The Student Room Group

What projects can I do to show Uni Interviewers?

I'm going in as a mature student and I'm trying to come up with some sort of portfolio.
I've got fairly good knowledge of HTML and CSS so I was thinking of creating a website. I run my own restaurant and I was thinking of creating a website for it.
I also started a project last year building a Java game and got 60% of it done so was going to finish that off.
I've built a few PC's so I was going to create a Blog to showcase some of my work I could show them.
I have a tiny bit of knowledge on Python so was going to read up on it and try create a small game.
I'm pretty good with Photoshop as well and used it to create menus and banners but i'm not sure that's relevant.
The only thing which is I think could let me down is my work history as I've only worked in this restaurant and sainsbury's. I did work as a game tester but that was only for 4 months.

What should I do/create that will impress them? Also is the stuff I'm thinking of doing going to help?
Original post by MrBigMoney

What should I do/create that will impress them? Also is the stuff I'm thinking of doing going to help?

Get the best of both worlds.
Create an online portfolio of your work (pc builds, previous experience etc)

Best thing is, if its coded by you, you can explain that you made it and its a demonstration of your skills.
Include graphical work, example code you've created, PC Builds and the finished product and potentially show clips of your game working.

It shows the interviewer you have direct skills relating to your course, atleast the aptitude for coding - expressing you know Java is relevant to most uni courses so they'll love that!

Even if it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt and it shows you're dedicated to going to the university for spending all that time on it.
Regardless, you'll come out with an online portfolio you can just update and store all your work experience etc on.
Reply 2
Original post by CyberJake
Get the best of both worlds.
Create an online portfolio of your work (pc builds, previous experience etc)

Best thing is, if its coded by you, you can explain that you made it and its a demonstration of your skills.
Include graphical work, example code you've created, PC Builds and the finished product and potentially show clips of your game working.

It shows the interviewer you have direct skills relating to your course, atleast the aptitude for coding - expressing you know Java is relevant to most uni courses so they'll love that!

Even if it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt and it shows you're dedicated to going to the university for spending all that time on it.
Regardless, you'll come out with an online portfolio you can just update and store all your work experience etc on.

Thanks for the info
How do you think I should style the website? Like a blog?
I'm not sure how to create a website portfolio
Thanks for the info
How do you think I should style the website? Like a blog?
I'm not sure how to create a website portfolio

It's not mine but I think this one is pretty good --> http://jakewright.net/ Just a quick introduction, your skills and then link to your projects.
Reply 4
Original post by Jabberjay_
It's not mine but I think this one is pretty good --> http://jakewright.net/ Just a quick introduction, your skills and then link to your projects.

Nice
What did you type in to find that? Need some more ideas
Nice
What did you type in to find that? Need some more ideas

Search 'Jake Wright' on youtube, he vlogged at cambridge doing computer science.
Reply 6
Original post by Jabberjay_
Search 'Jake Wright' on youtube, he vlogged at cambridge doing computer science.

Oh no I meant how did you find his website.
Did you type in something like online portfolio or were you already following him on youtube?
Oh no I meant how did you find his website.
Did you type in something like online portfolio or were you already following him on youtube?

Via youtube.

Quick Reply

Latest