will help you massively then. It will already be familiar to you so yes thats a good decision!
When is your test?
Ah i see, just something to get the job done until then.

Test is 11th August :smile: the waiting lists to do a driving test in my area was 3/4 months! :eek:
Test is 11th August :smile: the waiting lists to do a driving test in my area was 3/4 months! :eek:

Ah ok still a little while to wait then.
It was the same here! So annoying isnt it!?
Do you think youre ready now, or will be by August?
Also thats my mums birthday too haha! :smile:
Reply 7
Ah ok still a little while to wait then.
It was the same here! So annoying isnt it!?
Do you think youre ready now, or will be by August?
Also thats my mums birthday too haha! :smile:

I think I am ready in theory for my test - I know all the things I have to know for it, I just need more time and practice getting everything right and building up some more confidence on the road and I'm hoping I'll be ready by August :smile: if not, I'm not gonna beat myself up about it. Trying to be as stress free as possible :tongue:
Reply 8
I've been offered £250 for the car on the local buy and sell sites on FB.
I think I am ready in theory for my test - I know all the things I have to know for it, I just need more time and practice getting everything right and building up some more confidence on the road and I'm hoping I'll be ready by August :smile: if not, I'm not gonna beat myself up about it. Trying to be as stress free as possible :tongue:

Apologies for the late response.
Thats good to hear! Its not too bad once you get in the test place, you should pass with no issues then!
Ah ok then, dont rush things!
But try to drive as much as you can. That will help massively!
Im sure youll be ready by August!
Aw no dont do that. Just try to stay positive and confident, and you should pass without incident. The test isnt that bad really, i was fairly relaxed once i started mine.
Yes thats the best thing to do

Also thanks for tagging me in your blog!
I shall read it all soon!!
I've been offered £250 for the car on the local buy and sell sites on FB.

Id take it to a dealership. I think theyll offer you more!
Id take it to a dealership. I think theyll offer you more!

Dealerships won't offer jack **** for a 2003 ignis with problems.

Put it on eBay with an honest description at 99p no reserve and you'll be surprised what you get for it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shaymarriott
Dealerships won't offer jack **** for a 2003 ignis with problems.

Put it on eBay with an honest description at 99p no reserve and you'll be surprised what you get for it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright calm down! Theyre not major problems and can be easily fixed!
I didnt say make the dealer buy it!
I said get an evaluation and see what they say, or even get a mechanic to see what they say!

Dont out it on ebay for 99p! That doesnt work!
Ive seen it done numerous times and it really doesnt end well!
Alright calm down! Theyre not major problems and can be easily fixed!
I didnt say make the dealer buy it!
I said get an evaluation and see what they say, or even get a mechanic to see what they say!

Dont out it on ebay for 99p! That doesnt work!
Ive seen it done numerous times and it really doesnt end well!

Already calm thanks! It's never going to sell for much, but the people most likely to give a few hundred for it are one eBay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am getting a new car tomorrow and I still have my old Suzuki Ignis 2003 version. It does have a few faults such as the bonnet release wont work so you can't open the bonnet and I don't know how easily fixed that problem is and one of the back doors doesn't open from the inside. Its MOT runs out in July and I know it wont pass with those problems and I don't know if these are easy or cheap things to fix. Everything else with the car as far as I know is fine and in good condition. I also got new front springs on it about 6 months ago.

I'm just wondering if anyone would buy it with those faults or I am just better selling it to a scrappy. I've been told I could sell it for about £100 as spares/repairs but I don't know anything about cars so don't know what to do.

it worth at least trying to sell it you might get lucky i did it with my dad's old car and made a bet that if i could get more than he could get from a scrap yard
then i could pocket the difference
it sold in 2 hours
i can't complain about making £40 an hour
I know its a long shot but its not a 1.5VVT sport is it? My pal is looking for a cheap one to do up a bit for his new rallycross motor. We would happily take it off your hands if it is! :smile:

Edit, failing that try shoving it on Gumtree for ~£500. Ive sold loads of motors that way.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending