The Student Room Group

64% of TSR want to remain in the EU... share your vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Naveed-7
I think this thread poll is rigged/fake. It probably IS, since it has been posted by a TSR mod who is voting and encouraging for remain vote.
I think this is definitely rigged.
Another proof is that you cant see who voted, whereas in the other poll, you can.

Look at the results on the other poll, which are very different:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4017243

Original post by Blyat
Agreed, this does look rigged, nowhere near the amount of representation you'd find on the forums and as you say, doesn't align with any of the other polls

It was done last year as a referendum for the MHoC making it a secret ballot and all members were made aware of it via a mass PM.

If we're talking about this thread, it's trended a lot and I think was promoted on the home page for a while too. And if it were rigged they would give the results they do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
As it's very likely that I would like to study languages at university and have the year abroad somewhere in the EU, I would like to stay. I don't really like the uncertainty which follows if we leave, and the grants that are already in place for EU students are very beneficial and losing them will just put me in more debt in the future.
Original post by george_c00per
As it's very likely that I would like to study languages at university and have the year abroad somewhere in the EU, I would like to stay. I don't really like the uncertainty which follows if we leave, and the grants that are already in place for EU students are very beneficial and losing them will just put me in more debt in the future.

A year abroad is covered under Erasmus, yes? Which will likely be maintained, it already covered a great number of non-EU states, and it is hard to believe that the other participants wouldn't want to be able to send their students easily to UK universities, especially when looking at the global rankings there are 7 UK universities above the first non UK EU university.

There are a lot of EU based schemes that you don't need to be in the EU for, you only have to either reciprocate and/or pay for specific things, such as what Norway and Iceland do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are all students this selfish?
Original post by plstudent
But they are counted as European immigrants. Anybody with an EU passport that migrates by using EU laws is a European immigrant in the statistics. Almost half of the net migration to the UK is made up of EU migrants and that includes all sorts of people like Romanian gypsies, ethnic Bulgarians, Germans, former refugees with passports, etc.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/390438/We-want-a-bigger-house-Demand-Romanian-family-of-17-on-55k-in-benefits

That is what the EU is doing now and has been doing for years. Farage and others have already told them to adopt an Australian strategy but they have repeatedly and explicitly refused.

[video="youtube;oKq_1mGeZXc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKq_1mGeZXc[/video]

There will be no changes and Federica Mogharini, by the way, is a former communist party member.

What law are you talking about? How many companies would be affected? The EU cannot possibly legislate for the whole of Europe anyway, as many European countries are outside of it like Russia, Switzerland, Norway, Belarus and in our hypothetical case the UK.

Every single country in the world has access to the single market. You don't need to be in the EU for that. There is a free trade area from Iceland to Turkey now and nobody seriously believes the UK would be left out if it voted leave.

Like in any negotiation, both parties would use their leverage and negotiate terms that suit them. It is deceiving to say the UK would have 0 influence.

Precisely because the UK is the biggest export market and a big contributor, the EU won't afford to ignore GB.

Do you think a wife should remain with an abusive husband just because he threatens to beat her up? I would never condone such mentality.

They will be joining sooner or later. They are officially in the process of joining and the Turkish government is pushing for accession. Recently the EU has made Turkish an official language and agreed to give visa free access to all Turks. Most EU figures are for Turkish accession, including Cameron, Merkel and Schulz. And before you say "that will be many years from now" let me ask you this: if you think it is hard to leave the EU now, how hard do you think it will be in the future with most new laws coming from the EU each year?

Polls show 12 million Turks would consider moving to Britain once they joined and there is absolutely nothing the UK could do to stop them.

In colonial America, people shared a common purpose and a common history in the new world. They didn't have vastly different histories, languages and ethnic differences like in Europe.

Tuscan is a dialect, but Italic languages had profound similarities. Germans also have dialects, etc. This is more similar to the situation in America with English than to a situation where you are trying to unify Turkish and Swedish speakers.

The EU is not being imposed democratically. If the peoples in the different member states were asked if they want to give up control to a multinational entity in Brussels and slowly become a single people, culture, country, etc they would reject the idea strongly. This is why the EU works little by little, as Juncker openly admits.

junxckerlies.jpg.11015848_1607951962775736_6929479405033354731_n.jpg

Let me ask you this question: if the UK was not already a member of the EU, and the question was whether the UK should join today, do you think most people would vote to join?

Here is a hint: about 72% of Norwegians and 80% of the Swiss answer no to that question.

Daily Star- seriously?!

Anyway, I think a deal could be negotiated to reduce migration with the EU as a special case. In that case, would you be willing to stay?
Original post by thelegend99
Daily Star- seriously?!

Anyway, I think a deal could be negotiated to reduce migration with the EU as a special case. In that case, would you be willing to stay?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2702493/Romanian-family-17-lied-house-live-three-bedroom-London-semi-home-55-000-year-benefits.html

If a deal could be negotiated to cut migration, why didn't Cameron do so? It was supposed to be the main part of the renegotiations. They are never going to give in there if the vote is remain because they wouldn't even give in with the threat of withdrawing support in a referendum.

But to answer your question, I would still favor leave, because I dislike big states made up of very different people and handing over power to a foreign entity. Better to have your representatives close to have more accountability. I do not want to make the UK irrelevant as a country, which is the inevitable consequence of the ever expanding number of EU laws and the legal principle that they are supreme..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thelegend99
Daily Star- seriously?!

You mean like Cameron wanted to and couldn't get even under threat of leaving?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vote out.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 348
Original post by CleverSquirrel
To be honest, leaving the EU makes more sense than staying in, we spend soo much for just staying the EU alone, there more benefits for leaving than staying in :yep:

There are huge benefits to leaving, from lower energy costs, taxes, ability to negotiate better trade deals etc.

Also, Europe has no willingness to stem the accelerating tide of migrants from Africa & the Middle East. As the population in Africa doubles to 2 billion before 2050, Europe's welfare systems will be overrun with people heading over.

Original post by TrueDetective01

So I'm selfish because leaving might have a direct effect on me? Ok then :smile:
So I'm selfish because leaving might have a direct effect on me? Ok then :smile:

Yup, pretty much. The world doesn't revolve around you, mate :smile:
Original post by Jammy Duel
You mean like Cameron wanted to and couldn't get even under threat of leaving?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that one :P. You have to be extremely naive if dodgy Dave wants to try that with his EU overlords.

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I'm particularly interested in animal treatment and these are just a few realities of what the EU allows. EU funds farmers who breed bulls for bullfighting. They allow live animals to be transported across Europe in trucks - we have to go along with that. They allowed a dog cull in Romania, where thousands of dogs were starved and beaten to death. They allowed boats used for killing whales into British waters which we can't refuse.

Our farmers go by rules which are typically more humane than many other countries in the EU, whilst other countries can source cheap meat mostly due to their weak standards.

I can supply links for these events if anybody wants them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Impressive
Vote out.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Chi019
There are huge benefits to leaving, from lower energy costs, taxes, ability to negotiate better trade deals etc.

Also, Europe has no willingness to stem the accelerating tide of migrants from Africa & the Middle East. As the population in Africa doubles to 2 billion before 2050, Europe's welfare systems will be overrun with people heading over.

Yup, pretty much. The world doesn't revolve around you, mate :smile:

Wait has Juncker started celebrating?

[video="youtube;XPgiI46FCDU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPgiI46FCDU[/video]
Original post by Audrey18
Wait has Juncker started celebrating?

[video="youtube;XPgiI46FCDU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPgiI46FCDU[/video]

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
The indoctrination system is working well it seems. Going to have some fun on this forum with all the more educated members who believe every thing they learn is true :tongue:
Original post by Iknowbest
The indoctrination system is working well it seems. Going to have some fun on this forum with all the more educated members who believe every thing they learn is true :tongue:

Are you remain or leave?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leave.. why should a group of un-elected members have any authority over the public of the UK? We elect (well try to elect) government based on how they say they can improve our lives.. and at least have a vote each year (locally) it makes NO sense to allow this EU dictatorship to have any control over our lives here in the UK!

Did you watch the Gotthard Base Tunnel ceremony and who attended? It might be art to some people.. it is damn right weird to others and it seems the EU are in support of anything that damages societies (in my opinion) to levels that simply do not make sense! When something doesn't make sense to me, i question the motives behind it.
I am undoubtedly voting to LEAVE.

The primary reason I'm voting leave? My dads industry has been devastated by the EU and the import of cheap labour from abroad. 10/12 years ago my dads job as a coded welder on various power stations and North Sea oil rigs was extremely well paid. Now he's in and out of work all the time and can barley get a start anymore, because now job agencies have taken over practically every power station, engineering and fab shop job in my area using cheap labour from abroad. The only thing he can get are temporary jobs, for a couple of months at the most and paying a lot less than what he use to be on.

I don't blame those coming to the UK, I mean the average salary of someone in Poland is 400 Euros a month, Romania is even less at 200 Euros a month, so its very enticing for them to come over and work as the basic salary for someone in the UK is about 1,400 Euros a month, but British and local people in my dads industry who are out of work should get priority first. If there are any vacancies left then import labour from the EU as a secondary option. This is an industry my dad has been involved in since the early 1980s so knows it exceptionally well and he's seen the steady decline over the past decade. He often says times are tougher for him now than in the mid 1980s, when there was quite a lot of strike action. My dad also knows of at least 40 or so people out of work, all within walking distance from large industrial plants and the likes, being repaired and maintained on foreign labour, whilst they are all out of work and unable to get a start on the various projects, because jobs agencies have taken the maintenance contracts over and are paying peanuts to foreign workers, who think they are on a good wage.

This import of cheap labour has ruined the standard bluebook pay rate, which use to be a "minimum" of about £17.00 an hour, whereas those from abroad are more than happy working 16 hours a day for minimum wage, all thanks to the EU. That's no good for my dad, 10 years back he was on quintuple (5 times) that amount, especially when he did a stretch on a North Sea Oil rig. No employees in our area want to pay for good quality welding anymore, because they know they can get it done on the cheap through job agencies at a quarter of the price. Even if the quality is very mediocre and they have to get a welding repair its still cheaper than paying someone extensively qualified and certified to the job in the first place.

My family has only started to do well over these past four years or so because my mums business venture has taken off and started to do very well, otherwise my dad and many of his former work colleagues are in exactly the same situation and all have had a rather terrible time getting work over the last few years. I should know i’ve lived through it for about seven years now. The referendum is something which is quite close to me as its affected my family on a personal level and this is why I'm voting leave. Other people may love the EU and I'm sure if my dads industry was booming and he was bringing home about several thousand £'s a week (before tax) like he use to do i’d be voting remain, but when it's affecting my family and my way of life I completely draw the line.

I also remember when my dad along with many, many others walked out during the Lindsey Oil Refinery strikes of 2009. We even have a meeting about it at my school The teacher who was leading this class meeting were calling the strikers racists and biggots. I was utterly shocked and shouted at the teacher I was that angry. I ended up calling the teacher a disgrace and said "you'd be doing the same if that was happening in your industry and you'd most likely be taking the teachers board to a tribunal. Do you honestly think that they're going to stand back and watch their jobs disappear to cheap EU labour? The teacher didn't know what to say. He ended up leaving teaching not long after this whole thing as well, doubtful it was for this reason, but who knows.

Another thing what grinds my gears is the fact that because a lot of my dads more recent work is/was mainly self-employed and freelance based, he is entitled to 0 amount of benefits whatsoever, when his temp work ends. He isn't even able to get JSA, this is despite being in the 40% income tax threshold for many years, so has paid his fair share of tax. Whereas someone coming over from an EU country can start their benefits claim and get support pretty much immediately. I know this because a friend of mine works in a job centre and they say this kind of thing happens multiple times a week.

What we certainly need if we choose to remain is completely a reformed EU, because at the moment all it is doing is driving our standard of living down to the likes of the poorer EU countries. I think if the were able to introduced a points based system, where proper qualified people could compete for the job that would be far more fair. Then if there truly is a shortage of certain jobs thats when to import EU labour.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending