The Student Room Group

why do people think this about veganism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
I disagree. They are both excreted during the menstrual cycle. Titties and udders are both mammary glands.

How can you be rational with people like this

It's a ridiculous analogy.

Does't make them the same, again ridiculous analogy.

Why do you feel the need to anthropomorphise these things?

She's not wrong, a lot of vegans are idiots, just as a lot of meat eaters are. And I'd agree with her that posters like that do make the vegans who post them look idiotic.

Being a vegan doesn't make you stupid. Posting ridiculously factually incorrect nonsense does.
(edited 7 years ago)
I despair whenever these threads pop up. So many ignorant meat-eaters and just stupid people in general :colondollar:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Because a lot of vegans are idiots

Like wtf even is this? Disgusting comparison.

Not really.. what's the difference? Animals have thoughts/feelings/sense of pain etc. and the basic right to live; why should a human be able to take that away from them when they have alternative choices which don't involve cashing out on animals?
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
I watched the whole of the video, and indeed I do disagree with it. I study A2 psychology, and one of the units is on eating behaviour and food preferences. Every single one of my A Level text books states humans are omnivores and that meat eating is normal and beneficial to human health, backed up by studies. Why would these scientific books contain 'wrong' information on a subject like this? I'm planning on writing about this exam, and it will be marked correct. That's enough evidence I need in my view

With a massive amount of studies showing red/processed meat increased risk of bowl cancer? Dietary cholesterol from animal products linked to heart disease and stroke?

It is indeed "wrong" information so either these are extremely outdated textbooks (they thought smoking didn't affect your health for years) or you aren't telling the truth.
Being natural= how it is supposed to be.

That doesn't follow at all. You're trying to derive what we ought to do, or what we are "supposed" to do, from what is natural. That's not a valid argument. You're still committing a fallacious appeal to nature.

Humans are naturally omnivorous and so eating meat is natural, therefore an omnivore diet is better. Other species thrive best on their natural type of diet.

You're now making a claim about health, but once again, as the American Dietetic Association has stated:

appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.

My original point was it is unfair to force and unnatural and restrictive diet onto a child, a point I still stand by.

It's unfair to confine, transport and slaughter animals for their flesh or other products when you can be just as healthy on a vegan diet.

I'm not saying it's an all-or-nothing thing, it's just a spectrum. Reducing meat consumption (reducetarianism, as they call it) is good (particularly chicken and egg consumption, because chickens bear the brunt of a lot of the suffering); going vegetarian is even better (going lacto-vegetarian means you've cut out most of the suffering); and going vegan is just another step forward.

I haven't answered the questions in the same way you haven't directly answered mine.

What questions haven't I answered?

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Because a lot of vegans are idiots

Like wtf even is this? Disgusting comparison.

Can you explain why the comparison is invalid, though? Speciesism is to discount the interests of and discriminate against certain beings because of the species they belong to, just as racism is to discount the interests of and discriminate against certain beings because of the 'race' they belong to.

If we treated human infants or severely intellectually disabled humans in the way in which we treat nonhuman animals, there would be outrage, and rightly so, despite the fact that these two groups of humans are demonstrably less intelligent than the animals we rear for meat. The fact that we would react differently to humans being treated this way is indicative of a speciesist outlook.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gr8wizard10
looking dapper there bud, what do you aspire to do as a career?

Thanks, I'm thinking of modelling for Calvin Klein.

Lol not really, I aspire to go into investment banking.
Original post by SophieSmall
Especially for some people who have a bunch of food intolerances.

One of my housemates was really unfortunate in his health lottery, he is intolerant to so many food groups. Including soy which is found in many vegan alternatives. Going shopping for him is a bit of a nightmare he has to check the ingredients of everything along with where they were made (as some of his intolerances are very sensitive) and 9/10 anything he picks up will have at least one of the food types in it.

The safest foods for him that he can continuously eat without having to worry about whether he is getting enough calories and nutrition and not getting ill is meat, potatoes and fruit.

my ex was allergic to egg to the point he would need an epi-pen if he ate it.
starbursts have egg in it
Original post by Serpentine111
I despair whenever these threads pop up. So many ignorant meat-eaters and just stupid people in general :colondollar:

And vegans/vegetarians wonder why people don't like them...
And vegans/vegetarians wonder why people don't like them...

LOL you're making this seem so much "you against us" when it isn't. I've never wondered why people don't vegans/vegetarians: frankly I don't care. Those who don't like us are the people who mindlessly stuff parts of an animals corpse into their mouths :colondollar:

Often meat-eaters start raging and hating because it reveals an insecurity because they know it's wrong but they continue anyway under the grounds "veganism is too expensive", "I have medical conditions meaning I have to eat meat or I'll be iron deficient" etc.
Original post by viddy9
That doesn't follow at all. You're trying to derive what we ought to do, or what we are "supposed" to do, from what is natural. That's not a valid argument. You're still committing a fallacious appeal to nature.

You're now making a claim about health, but once again, as the American Dietetic Association has stated:

It's unfair to confine, transport and slaughter animals for their flesh or other products when you can be just as healthy on a vegan diet.

I'm not saying it's an all-or-nothing thing, it's just a spectrum. Reducing meat consumption (reducetarianism, as they call it) is good (particularly chicken and egg consumption, because chickens bear the brunt of a lot of the suffering); going vegetarian is even better (going lacto-vegetarian means you've cut out most of the suffering); and going vegan is just another step forward.

What questions haven't I answered?

And what is the difference between what we are 'supposed' to do and what is natural? I thought they were the same? I and my A Level Psychology books agree it is a perfectly valid argument. Why deliberately go against nature?

There is evidence both for and against animal product free life styles. So I don't think putting out specifically chosen studies in favour of is particularly helpful. I wonder how many people actually follow and enjoy a 'well-planned' vegan diet.

I put the welfare of my kids first, in every sense. They want to eat KFC as a special treat for their birthday? Then that's what they can have. That's how many parents raised me and I'm nowhere near overweight. Humans typically eat meat and they can be perfectly healthy on this diet (as they have been for thousands of years) so why change it? I don't want my children seen as being 'different' and ostracised over something that is optional.

And lastly, even in just one of the recent examples you completely ignored my point about how human babies cannot even walk at that age and instead asked me a totally unrelated question about 'titty milk' which I don't feel obliged to answer.
Original post by Serpentine111
LOL you're making this seem so much "you against us" when it isn't. I've never wondered why people don't vegans/vegetarians: frankly I don't care. Those who don't like us are the people who mindlessly stuff parts of an animals corpse into their mouths :colondollar:

Often meat-eaters start raging and hating because it reveals an insecurity because they know it's wrong but they continue anyway under the grounds "veganism is too expensive", "I have medical conditions meaning I have to eat meat or I'll be iron deficient" etc.

'Mindlessly stuff parts of an animals corpse into their mouths' do you expect me to take you seriously when you phrase things like that? Every single time I have discussions it comes down to downright silly comments like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
It's a ridiculous analogy.

Does't make them the same, again ridiculous analogy.

Why do you feel the need to anthropomorphise these things?

She's not wrong, a lot of vegans are idiots, just as a lot of meat eaters are. And I'd agree with her that posters like that do make the vegans who post them look idiotic.

Being a vegan doesn't make you stupid. Posting ridiculously factually incorrect nonsense does.

Jesus Christ. They are not ridiculous analogies. Stop using more pathetic excuses to turn down veganism just because people say titties instead of udders. Grow up

"Factually incorrect nonsense"
I didn't say they were facts, I said they were analogies. Why don't you talk about the facts I brought up about animal agriculture being the biggest contributor to species extinction and green house gas emissions.
The most annoying thing about vegans is that they try to force their idealogy on others

Posted from TSR Mobile
'Mindlessly stuff parts of an animals corpse into their mouths' do you expect me to take you seriously when you phrase things like that? Every single time I have discussions it comes down to downright silly comments like that.

How is that silly. Do you rather we say beef or pork, to sugarcoat for what it actually is, an animal corpse.

"Asked me a totally unrelated question about 'titty milk' which I don't feel obliged to answer."

Again another time you don't answer a question because you can't answer it. Drinking another species milk is not natural, so you can't use the appeal to nature fallacy.
And what is the difference between what we are 'supposed' to do and what is natural? I thought they were the same? I and my A Level Psychology books agree it is a perfectly valid argument. Why deliberately go against nature?

No, they're not the same. It's also "natural" to propagate your genes, but there are plenty of ways of doing that that are completely unthical. I don't see what an A-Level psychology textbook has to do with any of this (an A-Level philosophy textbook would say quite clearly that equating what is natural with what we are supposed to do is fallacious).

If you could quote the passage from your Psychology textbook, that would be good.

There is evidence both for and against animal product free life styles. So I don't think putting out specifically chosen studies in favour of is particularly helpful. I wonder how many people actually follow and enjoy a 'well-planned' vegan diet.

It wasn't a specifically chosen study: it was a review of the evidence (i.e. all of the studies conducted on vegan lifestyles) by experts in the field.

I put the welfare of my kids first, in every sense. They want to eat KFC as a special treat for their birthday? Then that's what they can have. That's how many parents raised me and I'm nowhere near overweight. Humans typically eat meat and they can be perfectly healthy on this diet (as they have been for thousands of years) so why change it?

Why change it? Because it's unethical to inflict unnecessary suffering on other sentient beings. Again, do you believe that confining, transporting and slaughtering humans (say, human infants and severely intellectually disabled humans) is wrong, and if so why? Do you believe that inflicting unnecessary suffering on others is wrong? Do you believe that we should be reducing the amount of greenhouse gas emissions we emit?

Basically, if you care about ethics and the environment, that's a reason to change it. If you believe that we should lower food prices in the developing world (which are artificially high because a lot of the grain grown in the developing world is shipped over to the West to feed the animals so that rich Westerners can eat their meat), that's a reason to change it. If you're a psychopath who doesn't think anything is right or wrong, you'll see no reason to change it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Phase things like what? Meat is flesh from a dead (obviously) animal i.e. a corpse. Just because it's cut into slices and packaged nicely doesn't change that fact - although it certainly makes it easier to become desensitised to it, right?

Please explain why it's a "silly comment". Fact is that most meat-eaters don't think beyond what they see in supermarkets: they don't think about how much the animals have suffered, they just think about the chicken curry or steak they're going to make and how they're going to season it.
Original post by Jkylhyd
The most annoying thing about vegans is that they try to force their idealogy on others

Posted from TSR Mobile

The most annoying thing about meat eaters is how they support the slaughter of hundreds of billions of animals every year..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Justmoll28
why do you think they are weird? :smile:

not weird for me personally, but, vegans are really ****ing annoying usually

it feels like they're going to have a stroke if they dont mention to you they're a vegan at least once a day
Original post by Jkylhyd

Posted from TSR Mobile If you saw someone in the park beating a dog would you ignore it and let them do what they want or would you try and 'force your ideology' onto them by trying to stop them? Do you also consider anti smoking adverts as people forcing their ideology onto others? A lot of people don't realise that they are indirectly causing unnecessary suffering/toture of animals. I agree that people can do whatever they like UNLESS it causes harm to others. Eating meat/dairy causes billions of animals to suffer every year AND causes millions of people to die from heart disease/stroke e.t.c
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by popcornjpg
not weird for me personally, but, vegans are really ****ing annoying usually

it feels like they're going to have a stroke if they dont mention to you they're a vegan at least once a day

How many vegans do you know in real life? Yes there are some annoying vegans just like there are also annoying non-vegans and annoying British people. What you're doing is called stereotyping.

Quick Reply

Latest