The Student Room Group

Maths stats or maths mechanics

I'm taking maths next year and I'm a little torn over whether to do stats or mechanics. Im going to do bio, physics and chem too, a lot of people say mechanics complements physics well but from experience have you actually found its all that necessary/helpful? Because I'm swayed towards stats at the moment but if mechanics would make other subjects easier i would seriously consider
Original post by .cat.
I'm taking maths next year and I'm a little torn over whether to do stats or mechanics. Im going to do bio, physics and chem too, a lot of people say mechanics complements physics well but from experience have you actually found its all that necessary/helpful? Because I'm swayed towards stats at the moment but if mechanics would make other subjects easier i would seriously consider

I did mechanics as part of AS Maths, and doing statistics this year as part of A2 Maths. I did phyisics AS last year, and mechanics did complement physics well. I found the mechanics content in physics easier to learn as I covered it before in mechanics. I can't say too much for A2 Physics though, I dropped physics at the begining of year 13.
I prefer stats tbh as well as doing Physics , i do further maths too :smile:
Original post by .cat.

Physics mechanics is an absolute joke compared to maths mechanics, it basically means that there is a relatively large part of as physics which is just the easy questions off a maths mechanics paper.
Reply 4
Original post by samb1234
Physics mechanics is an absolute joke compared to maths mechanics, it basically means that there is a relatively large part of as physics which is just the easy questions off a maths mechanics paper.

So would doing maths mechanics really help?? In your opinion ??
Original post by .cat.
So would doing maths mechanics really help?? In your opinion ??

The physics mechanics is easy enough that you could get by without doing maths mechanics, but if you do do maths mechanics then essentially a whole topic of physics you will already know, plus stats is very dull imo so if you are doing physics then i would probably recommend mechanics
Reply 6
Original post by samb1234
The physics mechanics is easy enough that you could get by without doing maths mechanics, but if you do do maths mechanics then essentially a whole topic of physics you will already know, plus stats is very dull imo so if you are doing physics then i would probably recommend mechanics

Thank you so much
Original post by .cat.

M1 and M2 basically cover the same content as Physics, so they are helpful because of that, and fairly interesting modules if you like the subject. S1 is boring, annoying, and won't help you with anything. S2 is more interesting (if you like stats). I would choose mechanics.
So far I've done S1, S2 and M1, and mechanics is by far the easiest and my favourite, and I hate physics. Stats just seems like you're guessing the method all the time, and the mark schemes seem to change their mind on what's right. Can't say anything about M2 though.

Quick Reply

Latest