The Student Room Group

WJEC BY1 (resit) Thread

How did everyone find the paper, and how did you find the centrifuging question?
When I first flicked through it I thought it was fine but some questions were just worded weirdly, especially the red blood cell graph one:angry: which was the centrifuging one again? Forgotten already
The one about water potential? I had to rewrite my answer so many times! All in all I thought it was a fair paper, maybe a bit harder than the previous years but I thought it went pretty well. Which 10 marker did you choose? I chose the one about immobilised enzymes
Reply 3
I have mixed emotions, messed up a few times think I've lost a quite few marks on mistakes. The cellular function I put produces metabolic water but don't know if it will give me the marks and I put leaf as a tissue! Others were due to not even thinking, just hope I've boosted my UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah the that's the one I meant previously, where it was 0-3mm mol or something like that. It was 6 marks and I definitely lost them all I just couldn't get my head round it then I didn't have enough time to do it properly at the end. I definitely lost small silly marks too, more than I have been in past papers :frown: I don't think you'll get the metabolic water one as it said cellular in bold, assumingly trying to steer you away from that. I wrote source of energy when the C--H bonds break but I don't think I'll get that either. I've literally memorised the textbook and their function within a cell was not mentioned so I presumed they were trying to confuse us. I did the mitosis 10 marker and it screwed me that it was a plant cell and not an animal because it doesn't say in the book how spindle fibres form if there's no centrioles. did you guys get 0.1 for the calculation?
Original post by Rhyss01
I have mixed emotions, messed up a few times think I've lost a quite few marks on mistakes. The cellular function I put produces metabolic water but don't know if it will give me the marks and I put leaf as a tissue! Others were due to not even thinking, just hope I've boosted my UMS

What did you get last year?
Posted from TSR Mobile

That paper was a bitch aside from the first couple of questions, the water question and the 10 marker.... wth was the water potential question?! I had to use the extra paper to explain myself with a diagram XP also apparently blood is a tissue? where was that in the revision guide?!
Reply 7
Original post by alevelsarepoo
Yeah the that's the one I meant previously, where it was 0-3mm mol or something like that. It was 6 marks and I definitely lost them all I just couldn't get my head round it then I didn't have enough time to do it properly at the end. I definitely lost small silly marks too, more than I have been in past papers :frown: I don't think you'll get the metabolic water one as it said cellular in bold, assumingly trying to steer you away from that. I wrote source of energy when the C--H bonds break but I don't think I'll get that either. I've literally memorised the textbook and their function within a cell was not mentioned so I presumed they were trying to confuse us. I did the mitosis 10 marker and it screwed me that it was a plant cell and not an animal because it doesn't say in the book how spindle fibres form if there's no centrioles. did you guys get 0.1 for the calculation?

Yeah I thought metabolic might be one since the others functions were protection and stuff and the phospholipid as bilayer. For the haemoglobin there was a lower solute concentration of outside so water moves in by osmosis and haemoglobin is released causing the low transmission of light. Don't know what I had for the other part but for the rate I had 0.1 yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by AllyParnell
That paper was a bitch aside from the first couple of questions, the water question and the 10 marker.... wth was the water potential question?! I had to use the extra paper to explain myself with a diagram XP also apparently blood is a tissue? where was that in the revision guide?!

I thought exactly the same since I realised a leaf was an organ as soon as I got home. Apparently it's a connective tissue???tf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Ahh B, I'm 31 UMS off an A. So roughly 11 UMS in BY1 BY4 and BY5 but strangely this can be achieved by increase in as little as 10 marks on some papers but don't know if it works out on all 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhyss01
Yeah I thought metabolic might be one since the others functions were protection and stuff and the phospholipid as bilayer. For the haemoglobin there was a lower solute concentration of outside so water moves in by osmosis and haemoglobin is released causing the low transmission of light. Don't know what I had for the other part but for the rate I had 0.1 yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah someone explained it to me and I get it now I just didn't have enough time as I left it til the end. What 10 marker did you do?
Yeah someone explained it to me and I get it now I just didn't have enough time as I left it til the end. What 10 marker did you do?

I spent about 10 minutes thinking about it it was a pain but I bet others found it tricky so hopefully grade boundaries will lower. I did the immobilised enzymes with biosensor for diabetics. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhyss01
I spent about 10 minutes thinking about it it was a pain but I bet others found it tricky so hopefully grade boundaries will lower. I did the immobilised enzymes with biosensor for diabetics. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I spent ages trying to work it out too but it just ate up too much time so had to leave it and scribble down something that I knew was wrong at the end :frown: I did the mitosis one but it screwed me a bit as it was about plants because they don't have centrioles and it doesn't say in the textbook how they synthesise the spindle fibres without it. I don't think the grade boundaries will be low either because most people are saying the paper was easy overall which I didn't find but didn't think it was impossible either
Original post by Rhyss01

Posted from TSR Mobile

did you speak about the advantages? I put 3 advantages but i'm a bit worried that wasn't enough? also spoke about milk, diabetes and pregnancy
Original post by Iloveclouds
did you speak about the advantages? I put 3 advantages but i'm a bit worried that wasn't enough? also spoke about milk, diabetes and pregnancy

Yeah I just linked them with the medicine and industry like for example that they can be reused and stuff. You get a mark for using words such as biosensor and stuff, so you've probably achieved full marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I think there were a couple tricky questions in that paper, lets just hope the grade boundaries are low :/
Original post by mattyk5
I think there were a couple tricky questions in that paper, lets just hope the grade boundaries are low :/

Agreed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending