The Student Room Group

Cluster bombs being used to murder Yemeni civilians

Cluster bombs are lethal weapons, dropped from the air to release smaller munition and cause maximum damage. 100 countries have ratified the Convention on Cluster Munitions, including the UK, which prohibits the use of these weapons regardless of the circumstance.

Yet Saudi Arabia appears to be using cluster bombs to kill Yemeni children which were manufactured in the UK. The impunity that the Saudi government (and a few others I can name) seem to enjoy is sickening :mad:

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/actions/british-cluster-bombs-yemen-saudi-arabia?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Mass&utm_campaign=Arms%20Control%20&utm_content=button2
Reply 1
I thought it was illegal to use let alone trade cluster bombs
Original post by M14B
I thought it was illegal to use let alone trade cluster bombs

It is, which is why our government needs to investigate why this is happening.
no no no no no no! They're muslims! Islam is the reason dont blame us!
Original post by roadmanchasin£
no no no no no no! They're muslims! Islam is the reason dont blame us!

Please keep nonsense like this out of my thread. This is about innocent people being slaughtered by a brutal, foreign regime. Their religion doesn't change a thing.
Original post by WBZ144
Please keep nonsense like this out of my thread. This is about innocent people being slaughtered by a brutal, foreign regime. Their religion doesn't change a thing.

Its satire, just mocking the general attitude of this forum. See why people havent responded?
The BL-755 is a 1970s weapon used off of the Tornado jet in this case (which the Saudis purchased in the 1980s). I'd be very curious when these weapons were sold to the RSAF. If it was before the UK signed the ban then the government can argue it's actually done nothing wrong. That still doesn't make the use of them right - unfortunately we're pretty much stuck supporting Middle Eastern nations who have unsavory aims & methods because they're the best of the worst.
According to Wikipedia, Saudi Arabia is only one of several users with questionable records - Iran, Zimbabwe & Serbia also have them apparently.
(edited 7 years ago)
As pointed out above. Its an old weapon and these are old stocks that they will have bought in the 80s when they werent illegal. The UK has signed the 2008 treaty against usage, but SA, UAE and USA have not. I like How Russia Today is bigging up the illegality, when its not a signatory to the treay.
Reply 8
Aside from noting that modern cluster bombs are a great deal safer than the older versions and have a far better rate for fewer duds I feel its worth pointing out the shells are a far bigger menace in this context.

Either way its still abhorrant least of all because of the weapon used but because that utterly revolting country that is Saudi Arabia iscommitting genocide with impunity. If they didn't sit on top of a lake of oil that country would have been reduced to blast glass eons ago-.-

Yemen was once a not to bad country indeed my parents visited Aden and Saan'a and thought them rather nice hell you used to be able to disembark the ships going to Suez at Aden in the night and enjoy the Baazar there. All this repugnant western policy of toppling these states has is to reduce them to rubble. the communist yemen [before reunification and the civil war] was incredibly progressive.
Original post by Napp
Aside from noting that modern cluster bombs are a great deal safer than the older versions and have a far better rate for fewer duds I feel its worth pointing out the shells are a far bigger menace in this context.

Either way its still abhorrant least of all because of the weapon used but because that utterly revolting country that is Saudi Arabia iscommitting genocide with impunity. If they didn't sit on top of a lake of oil that country would have been reduced to blast glass eons ago-.-

Yemen was once a not to bad country indeed my parents visited Aden and Saan'a and thought them rather nice hell you used to be able to disembark the ships going to Suez at Aden in the night and enjoy the Baazar there. All this repugnant western policy of toppling these states has is to reduce them to rubble. the communist yemen [before reunification and the civil war] was incredibly progressive.

Yep South Yemen, my country <3, one day we'll be free of the scum from the north.
Reply 10
Original post by Saeed9724
Yep South Yemen, my country <3, one day we'll be free of the scum from the north.

We can only pray for its liberation!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending