The Student Room Group

Assumptions people make about you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
That i'm arrogant, and that i'm italian/greek/spanish.

My family gets that a lot, mostly my sister. As she has dark curly hair, thick eyebrows and dark olive skin. She frequently gets people coming up to her and speaking to her in their language assuming she is from their country.

I remember on one occasion years ago being at a pub quiz with my sister, mum and my also quite Spanish looking cousin and coming back from the toilets and there was just this guy harassing them trying to get them to "admit" to being foreign....and then there is me like the whitest person on the planet. :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Either that im an arrogant and judgemental or im really shy and nerdy
Original post by SophieSmall
My family gets that a lot, mostly my sister. As she has dark curly hair, thick eyebrows and dark olive skin. She frequently gets people coming up to her and speaking to her in their language assuming she is from their country.

I remember on one occasion years ago being at a pub quiz with my sister, mum and my also quite Spanish looking cousin and coming back from the toilets and there was just this guy harassing them trying to get them to "admit" to being foreign....and then there is me like the whitest person on the planet. :lol:

Are you fully white?
Are you fully white?

Yeah, as far as I'm aware. My fathers side is welsh and my mothers side is Irish. We're not aware of any non white ancestors in our lineage.
Yeah, as far as I'm aware. My fathers side is welsh and my mothers side is Irish. We're not aware of any non white ancestors in our lineage.

Quite weird they have those features! Im sure they're not complaining haha
Quite weird they have those features! Im sure they're not complaining haha

Nah they don't really care, it's mostly my sister that gets it.

But it is funny standing my sister and I together side by side. We look very similar in face shape and bone structure but she is a good 5 shades darker than me so it looks quite odd.
Assumption: That I'm sweet, cheerful, childlike and never experienced anything bad ever.

Truth is I cared for my mother from the age of 9 when she was diagnosed with schizophrenia and went through her being sectioned, foster care then her getting physically ill and her dying in front of me 18 months ago. My parents were divorced and I found out my father died the night my mum did because I tried to phone him and let him know but I hadn't spoke to him in a long time but thought he should know. We weren't close at all. Then my mother's family were terrible to me and wouldn't let me have my mum's ashes and subjected me to emotional abuse in order to manipulate me. A year following my mum's death they finally let me have her ashes. Oh to add to this I have a chronic potentially life threatening condition to live with and take drugs which give me terrible side effects.
Nah they don't really care, it's mostly my sister that gets it.

But it is funny standing my sister and I together side by side. We look very similar in face shape and bone structure but she is a good 5 shades darker than me so it looks quite odd.

I wish me and my brother looked similar. He is short and white (he looks fully english even though he isnt) with curly hair where as i am olive skinned and id say about 5 shades lighter as well.. and wavy hair.
Original post by Anonymous
Assumption: That I'm sweet, cheerful, childlike and never experienced anything bad ever.

Truth is I cared for my mother from the age of 9 when she was diagnosed with schizophrenia and went through her being sectioned, foster care then her getting physically ill and her dying in front of me 18 months ago. My parents were divorced and I found out my father died the night my mum did because I tried to phone him and let him know but I hadn't spoke to him in a long time but thought he should know. We weren't close at all. Then my mother's family were terrible to me and wouldn't let me have my mum's ashes and subjected me to emotional abuse in order to manipulate me. A year following my mum's death they finally let me have her ashes. Oh to add to this I have a chronic potentially life threatening condition to live with and take drugs which give me terrible side effects.

This hurt to read :frown:
I wish me and my brother looked similar. He is short and white (he looks fully english even though he isnt) with curly hair where as i am olive skinned and id say about 5 shades lighter as well.. and wavy hair.

I wish we looked less alike, anywhere we go and see people it's just constant "ooooh you look so alike, I thought you were twins" (she's 5 years older).
If I don't shave (and maintain and groom my beard) people consider me a try-hard trying to compensate for my really short stature. If I do shave, I look like I'm 12/13 (I'm 18).

pretty different from everyone else and probably not true (at least the first one) :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
People used to assume that I was a quiet, goody-two-shoes, innocent little Muslim girl.

Then they get to know me and realise that I'm a filthy minded, not so innocent (exmuslim) athiest who likes her alcohol and doesn't mind pork hotdogs. Oh, and I drop f-bombs like nobody's business.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Imperion
:mmm: Even more convinced :teehee:

Weren't the gypsies and slavs persecuted by the Nazis?
Thats what my friends think of me as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
Never had the same experience, you sure it's not something else? Maybe because you consider yourself to be the top student?

Nah, that wouldn't be the case, because I don't disclose my marks to anybody and I only focus on the work and only speak to my friends during break and lunch and we seldom talk about school life.

It wouldn't be very nice to consider other students inferior. What I had meant though is that I aim high and I score high.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending