The Student Room Group

Taking the supposedly 4 hardest A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samii123
When did you start revision and hour many hours a day do you usually do?

Not quite sure. Probably about a month before i started a little bit, but only seriously about 2 weeks b4. At first maybe 3 hours a day then about 5 during exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you prioritise your time well and basically start exam prep super early, then I think you'll be fine. Just make sure you do not fall behind or miss any lessons. Biology is very easy to understand, it's just memorising the content which is key.
Original post by SGHD26716
I do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and Biology

Maths and FM are fine. Just practice and you know what to do.
Chemistry has got lots of calculations in it but is also fine. Easier than biology

Biology is the worst. Just too much content. I remember skimming through my condensed notes took over 2 hours.

Chemistry is good because you apply knowledge, which to me is more rewarding.

don't do maths anymore (and never did FM but I agree on biology and chemistry 100%, I never understand why people say biology is easier - it has soooo much content and the exam questions are a lot harder for me- for chemistry you can work out the answer rather than having to memorise ridiculous amounts of information which I prefer. People are also saying stuff about languages- I take a language and for me it's pretty straightforward, but I think it obviously depends on your teacher and whether or not languages come naturally to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?

You underestimate additional further maths. It's much harder than maths and physics. I'm sure for people who aren't so good at maths it's harder than biology and chemistry too.
I did the ones you're doing, among others. It's not really that vigorous or that difficult.
(edited 7 years ago)
In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?

Hmm sometimes I think whether sciences are actually the hardest, because the thing is it's just the knowledge and you've got to just learn it all. It's not like subjects English where you get marked according to whether your essays are perceptive or not. With sciences and maths there's a set answer which is good, other subjects don't have that. Oh I wish I'd done sciences
Reply 105
Original post by morgan8002
You underestimate additional further maths. It's much harder than maths and physics. I'm sure for people who aren't so good at maths it's harder than biology and chemistry too.
I did the ones you're doing, among others. It's not really that vigorous or that difficult.

I figured that people would have different strengths and weaknesses at A-level but I am just going on what most people have said. Also I forgot about including further maths and it still could be a possibility for me.
Reply 106
Original post by tryrevise
don't do maths anymore (and never did FM but I agree on biology and chemistry 100%, I never understand why people say biology is easier - it has soooo much content and the exam questions are a lot harder for me- for chemistry you can work out the answer rather than having to memorise ridiculous amounts of information which I prefer. People are also saying stuff about languages- I take a language and for me it's pretty straightforward, but I think it obviously depends on your teacher and whether or not languages come naturally to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, topics like ionisation energy trends, general periodicity you can just work out. Proper application of knowledge.
Reply 107
Original post by shazy2014
Hmm sometimes I think whether sciences are actually the hardest, because the thing is it's just the knowledge and you've got to just learn it all. It's not like subjects English where you get marked according to whether your essays are perceptive or not. With sciences and maths there's a set answer which is good, other subjects don't have that. Oh I wish I'd done sciences

I guess that being less subjective is an advantage for my choices. You could revise all you want for English but your essay grade could vary greatly which is why I really don't enjoy essay subjects.
Original post by Shumaya
Maths and biology are easy in my opinion

Chem's easier than biol.
Original post by The_JoKeR
I'm in year 10 and they just started me on AS Chemistry in separate lessons. It doesn't seem too bad content-wise to be honest

Out of curiosity can I ask why you would be doing AS chemistry when you are what, 14, 15? Lmao
Reply 110

Please don't listen to other people who say that they're 'the hardest subjects'. It's very much subjective, as I'm sure you can tell yourself. I do Further Maths and I'd consider it one of my easier A-Levels - Would someone who got a C at GCSE Maths think FM is relatively easy? Probably not. English Lit would be one of the hardest A-Levels for me, but that's because essay subjects aren't my forte. Would the next Seamus Heaney in the making think the same thing? Probably not.

As long as you find them okay, and you work a decent amount, just as you would have to if you took any other combination of subjects, then you will be okay.
Reply 111
Maths and physics will overlap nicely especially if you do M1, M2, M3… maybe ask to do M1 for AS and M2 for A2, usually it's S1 & M1 (m is mechanics and S is statistics)

From what I've heard chemistry and biology overlap nicely as well but not as much as maths and physics
Reply 112
Original post by zayn008
Maths and physics will overlap nicely especially if you do M1, M2, M3… maybe ask to do M1 for AS and M2 for A2, usually it's S1 & M1 (m is mechanics and S is statistics)

From what I've heard chemistry and biology overlap nicely as well but not as much as maths and physics

At the college I am going to, if you choose maths it has to be in conjunction with something else, i.e. mechanics or statistics. I chose maths with mechanics so I will be doing the M1 and M2 modules which will definitely aid me in physics.
Original post by XcitingStuart
Chem's easier than biol.

I didn't do chemistry. But from what I heard from my friends, it sounds a lot harder! Biology (the AS at least. I dropped it after AS) just tested your ability to memorise mark schemes.
And that is your opinion. I have not taken the subjects as of now so I am yet to form my own.

no that was fact actually
Original post by sunshine774
Just of out of curiousity- which ones?

off the top of my head: fmaths, physics, chemistry, additional further maths, history, a traditional language (german, french)
Reply 116

I graduated from Sixth Form with those 4 sets of subjects and im still alive and well HAHA (i think). Generally, If you focus in class, you'd do fine. Its pretty manageable once you get your routines organized. The workload is alright. Maths and Physics sort of complement each other very well so i made the assumption in my head that they were just one big subject during my A-Levels.

But mind you it gets pretty hectic during exam season as you'd be taking more papers than most people and whats worse is when there are exam timetable clashes.

But its not impossible and I achieved grades that I didn't think I could've gotten and it felt good. At the end of the road, you'd feel like you've mastered all the three natural sciences. Even along the way, you could sort of pinpoint which two sciences you love and build your career dreams from there (I took the three sciences because I honestly didnt want to give up learning either one of them).
Reply 117
Original post by MAS98
I graduated from Sixth Form with those 4 sets of subjects and im still alive and well HAHA (i think). Generally, If you focus in class, you'd do fine. Its pretty manageable once you get your routines organized. The workload is alright. Maths and Physics sort of complement each other very well so i made the assumption in my head that they were just one big subject during my A-Levels.

But mind you it gets pretty hectic during exam season as you'd be taking more papers than most people and whats worse is when there are exam timetable clashes.

But its not impossible and I achieved grades that I didn't think I could've gotten and it felt good. At the end of the road, you'd feel like you've mastered all the three natural sciences. Even along the way, you could sort of pinpoint which two sciences you love and build your career dreams from there (I took the three sciences because I honestly didnt want to give up learning either one of them).

It's good to hear that you coped well with it, what did you get for your grades at the end of A2?
People saying Biology is just memerising havent done the new course. Its much harder now just like all the sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely what matters more is how hard you find the subject than the average person?

E.g. I would have found 4 essay based subjects 10 x harder than four science subjects. Saying Further Maths is the hardest A Level doesn't really mean much if you're good at maths and bad at say English.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest