The Student Room Group

Which University is best?

Would you guys advise going to a top University (Durham) over choosing a course that would be better for me. I could either study computer science at Durham or I could study computer science but with a focus on games development at Nottingham. I don't know what to do as Durham would be an amazing university to go to but the course doenpsnt seem as exciting. Pls help me
Andrew
EDIT: it's nottingham TRENT uni xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I would definitley go for the course that actually excites you, you'll be much happier and do better if you're really enjoying it.
Reply 2
Original post by Kwame502
I would definitley go for the course that actually excites you, you'll be much happier and do better if you're really enjoying it.

Ok thanks :smile: very helpful
You need the right balance, a good uni but also make sure the course is right for you (if you enjoy it, better chance of you doing well and getting a 1st). Both are good uni's, so go with what you think would be better for you.
University of Brighton
Reply 5
Original post by Call Me Juan
University of Brighton

I've seen brighton university and from the pictures nottingham looks better :frown:
Original post by Nattress
Would you guys advise going to a top University (Durham) over choosing a course that would be better for me. I could either study computer science at Durham or I could study computer science but with a focus on games development at Nottingham. I don't know what to do as Durham would be an amazing university to go to but the course doenpsnt seem as exciting. Pls help me
Andrew

??

Nottingham isn't a 'downgrade' in terms of CS? Where'd you get that idea? I decided against applying to Durham actually because their course structure didn't look as appealing. Felt like they bunched a lot of the topics into one and there didn't seem to be as many options available for the later years of the degree.

If this were History or something, Durham may have the upper hand but in CS (hell, not even CS a lot of subjects) the two universities are pretty much on par.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
??

Nottingham isn't a 'downgrade' in terms of CS? Where'd you get that idea? I decided against applying to Durham actually because their course structure didn't look as appealing. Felt like they bunched a lot of the topics into one and there didn't seem to be as many options available for the later years of the degree.

If this were History or something, Durham may have the upper hand but in CS (hell, not even CS a lot of subjects) the two universities are pretty much on par.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*I meant Nottingham Trent, my bad. And i am on the durham supported progression scheme so I'd get paid £5k a year to go, which would really help. I am worried that everyone at Durham will be very posh, I'm from the north east so im not xD
Edit: I dont think that Durhams course would be very fun though
(edited 7 years ago)
Best universities? Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE are in a league of their own.

There is a discernible gap between Durham and Nottingham but they're both RG so it's not like the latter will hold you back in terms of your career prospects :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Indeterminate
Best universities? Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE are in a league of their own.

There is a discernible gap between Durham and Nottingham but they're both RG so it's not like the latter will hold you back in terms of your career prospects :smile:

I don't think nottingham trent is russel group :/
*I meant Nottingham Trent, my bad. And i am on the durham supported progression scheme so I'd get paid £5k a year to go, which would really help. I am worried that everyone at Durham will be very posh, I'm from the north east so im not xD

I would definitely go for Durham, rather than Nottingham Trent. If you compare them on Unistats, Durham has a £7000 greater average starting salary. Trent has 25% of graduates unemployed, Durham has 5%. All employed Durham graduates were in a "professional or managerial role", only 70% of Trent's were. Durham has 84% of students saying "overall I am satisfied with the course", Trent has 78%. And you're getting paid £5k to go! (Those stats are from small sample sizes, so take them with a pinch of salt, but I think they give a rough idea of the difference).

I wouldn't worry too much about Durham being posh -- there will be more people from private schools than other universities, but the majority of people will still be from state schools, and I'm sure you'd be able to get along with some of the posh people!
I don't think nottingham trent is russel group :/

Oh I see :lol:

Needless to say that Durham is way better than NT so I think you'd be much better off there even though the course may seem a little less exciting :yep:

Ahh, that makes things more difficult. I'd probably swallow my pride wrt people being posh, take the money and go to Durham. The course may not be as 'fun' but you're getting a substantial grant and a decent brand stamp on your CV.
Durham > Nottingham as an overall university
Durham =/= Nottingham for CS

Durham >>>>> Nottingham Trent
Durham >>>>> Nottingham Trent for CS

If it were Durham/UoN then I'd say UoN
but its not
go Durham
Reply 14
Thanks guys, you've been very helpful. All i need now is to get in.....:frown:
Uni of Bolton
I've seen brighton university and from the pictures nottingham looks better :frown:

was joking hunni, don't go brighton!
Andrew
EDIT: it's nottingham TRENT uni xD

The course should come first along with if you actually like the place the league tables should be the very last thing you consider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending